SWEO Community Project: Linking Open Data on the Semantic Web
Linked Data Applications
This page collects information about (Web) applications on top of linked data. We discuss issues and ideas here and report on already available LOD applications ranging from low-level tools (mainly for developer) to applications targeting end-users (that is, your Granny).
The page is part of the Linking Open Data community project.
Ideas and Issues
We are collecting ideas for good practices here and further gather issues around building Web applications that use linked data; for an overview see [1,2,3]. Please feel free to add your proposals or observation to this list:
- assemble LOD datasets on-the-fly (maybe based on voiD, the 'Vocabulary of Interlinked Datasets'?)
- add quality of service (QoS) measures to LOD
- offer a configurable, dedicated LOD/RDF crawler that can be used for certain domains/intranet/etc.
- though not an entirely resolved issue, one can use voiD for the discovery and usage of linked datasets
- as of the demise of lcsh.info, dchud had some very relevant thoughts on caching and proxying Linked Data
We have recently discussed (#swig on 2009-01-09) about categorising the LOD applications. Currently we have the following proposal on the table:
- LOD applications on the infrastructure level such as Virtuoso Sponger, etc.
- low-level access and manipulation LOD applications, mainly targeting developers, such as Tabulator
- end-user LOD applications such as or BBC Music beta
Examples in the Wild
|URI||infrastructure level||low-level access and manipulation|
|BBC Music beta||-||-|
|Database Researchers Map||-||-|
|dbrec - Music Recommendations||-||-|
|OpenLink Data Explorer||-||-|
|OpenLink Data Spaces (ODS, omnibus)||-||Y|
|RKBGadgets - See the RKB through Google Gadgets||-||-|
People Interested in the Area
-  M. Hausenblas, Exploiting Linked Data to Build Web Applications, IEEE Internet Computing, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 68-73, July/August, 2009. pre-print available.
-  M. Smethurst (BBC). How we make websites
-  M. Hausenblas. Discovery and Usage of Linked Datasets on the Web of Data, NodMag #4, Sep 2008.
-  C. St. John. Linked Data: End-User Applications?, blog post, Mar 2009.
-  M. Hausenblas, Linked Data Applications - The Genesis and the Challenges of Using Linked Data on the Web, DERI Technical Report, v2009-07-26.
- See also Chapter Deployed Linked Data Applications in Linked Data book.