Silver Task Force Teleconference

21 Feb 2017

See also: IRC log


MichaelC, Shawn, jeanne, Jan, Jemma
Sarah, Dave
Shawn, Jeanne


<scribe> scribenick: jeanne

Researcher introductions and next steps

Shawn: David has sent out the introductions and cc'd the Task Force partners
... now we need to take next steps
... we need to set up one of the spreadsheets, to track their individual projects within the larger Silver process
... individually we need to respond to the researchers, introduce ourselves and start asking them about their plans

Jemma: What is the nature of our relationship with them?

Shawn: Mostly guidance. Tt will vary by researcher. Some will want more guidance than others.
... As they talk about their plans, see if there are ways that we can give guidance or assistance.

Jan: How do we track this?

Shawn: Sarah may have a better idea about this. We should track the timelines in the project management, but other communications, we should talk to Sarah.
... As we answer the question of what each researcher is working on, we need to add that to the spreadsheet that Dave & Sarah are working on.

<Lauriat> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Bsqv595CnSzmUa2Tv53duudNvn_ExTW6xGx-6_ECM7c/edit#gid=0

Shawn: we need to whittle this down. We need to have a more concise sheet.

Jeanne: We need to be clear what sheet we are working on and retire the others. It is too confusing to have so many places to enter data.

Shawn: URL (above). Scribe was behind.
... we need to remove researchers from work they are NOT doing.
... we need to modify the sheet and pair the questions with the researchers. The questions are not connected with researchers.

<scribe> ACTION: Shawn to modify the researcher spreadsheet to organize it. [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2017/02/21-silver-minutes.html#action01]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-65 - Modify the researcher spreadsheet to organize it. [on Shawn Lauriat - due 2017-02-28].

Shawn: I don't think we want to use the research contact spreadsheet. this is the one we used to track outreach to researchers.

Jeanne: Unless Sarah or Dave object, I think we should retire that spreadsheet. We need to clean up that folder.

Shawn: I'll rename it, so it is clearer what it is for. I don't think we should retire it, because we may want to do outreach to more reserchers.

<Lauriat> Research Partners - Recruiting and contact tracking: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1f-7FUfhht8TpOdRKdYYpXOt2hxZ6p7oXDOyMWZMLQL0/edit#gid=0

Shawn: Links to URLs (above)

<Lauriat> Researchers and Research Activities - Project Tracker: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Bsqv595CnSzmUa2Tv53duudNvn_ExTW6xGx-6_ECM7c/edit#gid=0

Shawn: 2 URLS. The Recruiting spreadsheet is for Dave & Sarah for additional outreach. The second URL is the Project Tracking spreadhsset that the Task Force will use to entering information about the project.


Michael: Checking to see if the Task Force has input on the 2.1 FPWD
... we are saying that work is happening in Silver.

Jeanne: I think we should say that for any of the 2.1 Success criteria that do not meet the WCAG success criteria conditions (testability), Silver remains firmly committed to creating a structure that will be able to address those user needs.
... I don't think we should be the "kick the can down the road" escape that avoids dealing with difficult problems, but we do need to have a more flexible structure.

Shawn: I don't think we can say that we commit to taking in every success criteria that doens't make it into 2.1. They will have to relook at their proposed success criteria in the context of the new structure of 2.1. We can't be the cavalry that comes in and saves the day. That is setting us up for failure.

Zotero invites discussion

Shawn: Checking in the Jemma to see if the copyright issues have been resolved and if we can start sending invites to researchers to Zotaro?

Jemma: that's a good idea

<jemma> What we are trying to accomplish by inviting research partners to Zotero W3C silver group library are 1. Identify and add more literatures about WCAG silver work 2. Add annotation to Zotero if they have already read or familiar with the articles.

Jemma: What list should I send to the task force?

Jeanne: use the admin email list. public-silver-admin@w3.org

Jemma: what is the purpose of inviting researchers to Zotaro?

Jeanne: We want to answer the research questions posted on the list, and when the literature shows relevant information to the questions, we want to include that in the annotation.

<scribe> ACTION: jeanne to work with Jemma and Sarah to draft the details of what to communicate to the researchers about Zotaro participation. [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2017/02/21-silver-minutes.html#action02]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-66 - Work with jemma and sarah to draft the details of what to communicate to the researchers about zotaro participation. [on Jeanne F Spellman - due 2017-02-28].

Jemma: I made Sarah and Shawn administrators so they can send out invites to researchers. Jeanne needs to accept the Zotaro invite before she can be an administrator.

Jeanne: Are we good on copyright issues? Did Jemma talk with the copyright librarian?

Jemma: I think we are good. We are looking for Open Accessscripts to look for those who have publicly available articles so we can include the entire document. Otherwise we are not going to post copyrighted material.

<jemma> Open access (OA) refers to online research outputs that are free of all restrictions on access (e.g. access tolls) and free of many restrictions on use (e.g. certain copyright and license restrictions).[1] Open access can be applied to all forms of published research output, including peer-reviewed and non peer-reviewed academic journal articles, conference papers, theses,[2] book chapters,[1] and monographs.[3]

Jeanne: there is no automated way?

Jemma: Not that I know of. That is why we have to mention to the researchers when we email them, that they should not include copyrighted information in the Zotaro database.
... what is the timeframe for the communication letter?

Shawn: It should be this week. Next week will be difficult because of CSUN, and I would rather not wait until March.

Jeanne: What do we want for initial communication?

Shawn: I'm Shawn, this is my role in the task force, this is our overall plan for moving forward with the research. I would like to synchronize with you what your plans are so I can integrate it into the overall plan. Answer any questions I can.

Jeanne: We are using Zotaro tool for capturing and annotating the our literature review. We will be sending you an invite to be able to edit and contribute to that work, if you choose to do so.
... The Zotaro tool is publicly available, so please be careful as to the copyright status of whatever you contribute.

Finish CSUN presentation

Shawn: we can work offline, until we get to CSUN, then we can meet Wednesday morning and finish up anything that needs finalization.

Title: *What comes after WCAG 2.1? Date:*3/2/2017

*Time:*4:20:00 PM

*Location:*Mission Beach C

<Lauriat> http://www.csun.edu/cod/conference/2017/sessions/index.php/public/presentations/view/279

<Lauriat> Q&A: http://www.csun.edu/cod/conference/2017/sessions/index.php/public/presentations/view/596

Q&A: Accessibility Guidelines Next Generation

<Lauriat> Slides (work in progress, not done, yet) for the first presentation: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1YjaxD3qNAUV0dcx485AyEpq5RY_WpXgFk27TozDbPM8/edit#slide=id.p

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: jeanne to work with Jemma and Sarah to draft the details of what to communicate to the researchers about Zotaro participation. [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2017/02/21-silver-minutes.html#action02]
[NEW] ACTION: Shawn to modify the researcher spreadsheet to organize it. [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2017/02/21-silver-minutes.html#action01]

Summary of Resolutions

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.148 (CVS log)
$Date: 2017/02/21 15:32:45 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.148  of Date: 2016/10/11 12:55:14  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/ rrsagent, close item 1//
Succeeded: s/Open SSR /Open Access/
Succeeded: s/@@@email list@@@/public-silver-admin@w3.org/
Found ScribeNick: jeanne
Inferring Scribes: jeanne
Present: MichaelC Shawn jeanne Jan Jemma
Regrets: Sarah Dave
Found Date: 21 Feb 2017
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2017/02/21-silver-minutes.html
People with action items: jeanne shawn

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]