[Odrl-version2] New ODRL v2.0 Model

Steven Rowat Steven_Rowat at sunshine.net
Mon Jan 16 10:46:13 EST 2006

Hi Alapan,

Thanks for the opportunity to see your work. Comments below. Specifics first, then general.

4.1  Rights, Signature and Legal Elements.
All changes [#1-3] agreed.

4.2 Communication and License Elements
Changes 4-6, uncertain if necessary, but no objection

4.3 Contract
Change 7, agreed

Overall Comments:

1. Bidding would probably be a large-scale addition and if so might slow down dissemination of ODRL at a critical time.

2. What is a "ticket" in your revamped model (or, for that matter, in the original version 2. I admit I've forgotten)? How is it different from "contract"?

3. The use of the word 'contract' will be appropriate for negotiations between corporations and bureacracies, but might put off the average consumer wishing to download music or a few pages of text, say. In this situation, in my opinion, "Agreement" is much more user-friendly. Admittedly, the average user will not need to be looking under the hood, so "Agreement" could be used in pull-down menus etc., and 'contract' in the actual code. But still, it would be more clean to have the same word used at both levels, unless there is a legal reason why the word 'contract' has to be used; I suspect that there is not. ("A rose by any other name would smell as sweet").

4. Section 4.5, "Other Issues": Unfortunately in all of these I seem to understand too little about the situation to see a problem. I think I'll take the 'glass-is-half-full' approach and treat this as evidence that ODRL 2 is almost ready for release.  :-)

steven rowat