Silver Task Force Teleconference

13 Dec 2016

See also: IRC log


Andrew, Jeanne, Michael, Sarah, Shawn, jemmaJaeunku, David_Sloan


Next steps for the Discovery phase

<jeanne> MC: we should have an open ended request for comments and ideas for the research that is sent publicly.

<sloandr> hi, can someone remind me of the webex password, please?

<sloandr> thanks!

<jeanne> JS: we need to do that soon, so it can help guide some of the research surveys

<jeanne> https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/task-forces/silver/wiki/Research_Projects

<sloandr> MichaelC, I'm sloandr on IRC

<sloandr> not David_Sloan :)

Jeanne: Update on research partners outreach

David: Has reached out to individuals and has heard back from several, have good response so far


David: positive response about the process of using research to guide Silver decision making

Jemma: Has reached out, would like to know next step

Sarah: Also has reached out, gotten responses

Jeanne: Not sharing list of names for privacy reasons, will make public page once we get started

<jeanne> https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/task-forces/silver/wiki/Research_Projects

Jeanne: We need help doing research we need answers to in order to make decisions about Silver requirements
... We need to think about research questions for the surveys
... We need a new conformance model for Silver, how can we balance need for specific testing and flexibility to adapt to new technologies
... What accessibility issues aren't covered by WCAG 2

Michael: Conforming means different things in different places
... How are you having trouble implementing WCAG in practice

Jeanne: How much could be moved to user agents

<jemma> +1 for michale's suggested research question

Michael: How can we create guidelines that are universally usable

<jemma> it could also be part of "gap analysis"

Andrew: When people are using sites that conform, what are the gaps in their experiences

Michael: Better concept of differentiation between normative and best practices
... Would like Silver to have both, have good way of differentiating

Jeanne: Better way to solve conflicts between what people need

Andrew: Concept that WCAG will result in 100% accessible site but that isn't the case
... Standard cannot be the be-all end-all that meets needs for every user, what do people do in the gaps?
... Silver should be normative guidelines

Shawn: Reality is that Silver will become guidelines that people point to to make things accessible

Michael: Always use words WCAG conformant rather than "accessible"

David: Based on people who have responsed, lots of research happening outside of W3C, need to learn about those research questions and answers
... Literature review, there will be literature that has explored WCAG that we can look at
... There are different ways to get the partners involved, need to bear that in mind in how we define questions

Shawn: Should prioritize literacture, article review, WCAG adaptations with partners

David: Ready to help
... Look at PhD theses, could save legwork

Jeanne: Could we get this rolling over the holidays?
... Literature review on Friday

<Lauriat> Phase 2 agenda scratch doc: https://docs.google.com/document/d/132b4XZFOTQikKAmsRuc4Q_NvuhUqsRzX5JZ3iynKzxg/edit?usp=sharing

Andrew: Implementing WCAG in practice, can we scope out how to provide success criteria
... The scope of the SCs are different
... E.g., page title and providing audio description
... Some way to balance effort and impact

Sarah: What can we report back to people who have agreed to partner

Shawn: List of topics, as starting point
... Partnering one of taskforce with partner

Sarah: User research should yield research questions/needs

Finish work on research preparations for January

Michael: Operating on behalf of WCAG WG, timeline/project plan, articulate those expectations
... All work is done under W3C process, will be under W3C copyright

Jeanne: Researchers can publish own research

<jemma> +q

<jemma> can we have those in writing?

Michael: Anything they submit cannot be proscribed from W3C publication

Jemme: Explaining the expectations, share in writing to share with researchers

<jeanne> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yqbKKSDAsQ9KkuXhxa5di30CmZHpj4npZMoUDKRhSNU/edit#gid=0

<scribe> ACTION: Jeanne to update research page to add timeline and IP [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2016/12/13-silver-minutes.html#action01]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-14 - Update research page to add timeline and ip [on Jeanne F Spellman - due 2016-12-20].

Jemma: Also add what we are trying to get from research
... Goal we are trying to achieve together with researchers — expectations

Jeanne: We want them to share data with us, still researcher's data for them to use

<scribe> ACTION: Jeanne to add expectations to research page [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2016/12/13-silver-minutes.html#action02]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-15 - Add expectations to research page [on Jeanne F Spellman - due 2016-12-20].

This is request for research partners: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1qigkeRt2jXkhyUPxLVzFkhTevPngs4r0X3vBfcHhlI8/edit?usp=sharing

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: Jeanne to add expectations to research page [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2016/12/13-silver-minutes.html#action02]
[NEW] ACTION: Jeanne to update research page to add timeline and IP [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2016/12/13-silver-minutes.html#action01]

Summary of Resolutions

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.148 (CVS log)
$Date: 2016/12/13 15:31:58 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.148  of Date: 2016/10/11 12:55:14  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/outreac/outreach/
Succeeded: s/task for/taskforce/
Succeeded: s/expecations/expectations/
Succeeded: s/researchers/researcher's/
No ScribeNick specified.  Guessing ScribeNick: SarahHorton
Inferring Scribes: SarahHorton
Present: Andrew Jeanne Michael Sarah Shawn jemmaJaeunku David_Sloan

WARNING: No meeting chair found!
You should specify the meeting chair like this:
<dbooth> Chair: dbooth

Found Date: 13 Dec 2016
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2016/12/13-silver-minutes.html
People with action items: jeanne

WARNING: Input appears to use implicit continuation lines.
You may need the "-implicitContinuations" option.

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]