Silver Task Force Teleconference

11 Apr 2017

See also: IRC log


JaEunJemmaKu, Jeanne, sarahhorton, Jan, Jemma, Jennison, Sarah, Shawn, Sukil, sukilkim
Shawn, jeanne


Research project sheet review

Sarah: Stanley is under way with his project. He has 3 projects that he was interested in, and has narrowed it down to 1 project -- studying how physical accessibility of buildings moved from a regulation to a specification that became common knowledge, and what are the political factors that keep it relevant over time.
... as time and resources allow, he will pursue other aspects of the other two projects.
... I asked him to look at the community group and how to use that as a way to use it for communication.
... how to talk about and publish the results of the project. I said that I would bring it back to the group.
... how would the Silver task force support that work. Could they say that it was part of the Silver Task Force work?

Shawn: We need to write it down so it is clear. The research can say "this is how the research is supporting the work of the SIlver Task Force."

Sarah: I want to send an email out to the mailing list, or put a URL that we can refer to.
... it's on the Research page, but what is there isn't specific about what he can say.
... we need to get the word out about what we are doing to support the researcher effort.
... if there is a blurb they can put in their paper.

Shawn: I will add a bullet.

Sarah: suggest "if you are publishing a paper", "If you are doing a presentation"

<jemma> rrsagents, make minutes

Jeanne: There is a specific statement in the Community Group FAQ. It is very open. The only thing they can't do is claim that their research is endorsed by the W3C or is a standard endorsed by the W3C.

Shawn: We need to have an overall picture of where things are.

<jemma> make log public

Shawn: milestones would helpful to planning as we go.

Sarah: Pete will give us survey questions on the 13th and meet with us on the 18th.

<Lauriat> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Bsqv595CnSzmUa2Tv53duudNvn_ExTW6xGx-6_ECM7c/edit#gid=55201506

Jemma: Eleanor is waiting on the institutional board approval for her research.
... her own research interest is corporate hiring practices for people with neural disabilities

Sukil: It was approved for release last Friday.

<jemma> https://www.zotero.org/groups/w3c_silver/items/collectionKey/8P548W7C/itemKey/HM5XIQ5T

Sukil: it is loaded into the folder above

<jemma> login required to access above doc

Sukil: We have a standardization community, technical community and a policy committee. They have created the mobile device accessibility guidelines. We are thinking how we can categorize: platform, device, application, and content.
... we will continue this research and and will give us research results in September.

Jemma: is the supported by the government?

Sukil: this isn't in partnership with the government. We will propose the standards.

<jemma> it is rather the effort by a11y experts in Korea.

Sarah: I talked today with David Swallow. He is going to continue his PhD work on the usability of WCAG for developers. He is going to continue that work and share it with the Silver Task Force.

<jemma> +q

Sarah: in the past, he has been doing contextual inquiry, but that is time consuming. He is considering a self-journaling project. He has finalizing his plans and will share them with me on Friday.

Jemma: Is our goal to include mobile device as well as content?

Shawn: we want to have a broader scope, but it hasn't been decided yet. It will be decided by research.
... will it include the 4 categories as part of the standard discussion
... It is under consideration, but we will wait for the research. We want the scope to be supported by research instead of just our opinions.

Jan: No updates from Friday

Jemma: Watanabe and I have not connected yet because of time zone challenges.

Review Literature Review draft post https://www.w3.org/community/silver/2017/03/14/introduction-to-literature-review-project/

<Lauriat> https://www.w3.org/community/silver/2017/03/14/introduction-to-literature-review-project/

Jemma: I want to link it to Sarah's post.

Sarah: Once you publish it, I can link it.

Jeanne: It is clear and short, a very good summary of the work.

General agreement to publish Literature Post on the community group page.

Identify tasks for delegation to the community group

Shawn: Since research is the major task going on right now, are there tasks that the Community Group members can do to work with research partners?

Jennison: I can work with folks in the Bay Area through the meetup there. I can also work with people via LinkedIn.

Shawn: Our stakeholder list is heavily oriented toward people in the accessibility field. We could use more communication and outreach to people outside the accessibility field to study how useful WCAG is to developers, for example.

Jennison: That is a major interest of mine. Say the word and I will step in.

Shawn: What are tasks that people who are stakeholders and members of the community could do?

Jeanne: I would be very interested in what ideas that Jennison has for his network of contacts.

Sarah: We have the posts, and that could engage community members in the discussion
... from the projects I am involved in, I haven't seen an opportunity for someone to partner on a research project, but as the research projects get moving, I think it will become clearer.

Shawn: In the individual conversations with resesarchers, let them know that there accessibility professionals mostly focused on web who are in the community group who are willing to help.

Identify community group members to receive said delegation

Korean Mobile standards English translation

<jemma> https://files.zotero.net/3602622037/KS%20X%203253-2016%28en%29mobile%20accessibility%20guidelines%202.0.pdf

Sukil: It has guidance to current mobile accessibility guideline of W3C. It is the Korean standard, the public and private sector should conform to the standard. It is related to "W3C Note: How WCAG applies to Mobile"

Jemma: Some of it applies to WCAG.

Sukil: It is related to https://www.w3.org/TR/mobile-accessibility-mapping/

<jemma> http://w3c.github.io/Mobile-A11y-TF-Note/

Jeanne: This W3C mobile work has evolved. In 2013, W3C WAI work began to write the mobile issues. We published the document above - "How WCAG Applies to Mobile". Then we started working on what wasn't covered by WCAG, which resulted in the Mobile extension draft. Now that is all being combined into WCAG 2.1.

<jemma> this is great!

Summary of Action Items

Summary of Resolutions

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.152 (CVS log)
$Date: 2017/04/11 14:32:44 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.152  of Date: 2017/02/06 11:04:15  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: Irssi_ISO8601_Log_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/do/doc/
Succeeded: s/@@/application,/
Succeeded: s/is/isn't/
Present: JaEunJemmaKu Jeanne sarahhorton Jan Jemma Jennison Sarah Shawn Sukil sukilkim
Regrets: Dave
No ScribeNick specified.  Guessing ScribeNick: jeanne
Inferring Scribes: jeanne
Found Date: 11 Apr 2017
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2017/04/11-silver-minutes.html
People with action items: 

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]