Protocols and Formats Working Group Teleconference
04 Jun 2014


See also: IRC log


janina, Gottfried, Michael_Cooper, Andrew_Larkin, JF, Rich_Schwerdtfeger, Shane_McCarron, James_Nurthen, wuwei, Cynthia_Shell


<trackbot> Date: 04 June 2014

<janina> Meeting: PFWG telecon

<janina> agenda: this

preview agenda with items from two minutes

<scribe> ScribeNick: ShaneM

MC: asked to have us review the updated webapps charter. we don't have a URL yet. Keep an eye out. Make sure the dependencies are right.

Gottfried: URC (ISO 24752) is finally ready for a vote. Vote terminates end of July. New standard by year end if all goes well.

janina: we should point out the existence of this standard at the web of things conference.

Previous Meeting Minutes https://www.w3.org/2014/05/28-pf-minutes.html

RESOLUTION: The previous minutes can be published to the public list.

TPAC 2014 http://www.w3.org/2014/11/TPAC/

Nothing to report. We are planning to be very busy at the conference (last week of October).

Previous Meeting Minutes https://www.w3.org/2014/05/28-pf-minutes.html

Actions Review (Specs) http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/Group/track/actions/open

<MichaelC> close action-1414

<trackbot> Closed action-1414.

new on TR http://www.w3.org/TR/tr-status-drafts.html#tr_LCWD

<MichaelC> The app: URL Scheme

Nothing to worry about.

<MichaelC> State Chart XML (SCXML): State Machine Notation for Control Abstraction

Still has no accessibility implications.

<MichaelC> Encoding

No A11Y implications.

<MichaelC> Non-element Selectors Module Level 1

Discussion about what sorts of implications this owuld have if there are content changes that are not reflected in the DOM.

JF: propose we watch this one

janina: propose we try to just get back with CSS on the general topic of CSS-driven content changes that do not get reflected in the DOM.
... we should try to make some progress on our list of CSS issues before we try to schedule a meeting - so that we are primed for the discussion.
... we need to really come back to this. It is the most important thing we have on our list that we have not been paying enough attention to.
... let's schedule some time to talk about it later this month.

<MichaelC> ACTION: janina to reacquaint PF with CSS action agenda from TPAC 2011 - due 18 June [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2014/06/04-pf-minutes.html#action01]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-1449 - Reacquaint pf with css action agenda from tpac 2011 [on Janina Sajka - due 2014-06-18].

Community Groups Checkin http://www.w3.org/community/groups/

no community groups for this week

ARIA.Next Items; Publications CfC

richardschwerdtfeger: we have a call for consensus to publish the core and mappings as a heartbeat.

<MichaelC> Staging draft of CAAM FPWD: https://rawgit.com/w3c/aria/June_2014_TR/implementation/aria-implementation.html

Consensus is that the abstract sounds good enough for now.

MichaelC: read out the new status section

richardschwerdtfeger: we added aria-describedat in the first working draft and it is not in the list.

MichaelC: not sure if we can get that done by next Thursday

janina: it looked like there are number of tweaks some people want. we can slip a little since this is an FPWD.

<JF> +1 to Janina

richardschwerdtfeger: we also introduced role of none and it is not listed.

janina: if it were just a heartbeat it wouldn't matter. But an FPWD gets more attention.

cyns: Edits are being made this week.

MichaelC: I told them they had until Friday to make changes.

<cyns> is this the right url? http://rawgit.com/w3c/aria/master/implementation/aria-implementation.html#mapping_role_table

richardschwerdtfeger: if there were just a placeholder in the table that would be helpful.

MichaelC: that might be feasible.
... can I copy and paste the presentation role since it is very similar to none?

cyns: I think that's fine - but let the group know that is the approach.

MichaelC: and create a place holder row for describedat. Just leave it "TBD".

richardschwerdtfeger: Are we going to need to test both UIA and UIA express in the future? Will UIA express continue to be supported?
... The text in the tables looks okay.

janina: there are going to be some additional edits from Joanie and Joseph. We will know more by Friday.

MichaelC: transition request needs to go in today.
... we can make edits until friday even if the request goes in today.
... if we decide friday that it is not ready, that might be a bit embarrassing and might also invite additional scrutiny.

richardschwerdtfeger: i'm okay saying go with what we have and if there are additional edits, that's fine.

<richardschwerdtfeger> https://rawgit.com/w3c/aria/June_2014_TR/implementation/aria-implementation.html#glossary

<richardschwerdtfeger> ACTION: Cynthia provide link to UIA Express for Accessibility API reference in section 3 of CAAM [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2014/06/04-pf-minutes.html#action02]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-1450 - Provide link to uia express for accessibility api reference in section 3 of caam [on Cynthia Shelly - due 2014-06-11].

PROPOSED: Approve publication of the FPWD of CAAM and an updated working draft of ARIA 1.1 specification.

RESOLUTION: Approve publication of the FPWD of Core Accessibility API Mappings 1.1 Specification and an updated working draft of the ARIA 1.1 specification.

Previous Meeting Minutes https://www.w3.org/2014/05/28-pf-minutes.html

Vibration API https://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/Group/track/actions/1384

Other Task Force Updates

<richardschwerdtfeger> zakim IPCaller is Rich_Schwerdtfeger

Call for consensus in the task force is progressing. Once it is complete it will come here and to the HTML working group.

longdesc is still hanging fire. needs to get completed.

Vibration API https://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/Group/track/actions/1384

janina: took a look at it. It is a very short API. We may have a concern, but there is a generic issue rather than something specific to the API.
... would like us to refer it to the task force so that the higher level issue can be addressed.
... the more global question is "should there be a don't vibrate me" or "don't auto-play audio" flags that can apply to this and other APIs?

JF: anytime a user can customize their device to suit their needs that's a good thing.

janina: and it is not specific to AT.

richardschwerdtfeger: I think that's fair.

<JF> +1 to asking UAAG to weigh in

janina: Maybe this is already addressed by uaag. depending on what I learn from them I will bring it up in the task force.

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: Cynthia provide link to UIA Express for Accessibility API reference in section 3 of CAAM [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2014/06/04-pf-minutes.html#action02]
[NEW] ACTION: janina to reacquaint PF with CSS action agenda from TPAC 2011 - due 18 June [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2014/06/04-pf-minutes.html#action01]
[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.138 (CVS log)
$Date: 2014/06/04 17:03:01 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.138  of Date: 2013-04-25 13:59:11  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/none/role of none/
Found ScribeNick: ShaneM
Inferring Scribes: ShaneM
Present: janina Gottfried Michael_Cooper Andrew_Larkin JF Rich_Schwerdtfeger Shane_McCarron James_Nurthen wuwei Cynthia_Shell
Agenda: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-pfwg/2014Jun/0024.html
Found Date: 04 Jun 2014
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2014/06/04-pf-minutes.html
People with action items: cynthia janina link provide

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]