Silver Task Force Teleconference

28 Nov 2017


jaeunjemmaku, Imelda, jeanne, Charles, Josie, Shawn, Ryan
Shawn, jeanne


<scribe> scribe: jeanne

Jeanne: Mike Paciello has arranged for a room at San Diego State University

Shawn: Start time, end time, food, live captioning or ASL interpreters?

Jeanne: We aren't required to use to use the SDSU food service. THere are local restaurants who will deliver. I think I have the food donation covered.

Shawn: Live captioning won't be a lot of help when we break into groups for the design part.

San Diego face-to-face meeting logistics

zakim take up item 2

Charles: I recommend a different structure
... start with a design statement
... who the solution is designed for, could be done with a jobs list and a jobs story format.
... document on Google drive
... Insight vs Personas

Shawn: I think we don't need personas for every thing, but personas are useful when we think about how we present the information for different tasks: Like checking compliance, or looking for a design pattern.
... that is important for information architecture

Charles: We need to understand the goal and intent of the person using it.

Ryan: I'm having my own conversations around color issues. There are people who are experts on accessibility for PDFs. They have specific needs and there are certain questions that they won't have to ask or consider, and there are certain things that are more important. I think we should consider goals of the person.
... for example: Developers can make changes with javascript, designers can make changes upfront.

Shawn: We have a stakeholder list, we can look at the intersection of use, and select the ones that give us a good cross section for use cases.

Jennison: In the example of the PDF user, how would you handle that?

Charles: Personas often omit the goal of the user and the problems they have. In the case of the PDF example, the task is identified, the goal. They don't have specific persona. It doesn't matter if they are young old or visually impaired, they are coming to WCAG with accomplish a task.
... I'm suggesting we have the job story format.

Ryan: I've found that food metaphors work really well. Our people -- the designer or developer -- makes their cake or souflee in different ways. If we draw analogies to cooking, we would look at the tasks that the designer or developer does.

Jeanne: I sent David a link to the document and asked him to be at the meeting on Friday.

Charles: Looking at the Stakeholder Spreadsheet. I propose adding a colunm for certification. Does it fall under an existing category?

Shawn: Each of the definitions in the Stakeholder Map errs on the side of vagueness rather than specificity.
... there is a role of professional industry/organization.

Jennsion: There are two pieces of certification: Administration and developing

Charles: I don't see anything under research.

[scribe missed the resolution of this]

San Diego face-to-face meeting structure of the event

Shawn: Problems to address:
... inclusion of more disabilities
... easier to tell how well you conform
... easier to maintaion
... how do we make accessibility guidelines easier to use for all the uses that people have? A common feedback is that WCAG is hard to use.
... Looking at the structure of the day, I think we should have problem statements and break people into small groups to address the individual problems.

Jennison: IF we go ahead with SDSU, can we get extra rooms?

Jeanne: I can ask.

Jennsion: I think we should ask for 5 rooms.

Shawn: 3 problem statements: conformance, maintenance and usability.

Jeanne: I think we started with talking with the first day being panel discussions of the

Shawn: First half of first day be panel discussions on the problem statements
... second half of first day split into groups and do brainstorming activities -- no boundaries, just ideas
... first half of the second day is rough prototyping of the ideas -- like a couple rough prototypes and walk them through the prototypes of conformance model.
... repeat for each of the problem statements

Jemma: Are we going to have experts in each room?

Jeanne: We could, we want to have a variety of experts on each of the issues. We don't want an echo chamber.

Jennison: We want to make sure there is a balance of people in each group.

Jeanne: And we need to do that this week.

Jemma: I can put together information from the literature review
... I have data on usability and conformance, but I don't have much on maintanence.

Shawn: We have the information architecture around the guidelines
... the numbering scheme discussion comes to mind: How do we add new information without a confusing number scheme?

Jemma: Can jennison and Jeanne write up what the maintenance problem is, and I can look for it in the background literature review.

Charles: I see two problems: governance of the documentation and research that feeds it -- changes in the industry and new technology

<Charles> i can write an example job story for each row in the stakeholder spreadsheet

Jennsion: can we get access to the data from Sarah's project?

<scribe> scribenick: jeanne

Summary of Action Items

Summary of Resolutions

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.152 (CVS log)
$Date: 2017/11/28 17:41:00 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.152  of Date: 2017/02/06 11:04:15  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: Irssi_ISO8601_Log_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Present: jaeunjemmaku Imelda jeanne Charles Josie Shawn Ryan
Regrets: Jan
Found Scribe: jeanne
Inferring ScribeNick: jeanne
Found ScribeNick: jeanne
Found Date: 28 Nov 2017
People with action items: 

WARNING: IRC log location not specified!  (You can ignore this 
warning if you do not want the generated minutes to contain 
a link to the original IRC log.)

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]