W3C

Webizen Task Force teleconference

03 Oct 2014

Agenda

See also: IRC log

Attendees

Present
Coralie Mercier, Veronica Thom, Jeff Jaffe, Léonie Watson, Julian Harriott, Ann Bassetti
Regrets
Chair
Jeff Jaffe
Scribe
Coralie Mercier

Contents


<koaliie> Previous (2014-09-05)

<scribe> scribenick: koalie

[Jeff starts]

Interpretation of the survey results

Jeff: the purpose of this call is for the Webizen TF to use the results of the survey to create a proposal for a Webizen Program
... that we'd take to W3C management to seek support, next week or the following week
... and take it to the W3C Advisory Committee at the end of the month

[Ann joins]

<koaliie> Consolidated results of the public Webizen survey

<koaliie> Quick overview of public survey we ran between September 10-30

Jeff: I read the survey results and to me the results flow out of the survey
... I'll read what I think is obvious from the survey results
... Q1: "Should W3C reach out to the broader Web community to create such a program for increased affiliation?"

Jeff: 195 people said yes (out of 205)
... Q2: "Would you be interested in joining this program?"
... most of the people chose "show me where to sign up" (87)
... If all sign up I'm confident that we'd not lose money if we started a program
... Q3: "Should the program be designed as a minimalist program (point A)?"
... a decent majority said so
... my conclusion is that it should start minimalist
... now, some people said that it should not
... a few benefits from those listed subsequently, but not too much, should be appropriate

<veronica> yes

Jeff: with the promise of more benefits later
... Q4: "Should there be benefits that increase W3C posture as a community?"
... 133 said yes, 7 said no, 65 said "not important"

<AnnBassetti> yup

Jeff: [goes over a few in the list of ranked popular benefits in response to Q5]

<Julian_> yes

Jeff: Q6: "Should there be tangible benefits to this program (point C)?"
... Here, my sense is that it's pretty split
... one quarter said yes, one quarter said no and a majority said "not important to me".
... we could skip this altogether
... but in Q7, 90 people said "Discounts of W3C services" would be a nice tangible benefit.

<veronica> +1 to Training discounts

Jeff: Is that a reasonable interpretation of the survey?

<Julian_> +1

<antoniofullone> +1

<LJWatson> +1

Jeff: Q8: "Should there be a mechanism where Webizens are represented at the decision making of W3C (point D)?"
... I think we should do that, per results
... Q9 shows the survey speaks
... Program could look like: supporters page and CEO call, + one tangible benefit (discount)
... we'd need to define representation groups.

Naming of the program

Jeff: Q10 "Should we name this program the Webizen program?"
... That got sufficient opposition to warrant to go through the available choices
... or make another survey, and come up with a few other choices
... not necessarily before TPAC

<AnnBassetti> ~5 choices

<Zakim> koalie, you wanted to offer a nth suggestion

Coralie: Web Society? I checked, it's not in use, and it's exactly what the program inspires me.

Jeff: I like it, it would be a valid thing to put in the survey

<antoniofullone> my 2 cents: I like Open web supporter, even if I think this name is pretty ok, at least it make sense

Jeff: I wouldn't want to choose it without putting it to scrutiny
... It sounds like it's competing with Internet Society

[Coralie: +1 I thought that too re: compete with ISOC]

<AnnBassetti> from the list, I like "W3C Individual Participant" -- because it seems parallel to our other categories

Léonie: looking at the list we got
... some described the program, some the participants of the program
... should we look at this?
... Web society, for example, doesn't look at participant

Jeff: Good point; if the name describes the people, it's easy to reuse as program name

Julian: do we know the geographic location of the people who took the survey?

Coralie: Nope, we didn't ask the question and our system didn't have any way to find out

Jeff: We debated that and chose not to include the question, to not make the survey too long and drive people away

Free flow comments from the survey

Jeff: Then we got free flow comments
... nothing jumped at me as a reason to rethink the whole thing

[Coralie: same]

Jeff: If we have a consensus, I'll write this up in some formal proposal
... and present it to W3M which meets on Wednesdays
... the AC proposal will be on 27-Oct during TPAC
... a proposal which addresses the strong sense from the community that this should allow more engagement in W3C
... and addresses the concern the AC expressed in June that we do not offer in this program benefits that are reserved to the AC
... I think we're in better shape and I hope we are.

Ann: I thought it was a cool survey
... interested in geographic source of the respondents

[Coralie too!]

Ann: About the language we use to describe; one commenter said "you refer to Web Developers, what about the rest of us?"
... I relate to that and wanted to emphasise this

Jeff: Great point.
... there was text in question 9 (Webizens to band together to form "Developer Groups"), and in the preamble (larger Web community)
... You're right, we should not restrict; we think of people by interest, by regions, etc.

Ann: Somebody else spoke to the point of not only wanting to review charters
... [Ann reads]
... the point means more than charter review
... I'm sure we'll have a bunch of iterations
... that comment was useful

Jeff: Yes definitely
... that comment also speaks to how we create the representation groups (cf. Q9)

<Julian_> +1 to Ann's comments

Wrap-up, next steps, dissemination

<veronica> koalie ++

Ann: Thanks Coralie for the great work and redoing the survey and dissemination

Coralie: Thank you!

Jeff: And Julian we also got good support from your colleague and enhanced our survey
... please extend our thanks

Ann: In the background, I had a suggestion on how to advertise this
... I heard a suggestion about going to FOSDEM to advertise this

Jeff: FOSDEM is a great conference around open source and linux
... Yes, that would be a great place for outreach

Ann: I responded go for it :)

Jeff: AC first, obviously

<Zakim> koalie, you wanted to mention french web conf next fortnight

Coralie: I'm thinking of attending Paris Web on my free time; it's the popular French web conference that has been around 10 or so years
... if it's not premature, and if I end up going, I was thinking I might do some outreach.

Jeff: The whole thing is extremely public
... no problem telling people what we're up to

Ann: I think it's a great idea Coralie, the more we can tell and point to, the better
... it's in the spirit of Ian sending Advance Notices, this is the sort of situation we're in

Jeff: We should talk about it, definitely; I meant that holding a booth at fosdem was premature

<veronica> how about W3C cards with QCR code

[+1]

Jeff++ for wrangling this whole effort

<AnnBassetti> yes, indeed!!!

Jeff: I'm not sure we'll have more calls

Jeff: I'll send updates in e-mail of course

Ann: If you want help during TPAC, or pairing, let me know

Jeff: The webizen have spoken, I'll carry their message forward

<veronica> bye

[adjourned]

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.138 (CVS log)
$Date: 2014-10-03 14:08:58 $