Silver Task Force Teleconference

17 Feb 2017

See also: IRC log


jeanne, Jemma, Shawn
Sarah, Dave


<scribe> scribe: jeanne

<Lauriat> https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/task-forces/silver/wiki/Research_Projects#Proposed_Research_Questions

Shawn: Dave had updates. I've entended the list of research questions to include the ones recieved from researchers

Jeanne: Do we want to accept every question from a researcher?

Shawn: Let's review wiki page history

<Lauriat> https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/task-forces/silver/wiki/index.php?title=Research_Projects&diff=172&oldid=139

<Lauriat> Question 1: "* How well do W3C Accessibility Guidelines communicate that accessibility supports business goals by expanding customer reach/growing revenue?"

Shawn: We discussed this last week and agreed that this was valuable research but not directly related to what we are trying to do for Silver.

<Lauriat> Added question #2: "What are the main reasons why accessibility is not seen as on the critical path for product success?"

Jeanne: Should we mark it or delete it?

<Lauriat> Added question #2: "What could W3C do to communicate the importance of accessibility to the business community?"

<Lauriat> Added question #3: "What could W3C do to communicate the importance of accessibility to the business community?"

Shawn: Let's create a separate section for research questions proposed but not directly related to the Silver project.
... the business reasoning fits into the effectiveness of the supporting materials.

<Lauriat> Added section: "Understanding the guideline development process"

Shawn: David added a new section of questions: "Understanding the guideline development process"

<Lauriat> Category under that: "When organizations choose to produce adaptations of WCAG:"

<Lauriat> Added question: "What aspects of WCAG do people drop?"

Jeanne: These questions look really good.

<Lauriat> Added question: "What aspects of WCAG are most important and why?"

<Lauriat> Added question: "What aspects of WCAG do people think are missing?"

Shawn: I have seen adaptations drop the line length requirements

<Lauriat> Added question: "What do people change about WCAG?"

<Lauriat> Added question: "What things are reworded for clarity?"

Jeanne: I have seen adaptations that drop the live captioning and audio description requirements

Jemma: These are more around WCAG itself.

Jeanne: I think these are some really good questions for the interviews.

<Lauriat> Added question: "How have guideline development initiatives outside the field of accessibility engaged and solicited feedback from all relevant stakeholders? What methods have been particularly effective or ineffective?"

Shawn: Let's make a new section for WCAG adaptations.

<Lauriat> Added question: "For guideline development initiatives, what have been the key drivers of the timeline (whether lag or potential speed efficiencies)?"

Jemma: I have different categories for the literature review

<Lauriat> Added question: "What are the factors that determine effective (i.e. widespread) adoption of and compliance with a new set of guidelines?"

Jeanne: Important question

Shawn: That seems like a category of questions

Researcher outreach update

[scribe notes that all the prior discussion belongs in this topic]

Shawn: We still have to work out how to talk with people who are under Non Disclosure.

Literature review update

Jemma: I have talked with Sarah about what I can share in the Zotaro library.

Shawn: I haven't had a chance to work on my contribution to the progress.

Jemma: I talked with the librarian at my University on "fair use" information
... she thought that we could share more information that Jeanne thought

Jeanne: I am confident that we can quote relevant results of the research (properly cited) in Zotaro as fair use

<jemma> http://guides.library.illinois.edu/coursematerialsandcopyrightforprofessors/fairuse

Jemma: We have a librarian who specializes in fair use.
... this link is what she shared with me.

Here's what the WAI-AGE literature review published in 2008


Jemma: This is a interesting idea for a template

Jeanne: We could consider publishing the literature review in W3C. But not in two months.
... the resources referenced in the literature review seem to mostly be publicly available, so these will be useful for Shawn's project.

Research project management

Shawn: I will make a new sheet that is more project management oriented. So as the projects solidify, we will have a place to keep more management issues.

Jemma: Can you contact Andrew Arch and introduce me about literature review?

<scribe> ACTION: Jeanne to introduce Jemma and Andrew Arch about literature reviews at W3C. [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2017/02/17-silver-minutes.html#action01]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-64 - Introduce jemma and andrew arch about literature reviews at w3c. [on Jeanne F Spellman - due 2017-02-24].

rrsagent: Make minutes

Jemma: Can we review the milestone for the Literature Review? We cannot finish in two months.

Shawn: Yes.

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: Jeanne to introduce Jemma and Andrew Arch about literature reviews at W3C. [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2017/02/17-silver-minutes.html#action01]

Summary of Resolutions

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.148 (CVS log)
$Date: 2017/02/17 15:43:35 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.148  of Date: 2016/10/11 12:55:14  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/IMportant question/Important question/
Found Scribe: jeanne
Inferring ScribeNick: jeanne
Present: jeanne Jemma Shawn
Regrets: Sarah Dave
Found Date: 17 Feb 2017
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2017/02/17-silver-minutes.html
People with action items: jeanne

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]