[Odrl-cc] Meaning hidden in the name of profile?

Renato Iannella renato at odrl.net
Thu Nov 25 13:09:48 EST 2004

On 25 Nov 2004, at 02:05, Lars Gunnarsson wrote:

> Alternative 1:
> To me this seems to be the right place to describe what the ODRL/CC
> Profile is all about. Any implementations will have to consider the
> new Permission semantic, or else they will not be able to handle the
> ODRL/CC profile.

Lars - thanks for your comments. I tend to agree as well with defining
a new
semantic Permission (this will also fit into the ODRL 1.1 model more
appropriately).

CC defines 2 Permissions that all licenses have:
  - Reproduction - the work may be reproduced
  - Distribution - the work (and, if authorized, derivative works) may
be distributed,
                   publicly displayed, and publicly performed

The CC full license details are listed here:
   <http://creativecommons.org/learn/licenses/fullrights>
and include:
"Every license allows licensees, provided they live up to your
conditions,
  (1) to copy the work
  (2) to distribute it
  (3) to display or perform it publicly
  (4) to make digital public performances of it (e.g., webcasting)
  (5) to shift the work into another format as a verbatim copy"

Trying to map the 2 Permissions to the above:
- Reproduction = 1, 3?, 5
- Distribution = 2, 3?, 4

Does (3) - which includes "display", belong to Reproduction?
In other words does Reproduction actually cover the semantics of
display/play/execute/print - the four
core use permissions from ODRL?

If it does, then we do not need a new explicit Permission.
It if does not, then we do!

Cheers

Renato Iannella
ODRL Initiative