[Odrl-version2] resumption of containers & model update

Renato Iannella renato at odrl.net
Mon Jan 30 15:00:07 EST 2006

Thanks Susi - I like the update!

> 2.) I kept prohibitions as they were. However, this issue need further
> discussion. The important question is if we can formalise the model
> with
> prohibitions in it... vicky I count on you here :)

We also need to be able to express the semantics of Permissions/
Prohibitions in the
(less formal) Model. In particular, the conflict that arises when
both are used in
a single expression (or expressions that are merged/inherited...)

In the current V2 Model, we only say that Permissions are what you
are allowed to
perform on the Target, and Prohibitions what you are not.

Remember in V1.1 we said that Permissions are what you are allowed to
perform on
the target **and nothing else** - that last bit is the important
difference.

a) Consider the following:
  Permission = Display
  Prohibition = Print

The person can display the target but not print it.

What about editing? It certainly does not say I can't do it.
But it does not say that I can either.

How can we define the semantics of Permissions/Prohibitions so that
when they
both appear, it is clear what they both mean?

Perhaps we need a way to indicate if they represent a "closed set" of
actions?

Cheers...  Renato