ISSUE-100: Remove the srcdoc attribute from the HTML5 specification

srcdoc

Remove the srcdoc attribute from the HTML5 specification

State:
CLOSED
Product:
HTML 5 spec
Raised by:
Shelley Powers
Opened on:
2010-02-14
Description:
The HTML5 editor has marked Bug 8818 as WONTFIX.

The srcdoc attribute does not have universal acceptance, and the group was still
discussing it when the editor added it to the specification, without group consensus.

The supposed use case for this attribute is weblog comments, but concerns about
HTML security have been resolved with weblog and other application comments
years ago. In addition, support for this attribute could give the impression
that online sites don't need any other security, which is false. Script
injection is only one aspect of security related to weblog comments, and
considered a fairly trivial one at that.

Remove srcdoc from the HTML5 specification.

HTML5-SPEC-SECTIONS [the-iframe-element]
Related Actions Items:
No related actions
Related emails:
  1. Re: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-100 srcdoc (from andrew.fedoniouk@live.com on 2010-10-16)
  2. Re: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-100 srcdoc (from w3c@adambarth.com on 2010-10-16)
  3. Re: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-100 srcdoc (from andrew.fedoniouk@live.com on 2010-10-15)
  4. Re: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-100 srcdoc (from jackalmage@gmail.com on 2010-10-15)
  5. Re: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-100 srcdoc (from andrew.fedoniouk@live.com on 2010-10-14)
  6. Re: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-100 srcdoc (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-10-14)
  7. RE: {minutes} HTML WG Telecon 2010-10-14 actions, status of calls, issues and bugs, heartbeat drafts, task force reports (from adrianba@microsoft.com on 2010-10-14)
  8. Re: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-100 srcdoc (from jackalmage@gmail.com on 2010-10-14)
  9. Re: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-100 srcdoc (from julian.reschke@gmx.de on 2010-10-14)
  10. Re: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-100 srcdoc (from jackalmage@gmail.com on 2010-10-14)
  11. Re: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-103 srcdoc-xml-escaping (from simonp@opera.com on 2010-10-14)
  12. Re: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-100 srcdoc (from andrew.fedoniouk@live.com on 2010-10-13)
  13. Re: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-100 srcdoc (from Simetrical+w3c@gmail.com on 2010-10-13)
  14. {agenda} HTML WG Telecon 2010-10-14 actions, status of calls, issues and bugs, heartbeat drafts, task force reports (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2010-10-13)
  15. Working Group Decision on ISSUE-103 srcdoc-xml-escaping (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2010-10-13)
  16. Working Group Decision on ISSUE-100 srcdoc (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2010-10-13)
  17. [Bug 10788] New: @srcdoc in polyglot documents (from bugzilla@jessica.w3.org on 2010-09-28)
  18. HTML Working Group Status (from plh@w3.org on 2010-08-27)
  19. Re: ISSUE-100 and convergence of specs (from Simetrical+w3c@gmail.com on 2010-08-11)
  20. {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2010-08-12: action 29; issues 116, 30, 109, 27; bugs 9894, 10066 (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2010-08-11)
  21. Re: ISSUE-100 and convergence of specs (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2010-08-10)
  22. Re: ISSUE-100 and convergence of specs (from Simetrical+w3c@gmail.com on 2010-08-10)
  23. ISSUE-100 and convergence of specs (from julian.reschke@gmx.de on 2010-08-10)
  24. RE: {minutes} HTML WG telecon 2010-08-04 [task force week] (from adrianba@microsoft.com on 2010-08-05)
  25. ISSUE-100: srcdoc - Straw Poll for Objections (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2010-08-04)
  26. {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2010-08-04 [task force week] (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2010-08-04)
  27. Re: WebKit feedback on ISSUE-100 (remove srcdoc) (from bzbarsky@MIT.EDU on 2010-07-19)
  28. Re: WebKit feedback on ISSUE-100 (remove srcdoc) (from w3c@adambarth.com on 2010-07-19)
  29. Re: WebKit feedback on ISSUE-100 (remove srcdoc) (from bzbarsky@MIT.EDU on 2010-07-19)
  30. Re: WebKit feedback on ISSUE-100 (remove srcdoc) (from bzbarsky@MIT.EDU on 2010-07-19)
  31. Re: WebKit feedback on ISSUE-100 (remove srcdoc) (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-07-17)
  32. WebKit feedback on ISSUE-100 (remove srcdoc) (from w3c@adambarth.com on 2010-07-17)
  33. {minutes} HTML WG telecon 2010-07-15 (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2010-07-15)
  34. {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2010-07-15: note new dial-in numbers for Paris and London (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2010-07-14)
  35. {minutes} HTML WG telecon 2010-07-08: actions, issues, decisions, revised proposals, future surveys, TF reports (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2010-07-08)
  36. FW: {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2010-07-08: actions, issues, decisions, revised proposals, future surveys, TF reports (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2010-07-07)
  37. {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2010-07-08: actions, issues, decisions, revised proposals, future surveys, TF reports (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2010-07-07)
  38. Re: Change proposal for ISSUE-103 (from julian.reschke@gmx.de on 2010-06-06)
  39. Re: ISSUE-100, ISSUE-89, ISSUE-106 (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-04-14)
  40. ISSUE-100, ISSUE-89, ISSUE-106 (from shelley.just@gmail.com on 2010-04-14)
  41. Re: Removal of other semantic elements (from jonas@sicking.cc on 2010-04-02)
  42. Re: Removal of other semantic elements (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-04-02)
  43. [minutes] 2010-04-01 HTML Teleconference (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2010-04-01)
  44. Re: Change proposals uploaded to Wiki - URLs, suggestions on Issue 92 table (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-03-31)
  45. ISSUE-100 Change Proposal (from shelley.just@gmail.com on 2010-03-31)
  46. Re: {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2010-04-01: action items, decision policy update, issue status (from shelley.just@gmail.com on 2010-03-30)
  47. {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2010-04-01: action items, decision policy update, issue status (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2010-03-30)
  48. {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2010-04-01: action items, decision policy update, issue status (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2010-03-30)
  49. [minutes] 20100325 HTML teleconference (from plh@w3.org on 2010-03-30)
  50. Re: {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2010-03-25: decision policy, issue status, updates from meetings, task force reports (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-03-24)
  51. {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2010-03-25: decision policy, issue status, updates from meetings, task force reports (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2010-03-24)
  52. Change proposal for issue 103, was: ISSUE-103 change proposal (from julian.reschke@gmx.de on 2010-03-18)
  53. Re: ISSUE-103 change proposal (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-03-13)
  54. Re: ISSUE-103 change proposal (from jens@meiert.com on 2010-03-13)
  55. Re: Breakdown of issues (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2010-03-12)
  56. Breakdown of issues (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-03-12)
  57. Re: requesting one more extension (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2010-02-23)
  58. Re: requesting one more extension (from shelleypowers@burningbird.net on 2010-02-18)
  59. RE: requesting one more extension (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2010-02-18)
  60. Re: requesting one more extension (from shelleypowers@burningbird.net on 2010-02-18)
  61. RE: requesting one more extension (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2010-02-18)
  62. Re: Issue 85 and (from faulkner.steve@gmail.com on 2010-02-18)
  63. requesting one more extension (from shelleypowers@burningbird.net on 2010-02-18)
  64. RE: {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2010-02-18: actions, issues, publication (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2010-02-18)
  65. RE: {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2010-02-18: actions, issues, publication (from geoff_freed@wgbh.org on 2010-02-17)
  66. Re: {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2010-02-18: actions, issues, publication (from janina@rednote.net on 2010-02-17)
  67. {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2010-02-18: actions, issues, publication (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-02-17)
  68. ISSUE-100 (srcdoc): Remove the srcdoc attribute from the HTML5 specification [HTML 5 spec] (from sysbot+tracker@w3.org on 2010-02-14)

Related notes:

WG Decision: http://www.w3.org/mid/4CB58875.2090608%2540intertwingly.net

Sam Ruby, 13 Oct 2010, 12:53:44

Display change log ATOM feed


Paul Cotton <Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com>, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>, Chairs, Michael[tm] Smith <mike@w3.org>, Staff Contact
Tracker: documentation, (configuration for this group), originally developed by Dean Jackson, is developed and maintained by the Systems Team <w3t-sys@w3.org>.
$Id: index.php,v 1.323 2013-12-19 14:47:09 dom Exp $