Accessible Platform Architectures Working Group Teleconference

13 Dec 2017


janina, MichaelC, jasonjgw, scott_h, shadi


<scribe> scribe: janina

Brief updates and discussion - Virtual reality, Web of Things, Navigation, Authentication, etc.

jgw: Looking to go around with issue updates from everyone ...
... Have been adding Scott's contributions to our Wiki, still needs some formatting ...
... Have also found an additional WoT related paper, also GPII related ...
... Still reading

sh: Likewsie

jgw: Have also discovered some good GPII related papers
... Interesting work at EU Cloud for All performing server-side cuspersonalizations

<jasonjgw> Janina suspects personalization task force facilitators are aware.

<jasonjgw> Janina is still to make progress with Authentication (a recent working draft has been published) - we still need to set up a conversation with them. There's also the next round of VR discussion.

<jasonjgw> Janina is still planning the VR conversation. Reasonable conversation in this area would cover virtual reality, mixed reality and augmented reality.

<jasonjgw> Janina notes that recent PC hardware is on the market with a strong VR emphasis.

<jasonjgw> We assume this is influenced by Microsoft's OS-level support for VR. We speculate that Web applications will follow.

sh: Believe our work on VR will cover much for AR as well

<jasonjgw> Janina notes significant discussion at TPAC of how navigation will be managed (accessibly) in 3D environments.

jgw: nOting new hw is making our XR deliberations, esp re nav, more challenging

sh: So do we think we take our VR and add based on AR considerations?

jgw: Possibly
... Second strand would be research related to navigation issues
... Nav will apply, even though the nav issue covers more than XR; also CSS, SVG etc

sh: Suspect there is good work we should review

<jasonjgw> Janina notes that the issues arising from CSS need to be addressed from a research perspective in addition to those emerging from VR/AR.

<jasonjgw> We now have several contributors interested in CSS accessibility. We need joint meetings of parties interested in the conversation. RQTF is an important contributor.

sa: Explored topic with J. Ellis recently

sh: Good attendance at VR Workshop, many developers
... So there was a fair level of a11y expertise in the room, some had even worked on a11y VR
... I have names and contact info

sa: Emerging issues included:
... Where to go for guidance?
... Implementation guidance
... Believe there are resources already in a11y gaming that would apply
... Already some developer frameworks, may need a11y tooling
... Also discussed applying ARIA which has impressed people
... Noted ARIA good for describing objects
... Could it be used to describe interactions?
... e.g. what can I do with this object?

jgw: Believe there's some of this ability to associate actions with objects already on some platforms

mc: ARIA aware of the need, it's not an ARIA-1.2 feature, however
... Possibly AOM would take this up
... Concrete reqs would be helpful

sa: None yet

mc: Seems we would need a generalized approach, not a specific set of actions


sa: Also, info overload strategies is an important consideration
... Perhaps cascading levels of info
... Not just a screen reader issu, also captioning

<jasonjgw> Janina notes that in perception generally, we're always filtering - directing our attention to only some of what is perceptually available.

jgw: Recalling a paper on this ...

js: Suggests everyone filters

sa: So how to support a11y in that
... Noting discussion on how to select what needs to be filtered, and what noted via authoring
... Also nav discussion
... Preference is for nav to be in headset--environment adjusts as participants move
... Also seems to be a problem re natural movements, head only? Often whole body to change perspective
... Also, traditional nav controls can create problems, joystick isn't a controller for accessinb one's environment

jgw: Thanks SA
... Want to pause for scheduling conversation ... Noting upcoming hollidays

[group determines to resume 10 January]

Summary of Action Items

Summary of Resolutions

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.152 (CVS log)
$Date: 2017/12/13 15:01:40 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.152  of Date: 2017/02/06 11:04:15  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: Irssi_ISO8601_Log_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/sh/sa/
Default Present: janina, MichaelC, jasonjgw, scott_h, shadi
Present: janina MichaelC jasonjgw scott_h shadi
Found Scribe: janina
Inferring ScribeNick: janina

WARNING: No meeting chair found!
You should specify the meeting chair like this:
<dbooth> Chair: dbooth

Found Date: 13 Dec 2017
People with action items: 

WARNING: Input appears to use implicit continuation lines.
You may need the "-implicitContinuations" option.

WARNING: IRC log location not specified!  (You can ignore this 
warning if you do not want the generated minutes to contain 
a link to the original IRC log.)

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]