Dataset Exchange Working Group Teleconference

10 July 2017

Meeting Minutes

<DaveB> Actually - It DaveBrowning.....

<DaveB> Let me try that again.....

<DaveB> exit

<DaveBrowning> No problem - my pc is misbehaving so it was worth re-connecting.....

<PWinstanley> +1 to antoine

antoine: remove webex password form minutes

Resolved: minutes approved, noting removal of password

<PWinstanley> Who is 'Call-in User_2' please?

roba: have made some edits to a meta-use case (UCI) around consistency of pattern in how extensions are handled.
… needs to be looked during F2F

kcoyle: F2F goal is FPWD
… plan to put in effort soon after f2f - Aug 9 deadline to submit docs to publish
… next deadline Nov 1
… please let us know when people can call in.

<kcoyle> rrsagent make logs public

<Makx> I thought they only appeared after the meeting is over?

<Makx> yes I can see them

<Makx> just reload page

<kcoyle> i lost my sound

<estephan> Apologies webex is not allowing me to joining via audio.

Jaroslav_Pullmann: based on DCAT acceptance to date, keep DCAT simple and push extensions to profiles

kcoyle: please develop a proposal

<Jaroslav_Pullmann> https://‌dvcs.w3.org/‌hg/‌gld/‌raw-file/‌default/‌dcat-ucr/‌index.html

Jaroslav_Pullmann: anyone aware of DERI work?

Makx: questions date - people have left DERI

<kcoyle> roba: schema.org may be adopting some of DCAT core

Makx: Dan Brickley has joined group - should follow up with him

<Makx> can we ask W3C to look at https://‌dvcs.w3.org/‌hg/‌gld/‌raw-file/‌default/‌dcat-ucr/‌index.html to see if it is maybe erroneously republished with a new date?

@AndreaPerego please type in ID#s

<kcoyle> ID20 now

<kcoyle> https://‌www.w3.org/‌2017/‌dxwg/‌wiki/‌Use_Case_Working_Space#ID20

<kcoyle> https://‌www.w3.org/‌2017/‌dxwg/‌wiki/‌Use_Case_Working_Space#ID8

AndreaPerego: discusses ids - and notion of dataset being quite broad

<Jaroslav_Pullmann> realted ID8, ID32

Jaroslav_Pullmann: sent round analysis of other standards use of term Dataset - all collections of data
… could be general registry

<kcoyle> roba: services may be = distributions

Makx: might not be able to limit - e.g. projects do use if for software products

<PWinstanley> +1 to Makx comment

annette_g: in BP datasets and service were able to be considered as the same thing
… need to be broad enough to include "data resource"

<Makx> +1 to annette_g

AndreaPerego: service not a dataset - but a distribution - but we do need to model catalogs (have i got this?)

<AndreaPerego> @roba, the point I was trying to make is that if we see the main notion of DCAT as the "catalogue

Jaroslav_Pullmann: solve via looking a proposal for structuring datasets - DCAT is used for finding/querying catalogues of data

<AndreaPerego> then we may be open to have records that are not just datasets

Jaroslav_Pullmann: identity and recognisability the key issues

<AndreaPerego> Thanks for correcting me, Makx

Makx: experience in Gov Linked Data WG - need to keep notional of Dataset broad

<estephan> +1 great point

<riccardoAlbertoni> +1 to AndreaPerego

AndreaPerego: what is missing is guidance for using specific vocabularies

+1 Andrea

<Jaroslav_Pullmann> +1 to Andrea on adding guidance

<Makx> Also see https://‌www.w3.org/‌2017/‌dxwg/‌wiki/‌Use_Case_Working_Space#Cross-vocabulary_relationships

<thomas> +1 to Andrea

<kcoyle> roba: this relates to meta use case on how to extend dcat

kcoyle: is there a single use case

Jaroslav_Pullmann: one use case at a meta level - with guidance
… e.g if its a datacube please use ...

<estephan> +1 Makx

<riccardoAlbertoni> +1 to Makx

<AndreaPerego> +1 to Makx

Makx: use cases provide valid scenarios - need to deduplicate the requirements.

<MJ_Han> +1 to Makx

<Makx> let's start looking at requirements

<estephan> +1 to exploring convergence of requirements on DCAT

<AndreaPerego> I can get in touch with Simon to see what he thinks.

<AndreaPerego> I mean, about the possible merging of ID8 and ID20.

roba: What is the update cycle for FPWD

<AndreaPerego> I wonder it may be worth considering the use of the "sprint" mechanism used for SDWBP.

kcoyle: a checkpoint - not set in stone, iterations but need to constrain as these define the scope

roba: need to focus on getting higher level Use Cases with requirements, otherwise hard to know if a case has been covered in the many overlapping scenarios

Jaroslav_Pullmann: move to UC being rationale for requirements

<riccardoAlbertoni> +1 to annette_g

<AndreaPerego> +1 to annette_g

annette_g: need to make sure we dont start with requirements - but derive these from UC

<MJ_Han> +1 to annette_g

annette_g: suggests editing of UC to this effect

kcoyle: how do we do this?

<antoine_> I suggest Annette or any other volunteer to flag where a use case is too requirement-orented, so that this can be discussed in the UC discussion at the F2F

annette_g: identify specific datasets in UC?

<estephan> +1 for actual datasets or examples that use cases can point to annette_g

<Makx> -1

<estephan> why -1

Those sound like "Use Case Scenarios" not Use Cases"

<Makx> -1 because I think most use cases are quite clear as they are

<estephan> thanks for the exploration, can these use cases point to examples makx?

Jaroslav_Pullmann: make sure we capture limitations of DCAT in problem statements, from stakeholder perspectives

<annette_g> I don't see "what does dataset mean" as a use case

<thomas> sorry; have to leave now - good discussion; maybe we should start with defining the final goal next week?

<Makx> +1

<AndreaPerego> +1

<Jaroslav_Pullmann> +1

<estephan> +1 sounds good

<antoine_> +1

<annette_g> +1

<DaveBrowning> quit

kcoyle: prioritise thise in F2F - everyone left agrees

<estephan> take care and safe travels everyone

<DaveBrowning> #

<Makx> looking forward to connecting next week for most of the two days

<riccardoAlbertoni> thanks all bye

<LarsG> thanks, bye

<Makx> bye

<Present_Ixchel> bye

<AndreaPerego> Thanks, and bye!

<AndreaPerego> s/#quit//

Summary of Resolutions

  1. minutes approved, noting removal of password