[Odrl-version2] Make it Simpler?

Alapan Arnab aarnab at cs.uct.ac.za
Tue Jan 16 21:04:54 EST 2007

I had a long chat with Helieman and Jamkhedkar (two of the authors of
the paper[1] I think you were meaning to reference ...) with regards to
this point. One critical point is that, while there needs to be a small
core, the core also needs to have stubs that can accommodate the more
complex scenarios. One of the things I was trying with my previous email
was to narrow down the core requirements and identify the possible
stubs.

I have made some changes to the paper (mostly grammatical), but I think
basing ODRL on a formalised model would be a good step. Using profiles
to set up the different stubs would be the next logical step then?

Alapan
[1]: http://doi.acm.org/10.1145/1179509.1179522
On Tue, 2007-01-16 at 15:31 +1000, Renato Iannella wrote:
> Alapan's email and a recent paper [1] have made me re-think the ODRL
> V2.0 path.
>
> We have a choice of making ODRL V2.0 more complex OR we can make the
> CORE language simple
> and support extensions for related DRM implementations.
>
> That is, ODRL has a core REL aspect that does not include all the
> associated functions like
> Digital Signatures, negotiations, legal stuff etc. All that can be
> added with specific profiles.
> The idea is we keep the core language "clean" from these additional
> features.
>
> This is just an idea - and I welcome comments from the WG.
>
> (and happy new year to all!)
>
> Cheers
>
> Renato Iannella
> ODRL Initiative
> http://odrl.net
>
> [1] <http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?
> id=1179522&jmp=references&coll=GUIDE&dl=GUIDE&CFID=15151515&CFTOKEN=6184
> 618>
Alapan Arnab
Data Networks Architecture (DNA) Laboratory
Department of Computer Science
University of Cape Town
Rondebosch, 7700
South Africa