Silver Task Force Teleconference

16 Mar 2018


Jan, Charles, Shari, Jeanne, Kelsey, Imelda, Jemma, Shawn, Camron
jeanne, shawn


last minute details for Design Sprint

Jeanne: Can anyone print up name tags for participants? Just realized we should have these.

Shari: Sure, I can do that.

Jeanne: Thank you! [+1 from me]
... How many people do we have, so I can check the room?

Shawn: We have exactly 30. Adding Michael makes 31.

Jeanne: Getting materials, flipchart, tape, and such. Let's start with Camron, to talk through activities to figure out what exactly we need.

Camron: I'll talk through things. We'll have 30 of the most influential, knowledgeable people on accessibility in the room and we really want to make the most of the two days that we have.
... On day 0, we have a meet and greet on Sunday. Jeanne, will you be there?

<silver> I have a confilct so I have to leave the meeting around 9 ish. I would like to know what arrangement will be needed for the payment of foods.

Jeanne: Yes, Charles and I will be there.

Camron: Getting to know the other people in the group helps out a lot. Getting to know perspectives, background, how people work, communication, really helps out a lot for collaboration.
... For people who don't make it, that's okay. On day 1, we'll start off with some introductions and ice breakers for about an hour.
... Then we'll move on to getting a shared understanding of what we want to achieve and then reviewing what we know - the research summary, so we all have the same data to work with.
... We'll have a break in there and then we'll have a lunch hour.

Jeanne: We'll have lunch delivered. My husband will run errands and help us with what we need.

Jemma: We should figure out the logistics of my paying for lunch.

Jeanne: Let's talk later on, you and I, to figure that out?

All: Thank you for covering lunch, Jemma!

Camron: After lunch, we'll come back at 1:15 on the dot, full of energy, and start to define and identify some ideas.
... One way we can do this, we'll create some "How might we...?" ideas. We'll want to generate not solutions at this point, but things like "How might we address some issue of the spec?" (I'll have some examples ready for Monday)
... We'll start to refine assumptions, and then take a quick break.
... At 3:00pm, we'll diverge. When we diverge, we'll have some small group activities, starting to focus on the goals, figuring out "What are the key issues?".
... In two days, we'll not solve every issue, so we'll want to allow different groups to own different issues and make the progress that we can.

Jeanne: We'll have six weeks after the design sprint to come up with a requirements document, so we'll want to spend more time generating ideas and necessarily refining them in the exercise.

Jennison: Jeanne and Shawn, have you organized your wedding reception group assignments?

Lauriat: Nope, we'll get there.

Camron: We can use an activity called "Crazy 8s" to generate ideas. Shawn pointed out the need to accommodate how participants can go through this exercise, and we don't have to adhere exactly to the piece of paper technique...
... People can keep track of the ideas in whatever way works best for them, the goal is to create eight ideas from each person.
... and then we'll vote on the ideas. I'd like some input on voting methods that would work best for this group, whether hands raised or something else.

Jeanne: We could use drive and create a form on the fly that people could access however they need to.

Lauriat: I would worry about the technical difficulties derailing things.

[group discusses several options and scribe doesn't catch them all]

Jeanne: We do need to make sure that however the groups track these ideas, we'll need to collect or convert them digitally so that we can save everything in Drive for reference.

Camron: Something I had planned to do, through pictures and such, and I'll collect them all so that we can share them after the end of the design sprint.

Jeanne: We may have students from the university who could volunteer to take notes and collect things.

Jennison: We need to make sure to factor them in for seats and also lunches.

Kelsey: This group has mostly worked remotely. Could we have any way to dial in for the design sprint?

<silver> I have to leave for another meeting. please let me know if you have more info about food arrangement.

Camron: It wouldn't really have the same experience.

<silver> see you all at San Diego.;-)

Jeanne: In my experience, it ends up as a huge distraction for people in the room, as we'd need to pass around a device to keep those on the call in the loop.
... We'll try to get people to keep notes in IRC, so you can follow along there. You can ping me on Skype and if/as appropriate, I can try to have you dial in.

Charles: We could put together a Skype meeting for the debrief.

Kelsey: That'd be great, thank you!
... if up for Skype for the introduction, I'd appreciate following along with that as well.

Jeanne: Absolutely!

Camron: If okay with this group, I'll continue walking through the agenda?

Jeanne: Yep!

Camron: Talking about the decide phase Tuesday morning, we want to get consensus.
... We won't vote just once. We'll vote to get some ideas, even on part of an idea, to vote and hone in on what to focus on.
... We'll do that multiple times to get a really good idea of what we want to prototype.
... We'll take a break and then get into the prototype activity. Explore an idea to see what it would look like, how would it work?
... We'll take a break for lunch and then continue prototyping after lunch. At this point, toward the end of the second day, we'll get into testing.
... Question how well it applies, run through scenarios.
... In prototyping, you put yourself in the perspective of the user, how would it feel to go through using this?
... After some validation, we'll talk through some next steps, wrap up to document next action items, and put together a summary of how complete or confident a given prototype is to the group.

Jennison: The voting that happens on Tuesday morning, will it use the same process as the previous voting style?

Camron: Yes.

Jennison: Let's talk through the voting style now, rather than figure it out on the spot next week.

Camron: That'd be great.
... I'll tweak the schedule and activities a little bit before we get there. How are decisions going to be made? Majority, unanimous? We should make that clear to participants before making a given decision.

Jeanne: We should use consensus, but we have some backup ideas.

Charles: The decisions we need to make in the room to progress to any conclusions made Wednesday are made by consensus or, if not, by majority. This just informs what goes into testing in order to make the really final decisions.

Camron: Do those same rules apply during the design sprint?

Jeanne: There aren't strict rules aside from what goes into the specification must happen by consensus.
... I don't think we have any strict rules about how a face to face meeting runs.

Lauriat: We should use voting to see where we should go, rather than some strict consensus.

Charles: So not really voting, we won't have any "no" votes, but more to get a sense of where we should go.

Camron: Sounds like final decisions will be made outside of the design sprint, so any decisions aren't binding? Given that, I think we can use whatever method we think will work best for the group.
... And we'll document all of the ideas and the decisions made so that we can go back to see where things came from.

Jeanne: We'll need to enforce this, as we'll have people in the room used to W3C methods and think that they apply in the design sprint.

Camron: Taking notes on that.

Jennison: So what about the actual voting technique itself?

Camron: Do we have to have the same technique for all people in all activities?

Jennison: Ideally, yes.

Jeanne: For small groups, we could do it differently than the large group.

Lauriat: Writing down the prefered ideas to track what they want to vote on? Would work better for the small groups rather than large.

Jennison: I have a question: on Monday, is it that the small groups will be looking at the 80 or 100 ideas and within the groups and then it'll go down to a smaller group for Tuesday?

Camron: Yes, so we won't carry the same volume through each step, voting and then condensing at each step.

Kelsey: Will each group have a moderator who'll keep that happening?

Camron: Hoping that the groups do that themselves, as a matter of driving the group's voting.

<Kelsey> *drill down technique :)

Jennison: I think within the groups, from an accessibility perspective, the narrowing down will prove easier since they can figure out what works best for them.

[group talks through how to set better mentality around prioritization, rather than voting in or out]

Jeanne: How many people should we have in each group?

Camron: Ideally four or five. Easier to remember people's names.

Kelsey: Maybe not quite an icebreaker, but maybe asking why people got involved in accessibility?

Jeanne: Absolutely agreed.

<Charles> can you send me the directions?

Jeanne: Reminder, no meetings next week, for those not at CSUN!

Summary of Action Items

Summary of Resolutions

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.152 (CVS log)
$Date: 2018/03/16 15:10:52 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.152  of Date: 2017/02/06 11:04:15  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: Irssi_ISO8601_Log_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Present: Jan Charles Shari Jeanne Kelsey Imelda Jemma Shawn Camron
Regrets: David
No ScribeNick specified.  Guessing ScribeNick: Lauriat
Inferring Scribes: Lauriat
Found Date: 16 Mar 2018
People with action items: 

WARNING: IRC log location not specified!  (You can ignore this 
warning if you do not want the generated minutes to contain 
a link to the original IRC log.)

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]