SDW SSN Sub Group

08 Mar 2016

See also: IRC log


Kerry, RaulGarciaCastro, DanhLePhuoc, ahaller2
Oscar, Scott, Simon
DanhLePhuoc, RaulGarciaCastro


<kerry> trackbot, start meeting

<trackbot> Sorry, but no Tracker is associated with this channel.

<kerry> trackbot, this will be sdw

<trackbot> Sorry, kerry, I don't understand 'trackbot, this will be sdw'. Please refer to <http://www.w3.org/2005/06/tracker/irc> for help.

<kerry> scribe: DanhLePhuoc

<kerry> scribeNick: RaulGarciaCastro

<kerry> scribe: RaulGarciaCastro

Patent call

<kerry> https://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/wiki/Patent_Call

Welcome to SSN-subgroup meetings

kerry: Not many people around


kerry: We need to publish the FPWD soon
... … end of March, 1st week April
... … that is our first big goal
... … we could publish SSN as it is now
... … being ambitious, also modularization would be good
... … it is important that the W3C staff sees some progress

RaulGarciaCastro: It would be nice to also include in the FPWD what we plan to deliver by the end of our work

<kerry> +1

<DanhLePhuoc> +1


kerry: We can talk about this next meeting (with more people)
... … with the other editors



kerry: People should have rights to edit the ontology

DanhLePhuoc: Not everyone needs to have editing permissions to comment

RaulGarciaCastro: If we modularise the ontology at the end we will have different projects

kerry: Yes, I think it was that way

DanhLePhuoc: Right now there are two projects, not sure how to link them

kerry: Where are the axioms in Webprotege?

<DanhLePhuoc> http://protegewiki.stanford.edu/wiki/WebProtegeUsersGuide

DanhLePhuoc: In the OWLEntityDescriptionBrowser tab

<DanhLePhuoc> http://protegewiki.stanford.edu/wiki/WebProtegeUsersGuide#The_OWL_Entity_Description_Editor

DanhLePhuoc: … and Editor

<kerry> please look at user guid and have a go

<ahaller2> apologies for being late, what is the webex link?

<kerry> Armin, can pls give raul permission to edit on webprotege!

<kerry> https://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/wiki/Meetings:SSN-Telecon20160308


<ahaller2> yes, what is his username?

<kerry> armin, the webex link on that page works



that’s my user name in Webprotege

Editor’s draft

<kerry> http://w3c.github.io/sdw/ssn/

kerry: ahaller2 already has editing permissions in github


ahaller2: We have agreed to remove dolce
... … do we need further modules?

<kerry> agree -- no precedent for this

ahaller2: … will splitting the ontology make it more usable?

<kerry> also agree -- it is no that much

kerry: multiple namespaces is annoying and you have to constantly look for things you need in other places

RaulGarciaCastro: we could analyse the use cases and see what extent of the ontology is expected to be used

ahaller2: All modules, even if they have different namespaces, could be in the same file

DanhLePhuoc: it’s not necessary to split everything but we can have different profiles

kerry: some use cases deal with observations, others with platforms…
... … we could do some profiling
... … we can put the current modules in the W3C namespace

RaulGarciaCastro: Once we define some URIs, people will start using them

ahaller2: I’m concerned of publishing something not finished


<DanhLePhuoc> +1

RaulGarciaCastro: Putting the modules proposal in the FPWD would make no harm
... … and if everyone agrees we publish it
... … and if there are concerns we wait

kerry: not just the modules, the complete modules
... the ontologies themselves

DanhLePhuoc: Like in software, people could use profiles and look for the origin of the different ontology components

I’m not sure I got well this last part

kerry: People could simply use the vocabulary terms of the ontology, but it would be nice if reasoning can also be used
... dereferencing the ontology terms should lead to the ontology
... … we can test this with the current splitted version of the ontology
... … and implementing content negotiation

ahaller2: It would be nice to have it to play
... … multiple modules will also lead people to use incorrect namespaces

kerry: We can do that and then discuss up to what extent modularize

<kerry> ACTION: ahaller2 to get the 2 ontology modules on w3c namespace with phila, to experimentation [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2016/03/08-sdwssn-minutes.html#action01]

<trackbot> Sorry, but no Tracker is associated with this channel.

kerry: if anyone wants to chair these meetings, just tell
... … will be happy if people gives suggestions on topics for the meeting


<kerry> rrsagent. draft minutes

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: ahaller2 to get the 2 ontology modules on w3c namespace with phila, to experimentation [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2016/03/08-sdwssn-minutes.html#action01]

Summary of Resolutions

[End of minutes]