Data Catalog Vocabulary/Resource Guide
From W3C eGovernment Wiki
General reading on Open Government Data
- Publishing Open Government Data (W3C working draft)
Proposed standards for data catalogs
- Sunlight Labs: Government Data Catalog Guidelines — collection of links, list of suggested metadata terms
- Sunlight Labs: Drafting Guidelines for Government Data Catalogs — proposes an API for accessing catalogs (based on ROA with JSON/XML/CSV), list of metadata terms, Atom-based updates
- DERI's dcat is an RDF Schema vocabulary for describing government datasets and data catalogs.
- RPI's data.gov vocabulary proposal — focuses on data.gov, has general recommendations and design principles for vocabularies
Vocabularies for describing datasets and catalogs
- DERI's dcat is a vocabulary for describing government datasets and data catalogs.
- CTIC's Dataset Catalog Vocabulary is a simple vocabulary that provides classes for catalogs and datasets.
- DERI's voiD is a vocabulary for describing datasets available in RDF format (but not for other formats).
- SCOVO and SDMX-RDF are vocabularies for describing statistical datasets (but not other kinds of datasets).
Data catalogs in RDF
This section lists data catalogs that are already available in RDF.
- Peter Krantz's opengov.se and opengov-catalog — uses Dublin Core, FOAF and Atom
- (not really released yet) CKAN — uses dcat, contains data.gov.uk and many other datasets, has SPARQL endpoint
- CTIC's Datos de Asturias — uses voiD, everything (including the actual datasets) is RDF
- CTIC's Public Sector Dataset Catalogs — “meta-catalog”, a list of catalogs; uses the CTIC vocabulary, Dublin Core
- DERI's DERI dcat Demonstrator — contains data.gov, data.australia.gov.au, datasf.org, data.london.gov.uk; uses dcat; has SPARQL endpoint
- RDFa in data.gov.uk — simple Dublin Core + dcat descriptions of all datasets
- RDFa in data.australia.gov.au - uses Dublin Core mainly. Creative Common RDF vocabulary is used for license information. Available also as RSS 1.0 feeds
- RPI has the data.gov catalog in RDF
- @@@ Old CKAN mapping (semantic.ckan.net)
- @@@ others?
Data catalogs in non-RDF formats
This section lists some examples of data catalogs that are available in other, non-RDF formats.
- DC.gov data catalog in OPML
- recovery.berkely.edu: An Atom-based approach to publishing government data. Paper with technical background: Web Services for Recovery.gov (PDF)
- dcat in Atom Strawman
Federated data catalogs
- Sunlight Labs National Data Catalog
- Guardian's World Government Data
Lists of data catalogs
- CTIC's List of Public Sector Dataset Catalogs (and world map)
- Government data catalogs at Sunlight Labs
- Antti Poikola's List: Public sector data catalogues
Data catalog software implementations
Open-source software for running data catalogs—they could implement dcat