The objective of this wiki page is to form a collection of various opinions about value propositions of AC meetings as well as opinions about participation costs.
I gathered these opinions from AC forum posts posted between March and June, 2013. The views expressed in this collection are almost exclusively from our most active members and team staff, so the views of disinterested and/or quiet members are absent from this collection.
Expanding the Opinion Set
To determine better value propositions, we need to gather the opinions of the "silent majority".
Views on the Value Proposition
- Team and AC rep interactions, feel the W3C heartbeat
- Hallway Time: talking to other AC reps
- Conversations between sessions, at dinners, and etc.
- Meet a significant portion of the W3C "active" membership
- Help building global perspective
- Member-centric Agenda
- Flexible Agenda: tweaking agenda during meetings
- Make sure the agenda includes recent topics (not just old/static topics)
- Reconciling discussion topics on the AC forum with the AC meeting agenda
- New member intro
- Decision making in AC meetings and preparatory AC conference calls
- Updates/overviews of immature topics in f2f AC meetings
- Chairs report
- AB/TAG overviews
- Eliminate reminder-type sessions
- TPAC twice a year and no stand-alone AC meetings
- Avoid unconference: Unconference-style doesn't fly at AC meetings
- Avoid one-way phone conferences
- Improve AC Rep's profiles
- Go completely remote
- Enhancing remote participation tools for those who can't get approval for their travel cost and/or time
- Definition of cost varies by company and by individual
- Benefits of attending should balance out the travel costs
- ROI will improve with three-day AC meetings