Silver Task Force Teleconference

01 Aug 2017

See also: IRC log


Jeanne, Shawn, Jennison, Sarah, JaEunJemmaKu
Shawn, Jeanne



<SarahHorton> Jeanne: Reviewed budget proposal

<SarahHorton> Jeanne: Are there other themes?

<SarahHorton> Jennison: Making it more usable and practical?

<SarahHorton> Jennison: Include reason why funding must come externally

<SarahHorton> Jennison: How about including request for translation?

<SarahHorton> Jeanne: W3C has always done translation with organizations that have volunteered

<SarahHorton> Jeanne: We could include it in this budget request

<SarahHorton> Shawn: Let's include it, we might get volunteers but it's worth including

<SarahHorton> Jeanne: What languages and what would it cost?

<SarahHorton> Jennison: For GAAD starting with official languages of the UN

<SarahHorton> Jennison: Could say, intent would be to have things translated based on the official languages of the UN

<SarahHorton> Jeanne: And the W3C hosts

<SarahHorton> Jennison: For the workshop, funding for the conference, including disability-related accommodations

<SarahHorton> Jeanne: Will reach out to Jennison for details about accommodations

<SarahHorton> Jennison: Expand on incentives with examples, e.g., gift cards for people to participate in diary study

<SarahHorton> Jeanne: Will have more to review on Friday

WCAG Usability Survey

<scribe> scribe: jeanne

Sarah: I have set up the survey in surveymonkey. It is close to done and ready for comments from Task Force.
... I added to the Intro what we discussed last week about accessibility meetups.
... Core questions and About You screen
... No questions are required
... Looking at the options in Survey Monkey, I set up the ability to add a comment as a separate question, otherwise, the comments are not textareas, and are too small for substantive comments.
... I will change the last button to Finish.

Jennison: I would recommend putting a reminder of the instructions for the comments

Sarah: The comments are more of a courtesy to the taker

Jennison: If we care enough to ask, but don't care enough to provide the detail of description, we won't get good data

[discussion of the format details]

Shawn: Putting the comments at the end is harder to remember what I cared about in the initial questions. Plenty of people who know WCAG very well, don't have the numbers and tags memorized.

Jennison: Did Survey Monkey ever fix the problem with focus indicator?

Sarah: It isn't great, but at least they don't block focus indication. The code is pretty accessible which is why we use it.

Research project sheet review

Shawn: Pete McNally reported over 100 responses as of last Friday

Jemma: Dr Watenabe research gave us a report on the student research a few weeks ago, but we have no new updates.

Open action items https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/task-forces/silver/track/actions/open review

<jemma> https://www.w3.org/community/about/agreements/cla/

<jemma> "The creator wants credit for the work. Make it clear who the original creator was and where the work came from."

Jemma: action-67 - I have talked with the Copyright LIbrarian and am waiting for a response. I don't know why we are not using the W3C copyight statement?

Shawn: I think this was a statement just for Zotaro and the literature to explain what people can and cannot share in Zotaro.

<jemma> https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/task-forces/silver/wiki/Literature_Review

Jemma: I think we could just link to W3C copyright and creative commons.

Jeanne: I think that would confuse the issue, as Shawn said, this is the policy for dealing with other people's work, not for dealing with W3C work.

Jemma: I'll talk with the Coptyright Librarian (at her university)

action-67 due 11 August

<trackbot> Set action-67 Enter the copyright policy at the top of the wiki page for the literature review. due date to 2017-08-11.

Future Regrets

Jennison will be gone week of 14 and 22

Shawn regrets for this Friday

Summary of Action Items

Summary of Resolutions

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.152 (CVS log)
$Date: 2017/08/01 14:36:26 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.152  of Date: 2017/02/06 11:04:15  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: Irssi_ISO8601_Log_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Present: Jeanne Shawn Jennison Sarah JaEunJemmaKu
Regrets: jan
Found Scribe: jeanne
Inferring ScribeNick: jeanne
Found Date: 01 Aug 2017
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2017/08/01-silver-minutes.html
People with action items: 

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]