[Odrl-version2] re: First requirements working draft issued, please review!

Steven Rowat Steven_Rowat at sunshine.net
Tue Oct 19 04:24:24 EST 2004

Hello,

As requested by Ms. Guth, I am posting these responses to the V2
requirements (below, after the '++++++') to this ODRL working group.  In
general my comments are a support for the existing V2 requirements; I have
merely gone into detail as to why I feel certain of them are particularly
important for the situation of an independent 'content creator' who wishes
to sell their own works digitally on the Internet.

The only requirement for this situation that concerned me as possibly
missing is the ability to easily use a (probably free) 'preview' of a
portion of the work as part of the sale situation; however Ms. Guth has
explained that this is possible as well; which is good, because I think
this would be an important capability of the system.

+++++++

Goals:
"Keep ODLR simple"  is a typo error. Should be 'ODRL'!

Requirements:

1.1 Provide improved next rights (downstream rights).

Agreed. I strongly support 1.1 downstream rights for control over usage by
*content creators in particular*. To me, the idea that content creators can
have full control throughout the distribution is the exciting and
revolutionary part of the whole ODRL scheme, since it means that:
  a) there will be less censorship by 'middlemen' (or women) - who are
usually corporate players with little interest in the content itself.
  b) there will be less (unnecessary) profit removal by non-creators before
the content reaches the user; thereby allowing for fair return to the
creator. In many creative endeavours at present, this does not happen -
only the distributors get paid, not the creators. (This is not only unfair,
in the larger picture it distorts our social evolution mechanisms.)

1.4.    Support contract negotiation.

This is extremely important, since content use may come in the form of
yearly subscriptions, use without copying, use with copying, fair use, use
with ability to modify the content, collaborative use, etc. etc.  There
should be an easy way to set up a mechanism where the content creator can:
  a) know clearly his or her options in these semantics;
  b) set them easily;
and where the user can have the resulting choices easily displayed and easy
to respond to.
[UML may be useful here. See my comments about UML after point 6].

1.7.    Provide a "NOT" expression.

This seems like an efficient mechanism in some cases. However, it may
  a) run afoul of laws in certain jurisdictions; or
  b) allow the user to make use of the content in ways that the creator or
other enabler of this expression never intended.

If these problems are addressed in its wording and semantics, though, I see
no reason why this shouldn't be rolled into the basic contract negotiations
described in section 1.4.

1.9.    Provide an aligned constraint data model.

This seems like a good idea, especially if it will streamline integration
with other access systems during implementation.

2. Keep ODRL simple.

Strongly agreed. (Aside: point 1.9 is a good example of following this
rule). An example would be using plain language terms wherever possible.
The remarkable world-wide spread of HTML is due in no small part, in my
opinion, to the fact that it uses common language terms throughout.
Contrast with, say, Javascript, where cryptic symbols must be mastered.

Keep ODRL in the HTML tradition, as far as allowing anyone who uses a given
lanaguage as a whole (ie., English) to be able to understand and even
develop in the ODRL in their language. Thus content creators themselves
will be able to understand the language of ODRL; which makes sense if it is
to be the main vehicle for the sale of their works.

6. UML

UML was new to me, so I went quickly through Borland's excellent tutorial
(<http://bdn.borland.com/article/0,1410,31863,00.html>). Using UML seems
like a very good idea.

In fact, I find myself hoping for - expecting - that someone will produce a
UML software tool that will allow content creators to set their
permissions. The world is full of content creators who are not computer
literate, and the quickest way to integrate them into an internet
distribution system for their work will be to give them a *diagram*-based
tool for setting the copyright use and price permissions for their work.

If ODRL is already using UML, then it would be a short hop to having
software companies produce transparent software tools for creator use -
much like Dreamweaver or Adobe GoLive, say, are greatly accelerating the
ability of internet users to make HTML pages without actually writing code;
they merely drag and drop, etc.. In the same way, UML could function in
ODRL permission-setting, I envision.

Thanks again for your work, and hope this helps a little,

Best wishes,

steven rowat

web site: <http://www.rowatworks.com>
mailto:sc at rowatworks.com