Silver Task Force Teleconference

03 Feb 2017

See also: IRC log


SarahHorton, jeanne, Shawn, Michael, jaeunjemmaku, jan
Shawn, jeanne


Stakeholder email follow-up

Sarah: I have been getting responses. Should I be archiving them outside of my inbox?

Shawn: I don't think so, unless they are responding with certain ideas
... let's set up a folder that we can save them on.

<scribe> ACTION: Sarah to set up a folder to archive any of the emails that have substantive response [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2017/02/03-silver-minutes.html#action01]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-60 - Set up a folder to archive any of the emails that have substantive response [on Sarah Horton - due 2017-02-10].

UNKNOWN_SPEAKER: for example, Andrew Arch wants to meet at CSUN and go over all organizations in Australia that want to participate.
... maybe we should email the stakeholders to say that we are having presentations at CSUN

Jan: the EOWG is meeting at CSUN, I could ask one of the co-chairs of EOWG to follow up with Andrew.

Jeanne: I like the idea of sending a note to the list about the meetings at CSUN

Shawn: I think we need to make it clear that it is optional and that we will be sending people information if they can't attend

Sarah: What do people think about being on the EOWG agenda?

Jeanne: Brilliant. What do we want to ask them for?

Shawn: I think we should go to them without an ask, and have them tell us what is confusing and how to present it to the outside world.

<scribe> ACTION: Jan to talk with Brent and Sharron about being on the agenda [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2017/02/03-silver-minutes.html#action02]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-61 - Talk with brent and sharron about being on the agenda [on Jan McSorley - due 2017-02-10].

Sarah: Which would be a good one to invite the stakeholders to?

Shawn: All of the above: It would be helpful to let them know all 3 presentations so they can choose what fits in their schedule. It would be helpful to list the 2.1 session, because a lot of people don't know about it.

Sarah: Mark ?? of a non-profit advocacy group, Web Professionals. They have a newsletter going out in the middle of the month, and even can have a photo if we want.
... it's a good idea to get information and awareness out about Silver.
... we need to have an official spokesperson for the group, like Michael?

Michael: I recommend Jeanne and Shawn being the front face, since Andrew and I work more in the background.

Jeanne: When we meet on Monday, let's schedule a time to work on Silver outreach, Mark's article and CSUN presentations.

Sarah: Start tweeting and include Stakeholders in the tweet.

Jeanne: SilverStakeholders is a open hashtag in twitter.

Sarah: It's too long

Researcher communications status and follow-up

Shawn: David got the action, but not the meeting minutes

<SarahHorton> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BYBo7DN7ktpluQYmAsbD2PjB4fbGBwmmNhL6W6qBaiE/edit

Sarah: We will take the followup email in the Researcher Followup folder (internal link for privacy reasons)
... change the sentence "I will be your point of contact" to "we will assign a regular point of contact"
... Dave will continue to be the point person until he gets more details
... then we can assign the person who will be the task force partner.

<Lauriat> Link to the current questions: https://docs.google.com/document/d/132b4XZFOTQikKAmsRuc4Q_NvuhUqsRzX5JZ3iynKzxg/edit#heading=h.qe3if2dcb1kg

Shawn: The next step is to see what they (or their students) to answer and what methods they want to use, then we can assign a partner.

Review open action items


<Lauriat> https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/task-forces/silver/track/actions/11

action-11 followup with AWK on outreach to alistapart

scribe: Michael will followup

actions for jeanne for networking - will do this weekend.

action-33: close - Jan has detailed followup and is moving to the next level

<trackbot> Sorry, but I think you meant to close action-33.

close action-33

<trackbot> Closed action-33.

close action-34

<trackbot> Closed action-34.

action-40 - Shawn added names for people with Chrome accessibility and testing tools.

scribe: and a developer advocate who has been doing a lot of work for accessibility
... and will do more for switch and hardware specialists

close action-52 - Shawn got articles on setting up the machine learning to help us discover more literature

Shawn: I talked iwth my colleague about gettting more articles and literature references beyond the literature references you know.

Jemma: Let me know what I can do to help. I'm working at the library.

assign action-55 to Sarah

close action-55

<trackbot> Closed action-55.

Sarah: I set up a draft for communications panel and set up a folder on Drive.

close action-57

<trackbot> Closed action-57.

Jemma: I did outreach to faculty members in Korea last night. Can they still fill out the research form? I really want Korea to be active in the creation, not just the translation.

Jeanne: the survey is open to 28 February

<Lauriat> Link to the current questions: https://docs.google.com/document/d/132b4XZFOTQikKAmsRuc4Q_NvuhUqsRzX5JZ3iynKzxg/edit#heading=h.qe3if2dcb1kg

return to the research questions for additional input

Sarah: How do we manage the change that needs to happen in society?

Shawn: How do we manage the updates to Silver in response to changing technology

Sarah: Make adoption of accessibility guidelines straightforward (minimize disruption to process and practice and culture)

Jeanne: Make accessibility guidelines that facilitate a real change in how society manages digital access for people with disabilities?

Jan: The biggest challenge I have is that people perceive it as a conformance issue and don't see the valid add of doing it

Shawn: I got involved in doing that. There are a lot of organizations that have their own reason for setting up their own guidelines.

Sarah: I think that is a success metric for Silver: That there will be a demonsterable decrease in adaptations of Silver.
... focusing on accessibility as a quality metric instead of a conformance metric.

Jan: It would be a interesting supplemental research product and work with EO to develop

Shawn: It would be very good for a landing page.
... specifically, it doesn't belong in the guidelines, but it is great for the supplementary materials.

Jeanne: EOWG has it, but it is dated, more in the 2010 timeframe than 2016.

Jan: It is one of the biggest barriers -- people don't know how it can benefit the companies bottom line.

https://www.w3.org/WAI/bcase/Overview <- Designing a Web Accessibility Business Case for Your Organziation

Jeanne: I was wrong, it has been updated

Jan: We should be thinking about it now, because if we build that into Silver, the business case and the research will help us.
... we have to find companies that are doing this well.

Shawn: I know a researcher who is working in this space and is doing research in this topic.

Jan: I know someone woking on her PhD on this topic. I will reach out to her.

Sarah: I'll move the research questions onto the wiki page.

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: Jan to talk with Brent and Sharron about being on the agenda [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2017/02/03-silver-minutes.html#action02]
[NEW] ACTION: Sarah to set up a folder to archive any of the emails that have substantive response [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2017/02/03-silver-minutes.html#action01]

Summary of Resolutions

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.148 (CVS log)
$Date: 2017/02/03 16:43:03 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.148  of Date: 2016/10/11 12:55:14  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

No ScribeNick specified.  Guessing ScribeNick: jeanne
Inferring Scribes: jeanne
Present: SarahHorton jeanne Shawn Michael jaeunjemmaku jan
Regrets: Dave
Found Date: 03 Feb 2017
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2017/02/03-silver-minutes.html
People with action items: jan sarah

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]