Silver Task Force Teleconference

06 Feb 2018


Jan, JaeunJemmaKu, Charles, Shawn, Jannison, Kelsey, JohnM, jeanne, Imelda
Shawn, Jeanne


<Lauriat> trackbot, start meeting

<trackbot> Meeting: Silver Task Force Teleconference

<trackbot> Date: 06 February 2018

San Diego face-to-face meeting invitation additions & responses

<jeanne> Shawn: we now have 17 people confirmed

<jeanne> Jeanne: We had a good interview with Wayne Dick, who had thoughtful consideration and creative ideas for Silver. Jan and I would like to recommend that we invite him to the design sprint,

<jeanne> Jan: I will send the invite

Jan - sent an invite to Kevin Johnson for the design sprint - haven't heard back yet.

Research updates & reviews

Shawn: 17 people have RSVPd yes to attend

Jan: interview update - 5/12 interviews are complete. Very interesting ones - finding good justifications from ppl both inside and outside WCAG for moving to plain language (move away from legal language)

*Jeanne & Jan

Jan: haven't invited Lani to the design sprint

Jeanne: there will be more international interviews around policy

<jeanne> Kelsey: [Reviewing changes to the conformance survey]

<jeanne> ... concerned that there are too many open response questions.

<jeanne> ... in the Legal and Regulatory section there are 4 open ended, 5 in total. 30 questions total

<jeanne> Jennison: I'm concerned that people may get tired of surveys.

<jeanne> Jeanne: Sarah's survey was months ago and we have no plans for another survey after this.

Kelsey: I will send the Accessibility Guidelines survey out for everyone's review before we launch it.

Jeanne: job stories, problem statements, research analysis, literature review paper (everything we're putting together for the design sprint) - these will inform the reports

Shawn: 1/3 of the way through to review paper from Eleanor, may complete by tomorrow or Friday

Jeanne: will begin interview analysis next week - they will share the summary with our Silver Task Force group

How to present our findings

Jeanne: Had a good meeting with Michael Cooper yesterday. He had suggestions for us based on past experience. The cognitive accessibility task force did a 2 yr research project. When that research reached the WCAG working group it was largely overlooked. Could've had more impact.
... How will we present our findings so people actually read it?

Charles: The Silver Community Group should publish our research as a report in the community group (rather than in the WIKI) - focus on executive summaries, rather than academic depth

Jeanne: Do a summary paper which includes highlights of all of the research. Break into 3 sections: conformance, usability & maintenance

Jan: People always ask "is there any research on that." We have to be really thoughtful about the categories of info we've gathered. Define the categories. List gap areas in the research. This could help inform a paper. Categorizing is VIP.

Jeanne: Do you have a template in mind, Jan could set up on the WIKI?

Jan: I can work on this but might need help.

Jeanne: we have the research questions & Jemma has info from literature review that would be helpful.

Jemma - had extra categories. But I'm focusing on 3 things (conformance, usability & maintenance).

Jeanne: Jemma, can you share the full list of categories with Jan? Just need access to digital libraries to see this list.

Charles: I mentioned "executive summary" because that's the approach we take at my agency.

Jeanne: I'm thinking we need a summary that may be a report (or slide deck). We need to use plain language.

Jan: When people ask for research, it's usually comes from not knowing how to solve a problem. We need to be careful w/ how we respond to that.

Jeanne: need to write up analysis (from audience research). Notes from Toronto, Bay Area meeting and other research.

Kelsey: I can work on this.

Shawn: Reach out to others in W3C community to see if they have bandwidth.

John: I'm not clear on what's involved. But I'm happy to help.

Kelsey + John + Jeanne to set up a call to discuss this research.

Summary of Action Items

Summary of Resolutions

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.152 (CVS log)
$Date: 2018/02/06 16:16:10 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.152  of Date: 2017/02/06 11:04:15  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: Irssi_ISO8601_Log_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s|w/ Ima|w/ Makoto|
Succeeded: s/(who used to work for the DOJ), talking about policy and the law w/ her during the research interviews.//
Succeeded: s|her during the research interviews.// her during the research interviews.||
Succeeded: s|w/ Makoto ( on Japanese policy).||
Present: Jan JaeunJemmaKu Charles Shawn Jannison Kelsey JohnM jeanne Imelda
No ScribeNick specified.  Guessing ScribeNick: Kelsey
Inferring Scribes: Kelsey
Found Date: 06 Feb 2018
People with action items: 

WARNING: Input appears to use implicit continuation lines.
You may need the "-implicitContinuations" option.

WARNING: IRC log location not specified!  (You can ignore this 
warning if you do not want the generated minutes to contain 
a link to the original IRC log.)

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]