[Odrl-cc] Meaning hidden in the name of profile?

Lars Gunnarsson lgunnars at twr-europe.at
Thu Nov 25 03:05:34 EST 2004

Sorry for my delay in commenting on this issue.

Alternative 2:
Implying that the CC profile means "all permissions allowed" to my understanding actually means that we are hiding the semantic . Checking for this would then only be possible based on the name of the profile. In other words, any implementation will have to test whether the name is ODRL/CC and then from that point on handle this profile differently. This would mean that if somebody else wants to define a profile of their own with a similar meaning, but still not completely compatible with the ODRL/CC, then they can not do so. The will have to also imply that the name of their own profile means the same thing as ODRL/CC. But this now means that their implementation is no longer compatible with the rest of the world.

This is for sure not a good solution!

Alternative 1:
To me this seems to be the right place to describe what the ODRL/CC Profile is all about. Any implementations will have to consider the new Permission semantic, or else they will not be able to handle the ODRL/CC profile.

I am not able to suggest how the syntax of this semantic should look like, as my experience is more in the area of implementing applications. There will probably be others on this list who can make suggestions on that.

If the syntax is designed nicely, so that it is clearly understood that this syntax means "any usage" and limitations then can be added (in a formal way), then we gain that any profile can make use of this (potentially a local profile of my own design, not published anywhere), and any implementation will be able to deal with it correctly (as long as it can deal with this specification). Sounds like a very good design to me!

Regards,

Lars Gunnarsson
Trans World Radio, Europe
Vienna, Austria