Re: [xmlProfiles-29] xml subsetting in IETF XMPP

N.B.: This page is a copy of a real mailing list archive generated to test the proposed mailing lists archives improvements.

From: Fabrice Desré <fabrice.desre@francetelecom.com>
Date: Wed, Apr 02 2003
To: Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com>
CC: Noah Mendelsohn/Cambridge/IBM <noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com>, Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>, "Henry S. Thompson" <ht@cogsci.ed.ac.uk>, www-tag@w3.org

Tim Bray wrote:

> I don't.  Let's call a spade a spade.  SOAP/XMLPP have created an
> incompatible subset of XML such that general-purpose XML generators
> cannot reliably be used to generate their messages, and general-purpose
> XML procedssors cannot reliably be used to receive them.  It looks like
> a subset, walks like a subset, quacks like a subset.

  Tim,

  What is the issue to receive such subset ? I've been writing
jabber/xmpp software with a very compliant toolkit (libxml2) and only
had issues when it cames to generate messages - some unusual care must
be taken, since the "reference" implementation of the server was not
namespace compliant :-(

	Fabrice
--
Fabrice Desré