Tracking Protection Working Group Teleconference

19 Nov 2014

See also: IRC log


Fielding, moneill2, +1.646.654.aaaa, +31.65.275.aabb, hefferjr, Wendy, npdoty, eberkower, Bethany_Nielsen, kulick, WileyS, +1.917.934.aacc, vinay, Justin, +31.65.275.aadd, [FTC], walter, Chris_Pedigo, MECallahan
vincent, cargill


<trackbot> Date: 19 November 2014

short call... i'll do it

<npdoty> scribenick: kulick

justin: skip david's 2 issues till the end of the call

<justin> issue-262?

<trackbot> issue-262 -- guidance regarding server responses and timing -- pending review

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2011/tracking-protection/track/issues/262

justin: status check on issue 262
... Roy was going to type up proposal 2 weeks ago... were you able to?

Roy: I wrote most of it, but didnt commit it
... almost done. should be able to post to mailing list tronight

justin: Rob, you and vincent were consiuderiung counter proposal... timing?

<npdoty> moneill2 also has an email on the topic

Rob: we will post something Monday or tuesday next week if necessary

justin: great

<justin> issue-235?

<trackbot> issue-235 -- Auditability requirement in Reasonable Security section -- raised

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2011/tracking-protection/track/issues/235

<WileyS> Note for minutes: 10 participants on today's call excluding staff and co-chair.

justin: Roy, you were going to propose response to SHane's about who is setting the DNT signal... can you do in next week or so

<WileyS> Per Nick's note my statement is more for the TCS, not the TPE

Roy: sure, assuming i dont forget.

justin: issue 235... auditability going to CfO
... nick please create CfO action

npdoty: sure

<npdoty> walter, okay with my friendly amendment?

justin: 2 more issues....

<npdoty> ah, yes, I see your email, walter

<walter> npdoty: yes, I've expressed as much by mail

justin: issue 24 and issue 148....
... sec reqs and what DNT means in diff contexts
... check if you have any objs
... issue 203

<justin> issue-203?

<trackbot> issue-203 -- Use of "tracking" in third-party compliance -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2011/tracking-protection/track/issues/203

<npdoty> issue-148 had actually been in the draft for a while, I was just confirming that we had the text we talked about earlier

justin: npdoty commited a new version last night merging the lang... can you please describe

npdoty: 2 proposals on 203... key diff was concept that server doesnt know inherently that if itas a first party... took from Roy's about discerning party status... added that text to 1st party compliance

<fielding> action fielding to respond to issue-260 regarding validating DNT signal

<trackbot> Created ACTION-465 - Respond to issue-260 regarding validating dnt signal [on Roy Fielding - due 2014-11-26].

npdoty: when knowing... we all already agreed upon when unknown
... 2nd part of change to implement dsinger's proposal to use tracking data to say no just any piece of info but used for tracking.

<fielding> not yet

justin: any questions or had a chance to look yet

<npdoty> sorry that that went out late last night

<walter> this seems a bit of an edge case to me

justin: roy hasnt seen...
... yet.
... signifacnat change but dont seem far apart, in theory
... please check it out
... to reach resolution in next couple weeks
... two other issues, david's issues
... Mike and API issue.... do you have proposal on how to resoluve exp parameter

moneill2: domain using sub domain and combining with issue 262 to build in clarity for ad exchanges to give consent for bidders
... prob with using cookies and a page and using sub domains is limiting...

moneill2 is hard to scribe ;)

<WileyS> How does the domain list approach not solve the same issue?

<fielding> Mike is talking about http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-tracking/2014Nov/0037.html

scribe: if becomes prob about domain attribute... we can leave it to the user
... could be handled by web app sec WG

justin: do we have prop to temp approve in our doc?

moneill2: we have a placeholder... and I will add something over the weekend about independent use that needs to be addressed
... currently we have a placeholder to address it

npdoty: exp paramater discussion... current status is to just integrate it... i have concerns about potential scope of the change...
... we consider in the group trying to related domains within a company... but I domnt think we are there yet. I dont think checking domains now is a good outcome.

<WileyS> This approach feels more expensive than the list approach and that was already going to be difficult to manage.

justin: okay, let's push these back to resolve later

<justin> Right, the expiry parameter is just waiting for dsinger to integrate.

<npdoty> WileyS, I think that was our sense from the last discussion of this general area, yes.

justin: other outstanding issues?

<npdoty> still has to work through more editorial suggestions, but will get to that during our off week

justin: wont have a call next week... let's all look at issues over email and make progress...
... npdoty has editorial work to do

npdoty: we have a req to pub snapsho working draft every couple months
... goal to pub next tuesday

justin: sent to email if you have feedback
... anyone... anyone... bueller?

<npdoty> I'll follow up on the mailing list to make sure people are comfortable with publishing a new Working Draft snapshot

justin: prob a couple more CfOs going forward, but almost done. bye

<npdoty> trackbot, end meeting

Summary of Action Items

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.140 (CVS log)
$Date: 2014-11-19 17:24:55 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.140  of Date: 2014-11-06 18:16:30  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/128/148/
Succeeded: s/top/to/
Found ScribeNick: kulick
Inferring Scribes: kulick

WARNING: No "Topic:" lines found.

Default Present: Fielding, moneill2, +1.646.654.aaaa, +31.65.275.aabb, hefferjr, Wendy, npdoty, eberkower, Bethany_Nielsen, kulick, WileyS, +1.917.934.aacc, vinay, Justin, +31.65.275.aadd, [FTC], walter, Chris_Pedigo, MECallahan
Present: Fielding moneill2 +1.646.654.aaaa +31.65.275.aabb hefferjr Wendy npdoty eberkower Bethany_Nielsen kulick WileyS +1.917.934.aacc vinay Justin +31.65.275.aadd [FTC] walter Chris_Pedigo MECallahan
Regrets: vincent cargill

WARNING: No meeting chair found!
You should specify the meeting chair like this:
<dbooth> Chair: dbooth

Found Date: 19 Nov 2014
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2014/11/19-dnt-minutes.html
People with action items: 

WARNING: No "Topic: ..." lines found!  
Resulting HTML may have an empty (invalid) <ol>...</ol>.

Explanation: "Topic: ..." lines are used to indicate the start of 
new discussion topics or agenda items, such as:
<dbooth> Topic: Review of Amy's report

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]