SDW Workshop @ INSPIRE 2016
Background & purpose of workshop
The SDW WG aims at bridging the geospatial and Web platforms, thus facilitating the publication and use of spatial data across these communities. In order to achieve this, the SDW WG is working on a set of deliverables, described in the WG Charter, covering Best Practices for the publication of spatial data on the Web, based on identified use cases and requirements, plus the standardisation of a set of ontologies (Time Ontology, Semantic Sensor Network Ontology, Coverages in Linked Data).
The objective of the workshop is to illustrate current results of the work carried out by the SDW WG, with a particular focus on the SDW Best Practices, and to collect feedback from workshop participants.
Where and when
Palau de Congressos de Catalunya, Room H2.
For more details, see the INSPIRE 2016 workshops programme.
We recommend participants review the Best Practices (BP) document to identify issues of interests to be discussed during the workshop.
In particular, we suggest focussing on the following parts of the BP document, and related questions:
- Do these sections provide overall a useful grounding for the spatial issues?
- Regarding Section 4 (Spatial Things, Features and Geometry), does it effectively describe the notions of spatial thing, feature, (INSPIRE) spatial object, geometry, and their use?
- Regarding Section 9 (How to Use these Best Practices), the publishing spatial data pathway described there is still incomplete. So, the question is: which are the questions you would ask yourselves when choosing how to publish your spatial data - particularly for the steps that remain undocumented?
- At a first look, do you think any BP is missing that is specific to publishing and consuming spatial data on the Web?
NB: SDW BPs are specifically focussed on spatial data, and as such they complement and specialise the BPs of the W3C Data on the Web WG, which apply to any kind of data on the Web.
Due to time constraints, it will not be possible during the workshop to review all the BPs. As a consequence, the discussion will focus on the following BPs:
- BP7: Use globally unique HTTP identifiers for spatial things
- BP4: Make your data indexable by search engines
- BP8: Provide geometries on the Web in a usable way
- BP10: Use spatial semantics for Spatial Things
The general questions are:
- Do you think these BPs effectively address related issues & solutions?
- Do they provide a clear guidance?
- Is anything missing?
- Introduction & purpose of the workshop
- Overview of SDW WG deliverables (see WG charter), with a specific focus on SDW Best Practices
- Discussion on selected Best Practices
- Summary of discussion on selected Best Practices
Presentation & minutes
- Video recording
- Presentation [ PDF ] (Ed)
- Minutes (Clemens)
- Additional notes (Clemens)
- Report on the workshop (Ed)
You can contact the SDW WG via the public mailing list: