Spatial Data on the Web Best Practices subgroup call

17 January 2018

Meeting Minutes

<MichaelGordon> https://‌github.com/‌w3c/‌sdw/‌blob/‌gh-pages/‌bp/‌work-items-and-activities.md

MichaelGordon: Link to work items and activities from last meeting (see link)
… discuss potential actions and milestones - what is our plan
… A small group meeting monthly.
… Some organisations we might want to approach, some potential activities including gathering examples
… and lastly the list of known gaps

<josephabhayaratna> +1 for encouraging adoption

MichaelGordon: Interest in adoption activities?

<MichaelGordon> +1

<ClemensPortele> +1

<brinkwoman> +1

ChrisLittle: Interest in the "Describing dataset structure and service behaviors" gap

MichaelGordon: That is something that we could work on later during the year

MichaelGordon: Main focus on adoption encouragement and evangelising

MichaelGordon: We have a list on the GitHub page. Anything to add, organisations you are already working on/with?

ChrisLittle: Simon already started ... (sorry, I missed that)

brinkwoman: The Open Data Institute could also be a good connection

MichaelGordon: Anyone has connections to ODI?

<AndreaPerego> Not me.

<AndreaPerego> I guess we are talking about http://‌openag.io/

MichaelGordon: Let's put this on the list after the call and see if anyone in the wider group has connections

brinkwoman: Use W3C developer meetups?

MichaelGordon: Absolutely, let's use the W3C connections

ChrisLittle: Presentation at the INSPIRE Conference in September 2018 (Antwerp)

<AndreaPerego> https://‌inspire.ec.europa.eu/‌events/‌inspire-conference-2018

josephabhayaratna: Government in general (data publication)

MichaelGordon: There are already such activities in the UK

<brinkwoman> I meant https://‌theodi.org

josephabhayaratna: Is the linked data group in the UK still active?

<AndreaPerego> Thanks, Linda!

MichaelGordon: Yes, currently focussed on registers

josephabhayaratna: Something similar going on in Australia

<brinkwoman> There's also the dutch linked data group www.pldn.nl

MichaelGordon: One of the heads of ODI has been at OS recently

ClemensPortele: Should we also include links to publicly available material promoting the SDWBP on the GitHub page?

MichaelGordon: Yes, good idea

MichaelGordon: Lets discuss the messaging, what messages do we want to emphasize

ChrisLittle: Should we think by domains? A big community is the space community, working in their silo.

<josephabhayaratna> +1 for giving that a go

MichaelGordon: Do we think structuring by domain is a good idea?

<MichaelGordon> +1

MichaelGordon: Please add domains (and your name) on the github page

AndreaPerego: one of the topics is interoperability of spatial and statistical data
… address specific bits together with the statistical sub-group?

<AndreaPerego> This especially applies to UNGGIM.

MichaelGordon: So, we got a few actions to go through. That helps with the immediate milestones.
… Any thoughts on milestones for the next three months or so?

<AndreaPerego> Need to think about it...

brinkwoman: An idea - could a compliance validator be created?

<AndreaPerego> +1 to brinkwoman

MichaelGordon: generally in favour, not really clear how it might work, but it clearly would be helpful
… add it to the github page and see what could be done

ClemensPortele: I will mostly focus on the WFS 3.0 work over the next three months

MichaelGordon: Maybe add some more notes on this on the github page

ClemensPortele: Will do

MichaelGordon: Between now and the next call, let's flesh out the organisations, domains, messaging, etc.
… Plan from month to month. Look into compliance testing.

<brinkwoman> +1

MichaelGordon: Would this be good progress for the next 3 months?

<ClemensPortele> +1 (yes, good at this stage)

brinkwoman: W3C should also be on the list of organisations - we are not yet that visible in W3C

MichaelGordon: Absolutely! I will have a word with Francois.

MichaelGordon: Anything else for today?

brinkwoman: Jeremy and I will get in touch with MichaelGordon to discuss agenda at the F2F

Minutes formatted by Bert Bos's scribe.perl version 2.37 (2017/11/06 19:13:35), a reimplementation of David Booth's scribe.perl. See CVS log.