Definition for Concept 'Version'
The Provenance WG charter identifies the concept 'Version' as a core concept of the provenance interchange language to be standardized (see http://www.w3.org/2011/01/prov-wg-charter).
- What term do we adopt for the concept 'Version'?
- How do we define the concept 'Version'?
- Where does concept 'Version' appear in ProvenanceExample?
- Which provenance query requires the concept 'Version'?
Proposed Definitions for the Concept 'Version'
Definition by JimM
A version of a thing A is another thing B which is an Invariant View or Perspective on (IVPT) thing A such that process executions of some type E that can use B to produce B' (of the same type as B) which is another IVP of Thing A. In this sense 'versionOf' is a subtype/alias for an IVPT relationship in which there exists some process which can produce a series of things of the same type as B which will all have IVPT relationships with A.
(We usually say part of/all the state of A is a logical content that, at various times, corresponds to the physcal content of B, B', B, etc. and usually call processes of type E 'editing' processes. However, given that the definition of thing types and process types are out-of-scope, the definition given is more general.)
Definition by Luc
A thing B is a version of (or should we say revision of) a thing A if:
- B is derived from A
- there exists a thing C, such that:
- B is IVP of C
- A is IVP of C
- statements about C are optional
--Luc Moreau 23:20, 20 June 2011 (UTC)
- These comments seem to indicate we have necessary conditions rather than sufficient conditions for a definition of revision.
blah, blah, blah