ISSUE-131: Should we add a caret location API to canvas, or is the focus API sufficient?

caret-location-API

Should we add a caret location API to canvas, or is the focus API sufficient?

State:
CLOSED
Product:
HTML 5 spec
Raised by:
Sam Ruby
Opened on:
2010-10-13
Description:
Per request, this issue was split off of ISSUE-74 in order to enable us to make progress on resolving the remainder of the issue:

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2010Oct/0086.html
Related Actions Items:
No related actions
Related emails:
  1. {minutes}} HTML WG telecon 2012-09-06 (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2012-09-06)
  2. {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2012-09-06 (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2012-09-05)
  3. Re: CfC: Close ISSUE-131: caret-location-api by Amicable Resolution (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2012-08-31)
  4. Re: CfC: Close ISSUE-131: caret-location-api by Amicable Resolution (from schwer@us.ibm.com on 2012-08-31)
  5. Re: CfC: Close ISSUE-131: caret-location-api by Amicable Resolution (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2012-08-31)
  6. Re: CfC: Close ISSUE-131: caret-location-api by Amicable Resolution (from schwer@us.ibm.com on 2012-08-31)
  7. Re: CfC: Close ISSUE-131: caret-location-api by Amicable Resolution (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2012-08-31)
  8. {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2012-08-29 (from mjs@apple.com on 2012-08-29)
  9. Re: {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2012-08-23, issues, task force reports, discussion items (from eoconnor@apple.com on 2012-08-23)
  10. Re: CfC: Close ISSUE-131: caret-location-api by Amicable Resolution (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2012-08-22)
  11. Re: CfC: Close ISSUE-131: caret-location-api by Amicable Resolution (from eoconnor@apple.com on 2012-08-22)
  12. Re: CfC: Close ISSUE-131: caret-location-api by Amicable Resolution (from chuck@jumis.com on 2012-08-22)
  13. {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2012-08-23, issues, task force reports, discussion items (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2012-08-22)
  14. CfC: Close ISSUE-131: caret-location-api by Amicable Resolution (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2012-08-22)
  15. RE: {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2012-08-14, some issues, lots of discussion topics (from Eliot.Graff@microsoft.com on 2012-08-15)
  16. {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2012-08-14, some issues, lots of discussion topics (from mjs@apple.com on 2012-08-14)
  17. RE: Issue 131 next steps (was: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-205) (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2012-08-14)
  18. RE: Issue 131 next steps (was: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-205) (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2012-08-14)
  19. {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2012-08-09 - action items, issues, decisions and task force reports (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2012-08-08)
  20. {minutes} HTML WG telecon 2012-08-02 - action items, issues and decisions (from glenn@skynav.com on 2012-08-02)
  21. {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2012-08-02 - action items, issues and decisions (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2012-08-01)
  22. [minutes] 20120726 HTML WG (from plh@w3.org on 2012-07-27)
  23. RE: {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2012-07-26 - issues, decisions and task force reports (from krisk@microsoft.com on 2012-07-26)
  24. Re: Updating Change Proposals for ISSUE-131: caret-location-api (from mjs@apple.com on 2012-07-25)
  25. Re: Updating Change Proposals for ISSUE-131: caret-location-api (from schwer@us.ibm.com on 2012-07-25)
  26. {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2012-07-26 - issues, decisions and task force reports (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2012-07-25)
  27. Re: Updating Change Proposals for ISSUE-131: caret-location-api (from janina@rednote.net on 2012-07-24)
  28. Re: Updating Change Proposals for ISSUE-131: caret-location-api (from schwer@us.ibm.com on 2012-07-24)
  29. Re: {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2012-07-19 - issues, decisions and surveys (from eoconnor@apple.com on 2012-07-19)
  30. RE: Updating Change Proposals for ISSUE-131: caret-location-api (from Frank.Olivier@microsoft.com on 2012-07-19)
  31. {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2012-07-19 - issues, decisions and surveys (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2012-07-18)
  32. Updating Change Proposals for ISSUE-131: caret-location-api (from mjs@apple.com on 2012-07-17)
  33. Re: {minutes} HTML WG telecon 2012-03-22 (from glenn@skynav.com on 2012-03-22)
  34. {minutes} HTML WG telecon 2012-03-22 (from glenn@skynav.com on 2012-03-22)
  35. {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2012-03-22: issue progress, heartbeat drafts, revert request, F2F registration, task force reports (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2012-03-21)
  36. RE: {minutes} HTML WG telecon 2012-03-08: issue progress, heartbeat drafts, other topics (from adrianba@microsoft.com on 2012-03-15)
  37. RE: {minutes} HTML WG telecon 2012-03-08: issue progress, heartbeat drafts, other topics (from adrianba@microsoft.com on 2012-03-15)
  38. {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2012-03-08: issue progress, heartbeat drafts, other topics (from mjs@apple.com on 2012-03-14)
  39. {minutes} HTML WG telecon 2012-03-08: issue progress, heartbeat drafts, F2F meeting plans, task force reports (from glenn@skynav.com on 2012-03-08)
  40. Re: {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2012-03-08: issue progress, heartbeat drafts, F2F meeting plans, task force reports (from glenn@skynav.com on 2012-03-08)
  41. {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2012-03-08: issue progress, heartbeat drafts, F2F meeting plans, task force reports (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2012-03-08)
  42. {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2012-03-08: issue progress, heartbeat drafts, F2F meeting plans, task force reports (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2012-03-07)
  43. [minutes] HTML WG telecon 2012-02-16: issue progress (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2012-02-16)
  44. HTML WG telecon 2012-02-16: issue progress (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2012-02-15)
  45. ISSUE-131: caret-location-API - Chairs Solicit Alternate Proposals or Counter-Proposals (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2012-02-14)
  46. ISSUE-205: caret-location-API - Chairs Solicit Alternate Proposals or Counter-Proposals (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2012-02-14)
  47. Issue 131 Change Proposals (from schwer@us.ibm.com on 2012-02-10)
  48. RE: {minutes} HTML WG telecon 2012-02-09: issue progress, task force reports, revert request, new information deadline, F2F (from adrianba@microsoft.com on 2012-02-09)
  49. HTML WG telecon 2012-02-09: issue progress, task force reports, revert request, new information deadline, F2F (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2012-02-07)
  50. {minutes} HTML WG telecon 2012-01-26: issue progress (from glenn@skynav.com on 2012-02-02)
  51. RE: {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2012-01-26: issue progress (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2012-02-02)
  52. Revert Request [was RE: {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2012-01-26: issue progress] (from john@foliot.ca on 2012-02-01)
  53. {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2012-01-26: issue progress (from mjs@apple.com on 2012-02-01)
  54. HTML WG minutes (Re: {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2012-01-12: issue progress, other business) (from mjs@apple.com on 2012-01-12)
  55. {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2012-01-12: issue progress, other business (from mjs@apple.com on 2012-01-12)
  56. ISSUE-131: caret-location-API - Chairs Solicit Proposals (from mjs@apple.com on 2012-01-11)
  57. RE: Clarification on process for bugs marked resolved won't fix (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2011-12-20)
  58. {minutes} HTML WG telecon 2011-12-15: issue progress, editor's drafts, speech xg (from eoconnor@apple.com on 2011-12-15)
  59. Fwd: Re: Request to re-open issue 131 (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2011-12-10)
  60. Re: Request to re-open issue 131 (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2011-12-09)
  61. RE: {minutes} HTML WG telecon 2011-12-08: actions, issues and task force reports (from adrianba@microsoft.com on 2011-12-08)
  62. RE: {minutes} HTML WG telecon 2010-10-27: issue updates, task force reports (from adrianba@microsoft.com on 2011-10-27)
  63. {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2010-10-27: issue updates, task force reports (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2011-10-26)
  64. {minutes} HTML WG telecon 2010-10-13: issue updates, task force reports (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2011-10-13)
  65. Re: Issues the chairs overlooked in their review of the canvas accessibility API proposal for Issue 131 (from schwer@us.ibm.com on 2011-07-22)
  66. Re: Issues the chairs overlooked in their review of the canvas accessibility API proposal for Issue 131 (from mjs@apple.com on 2011-07-22)
  67. Re: Final decision on Issue-131 (from plh@w3.org on 2011-05-25)
  68. Re: Final decision on Issue-131 (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2011-05-25)
  69. Re: Final decision on Issue-131 (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2011-05-25)
  70. Responses to Last Call survey objections (from mjs@apple.com on 2011-05-25)
  71. RE: Final decision on Issue-131 (from plh@w3.org on 2011-05-17)
  72. RE: Final decision on Issue-131 (from plh@w3.org on 2011-05-17)
  73. RE: Final decision on Issue-131 (from schwer@us.ibm.com on 2011-05-17)
  74. RE: Final decision on Issue-131 (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2011-05-15)
  75. Final decision on Issue-131 (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2011-05-10)
  76. {minutes} HTML WG telecon 2011-05-05: short agenda; approaching Last Call (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2011-05-05)
  77. [Bug 12604] New: Provide accessibility API details for Change Proposal for ISSUE-131 (from bugzilla@jessica.w3.org on 2011-05-05)
  78. {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2011-05-04: short agenda; approaching Last Call (from mjs@apple.com on 2011-05-04)
  79. Re: The plan for ISSUE-131 / bug 11239 (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2011-05-03)
  80. Re: The plan for ISSUE-131 / bug 11239 (from ian@hixie.ch on 2011-05-03)
  81. The plan for ISSUE-131 / bug 11239 (from mjs@apple.com on 2011-05-03)
  82. Re: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-131 caret-location-api (from schwer@us.ibm.com on 2011-05-01)
  83. Re: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-131 caret-location-api (from robert@ocallahan.org on 2011-05-01)
  84. Re: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-131 caret-location-api (from robert@ocallahan.org on 2011-05-01)
  85. Re: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-131 caret-location-api (from robert@ocallahan.org on 2011-05-01)
  86. Re: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-131 caret-location-api (from robert@ocallahan.org on 2011-05-01)
  87. Re: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-131 caret-location-api (from bhawkeslewis@googlemail.com on 2011-04-30)
  88. Re: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-131 caret-location-api (from faulkner.steve@gmail.com on 2011-04-30)
  89. Re: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-131 caret-location-api (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2011-04-30)
  90. Re: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-131 caret-location-api (from gerv@mozilla.org on 2011-04-30)
  91. Re: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-131 caret-location-api (from robert@ocallahan.org on 2011-04-30)
  92. Re: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-131 caret-location-api (from robert@ocallahan.org on 2011-04-30)
  93. Re: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-131 caret-location-api (from ian@hixie.ch on 2011-04-29)
  94. Re: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-131 caret-location-api (from jonas@sicking.cc on 2011-04-29)
  95. Re: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-131 caret-location-api (from Simetrical+w3c@gmail.com on 2011-04-29)
  96. Re: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-131 caret-location-api (from bhawkeslewis@googlemail.com on 2011-04-29)
  97. Re: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-131 caret-location-api (from bhawkeslewis@googlemail.com on 2011-04-29)
  98. Re: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-131 caret-location-api (from Simetrical+w3c@gmail.com on 2011-04-29)
  99. Re: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-131 caret-location-api (from schwer@us.ibm.com on 2011-04-29)
  100. Re: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-131 caret-location-api (from bhawkeslewis@googlemail.com on 2011-04-29)
  101. Re: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-131 caret-location-api (from bhawkeslewis@googlemail.com on 2011-04-29)
  102. Re: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-131 caret-location-api (from jonas@sicking.cc on 2011-04-29)
  103. Re: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-131 caret-location-api (from jonas@sicking.cc on 2011-04-29)
  104. Re: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-131 caret-location-api (from bhawkeslewis@googlemail.com on 2011-04-29)
  105. Re: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-131 caret-location-api (from jonas@sicking.cc on 2011-04-28)
  106. Re: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-131 caret-location-api (from jonas@sicking.cc on 2011-04-28)
  107. Re: {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2011-04-28: ISSUE-152, Decisions, TF reports, Last Call schedule (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2011-04-28)
  108. Re: Applying the ISSUE-131 decision (from schwer@us.ibm.com on 2011-04-28)
  109. Re: Bug 11239 proposed patch (from julian.reschke@gmx.de on 2011-04-28)
  110. RE: {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2011-04-28: ISSUE-152, Decisions, TF reports, Last Call schedule (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2011-04-27)
  111. {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2011-04-28: ISSUE-152, Decisions, TF reports, Last Call schedule (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2011-04-27)
  112. Re: Applying the ISSUE-131 decision (from ian@hixie.ch on 2011-04-27)
  113. RE: ISSUE-152 survey and Last Call schedule (from ian@hixie.ch on 2011-04-27)
  114. RE: ISSUE-152 survey and Last Call schedule (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2011-04-27)
  115. Re: Applying the ISSUE-131 decision (from mjs@apple.com on 2011-04-26)
  116. Re: ISSUE-152 survey and Last Call schedule (from mjs@apple.com on 2011-04-26)
  117. Applying the ISSUE-131 decision (from mjs@apple.com on 2011-04-26)
  118. {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2011-04-13: Decisions, ISSUE-120 Reopen Request, ISSUE-129 Wording (from mjs@apple.com on 2011-04-13)
  119. Re: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-131 caret-location-api (from xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no on 2011-04-12)
  120. Re: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-131 caret-location-api (from jackalmage@gmail.com on 2011-04-11)
  121. Re: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-131 caret-location-api (from mjs@apple.com on 2011-04-11)
  122. Re: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-131 caret-location-api (from jackalmage@gmail.com on 2011-04-11)
  123. Correction Re: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-131 caret-location-api (from mjs@apple.com on 2011-04-11)
  124. Working Group Decision on ISSUE-131 caret-location-api (from mjs@apple.com on 2011-04-11)
  125. RE: {minutes} HTML WG telecon 2011-04-07: Issues, Surveys, Decisions and Publications (from adrianba@microsoft.com on 2011-04-07)
  126. {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2011-04-07: Issues, Surveys, Decisions and Publications (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2011-04-06)
  127. {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2011-03-31: Issues, Publications, Surveys, Decisions, Task Force Reports (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2011-03-30)
  128. ISSUE-131: caret-location - Straw Poll for Objections (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2011-03-24)
  129. {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2011-03-24: Issues, surveys, decisions (from mjs@apple.com on 2011-03-23)
  130. Re: ISSUE-131 counter proposal (from ian@hixie.ch on 2011-03-23)
  131. RE: {minutes} HTML WG telecon 2011-03-17: Issues, surveys, decisions and task force reports (from adrianba@microsoft.com on 2011-03-17)
  132. {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2011-03-17: Issues, surveys, decisions and task force reports (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2011-03-15)
  133. {minutes} HTML WG telecon 2011-02-24: Action items and Issues (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2011-02-24)
  134. {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2011-02-24: Action items and Issues (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2011-02-23)
  135. ISSUE-131 caret-location-API - Chairs Solicit Alternate Proposals or Counter-Proposals (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2011-02-22)
  136. {minutes} HTML WG telecon 2011-02-17: Issues, handling of features, task force reports (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2011-02-20)
  137. {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2011-02-17: Issues, handling of features, task force reports (from mjs@apple.com on 2011-02-17)
  138. Re: request to re-open issue 133 due to submission of a change prposal. (from faulkner.steve@gmail.com on 2011-02-01)
  139. {minutes} HTML WG Telecon 2010-01-27: status of actions, new issues, closing items, new calls, charter status (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2011-01-27)
  140. {agenda} HTML WG Telecon 2010-01-27: status of actions, new issues, closing items, new calls, charter status (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2011-01-26)
  141. RE: {minutes} HTML WG Telecon 2010-01-20: status of actions, calls; task force reports (from adrianba@microsoft.com on 2011-01-20)
  142. {agenda} HTML WG Telecon 2010-01-20: status of actions, calls; task force reports (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2011-01-18)
  143. ISSUE-131 caret-location-API: Chairs Solicit Proposals (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2011-01-18)
  144. {minutes} HTML WG Telecon 2011-01-06: status of actions, calls, deadlines, task force reports (from plh@w3.org on 2011-01-11)
  145. HTML WG Telecon 2010-12-16: status of actions, calls; task force reports (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2011-01-05)
  146. Working Group Decision on ISSUE-74 canvas-accessibility and ISSUE-105 canvas-usemap (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-12-14)
  147. {minutes} HTML WG F2F minutes, Lyon, France, Nov 4-5 Part 1 (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2010-11-09)
  148. {minutes} } HTML WG Telecon 2010-10-21: status of actions, calls, issues, heartbeat drafts, and TPAC (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2010-10-21)
  149. {agenda} HTML WG Telecon 2010-10-21: status of actions, calls, issues, heartbeat drafts, and TPAC (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2010-10-20)
  150. Re: question about canvas survey and issue-131 (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2010-10-20)
  151. Re: question about canvas survey and issue 131 (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2010-10-14)
  152. question about canvas survey and issue 131 (from cyns@microsoft.com on 2010-10-14)
  153. RE: {minutes} HTML WG Telecon 2010-10-14 actions, status of calls, issues and bugs, heartbeat drafts, task force reports (from adrianba@microsoft.com on 2010-10-14)
  154. {agenda} HTML WG Telecon 2010-10-14 actions, status of calls, issues and bugs, heartbeat drafts, task force reports (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2010-10-13)
  155. ISSUE-74: canvas-accessibility and ISSUE-105 canvas-usemap - Straw Poll for Objections (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2010-10-13)
  156. ISSUE-131 (caret-location-API): Should we add a caret location API to canvas, or is the focus API sufficient? [HTML 5 spec] (from sysbot+tracker@w3.org on 2010-10-13)

Related notes:

Bug triage sub-team notes the following bugs also potentially related to this issue:

http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=11239
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=11240
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=11241
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=11242

Michael Cooper, 30 Nov 2010, 16:42:18

Reverting to raised until a Change Proposal is produced

Sam Ruby, 14 Feb 2011, 15:14:39

This is the change proposal, from the canvas accessibility working group:

http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposals/CaretSelection

Richard Schwerdtfeger, 21 Feb 2011, 20:43:47

Change verified, issue closed: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2011May/0349.html

Sam Ruby, 25 May 2011, 21:12:53

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2011Dec/0059.html

Sam Ruby, 9 Dec 2011, 12:49:15

[glenn]: caret-location-API, Call for Counter Proposals closed Mar 14

22 Mar 2012, 16:04:48

Display change log ATOM feed


Paul Cotton <Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com>, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>, Chairs, Michael[tm] Smith <mike@w3.org>, Staff Contact
Tracker: documentation, (configuration for this group), originally developed by Dean Jackson, is developed and maintained by the Systems Team <w3t-sys@w3.org>.
$Id: index.php,v 1.325 2014-09-10 21:42:02 ted Exp $