W3C logo Web Accessibility Initiative (WAI) logo

WAI UA Telecon for December 21th, 2000

Chair: Jon Gunderson
Date: Thursday, 21 December 2000
Time: 2:00 pm to 4:00 pm Eastern Standard Time, USA
Call-in: Longfellow Bridge (+1) (617) 252-1038


Review Action Items


  1. Next User Agent face-to-face meeting in Boston on 1-2 March 2001


  1. Update on glossary group formed in WCAG
  2. Update on joint meeting with DOM working group
  3. Update on joint meeting with CSS working group
  4. Issue #415: Definition of active element: too broad (checkpoint 7.4)
  5. Issue #416: Add requirement: To select text with the keyboard?
  6. Issue #417: Checkpoint 7.5: Add to min reqs to not start searching from beginning without alert
  7. Issue #418: Checkpoint 7.5: Search should include alt text.
  8. Issue #419: Checkpoint 8.3: Recommend removing font as minimal requirement
  9. Issue #420: Checkpoint 8.3: Add config requirement to prompt for confirmation when activating a fee link
  10. Issue #421: Checkpoint 8.6: Clarification about intent required.
  11. Issue #422: Checkpoint 8.8: Clarification of usage of terms active element/focus + techniques
  12. Issue #423: Checkpoint 9.3: Need min requirement for how/where conf information presented.
  13. Issue #424: Checkpoint 9.3: Do author-specified shortcuts include active elements that take mouse input?
  14. Issue #425: Checkoint 9.5: Need to emphasize more why different from 9.4
  15. Issue #426: Checkpoint 9.8: Clarify that brief sequences satisfy this checkpoint
  16. Issue #427: Checkpoint 10.1: HTML is not only accessible format
  17. Issue #428: Checkpoint 10.5: Add requirement that changes that affect accessibility be part of dedicated documentation (10.4)
  18. Issue #429: New requirement: documentation of API for querying preferences.
  19. Issue #430: Checkpoint 3.2: Animations, not just animated images


Chair: Jon Gunderson

Scribe: Ian Jacobs

Kitch Barnicle
David Poehlman
Eric Hansen
Mickey Quenzer

Jim Allan
Gregory Rosmatia
Harvey Bingham

Action Item Summary

Open Action Items

  1. WG: look for user agents that implement mouse events like mouse over with the keyboard.
  2. IJ: Follow up with Greg Lowney on issue 389
  3. IJ: (Issue 387) Propose new wording for check point 8.4 reflecting discussion on 28 November
  4. IJ: Ask Jason White for CSS implementation information for emacspeak
  5. IJ: Publish new implementation report for the meeting
  6. IJ: Improve wording of note for 4.14 related to CSS reference
  7. IJ, EH, AG: Propose new definitions forterms in question (equivalence, text element, etc.)
  8. IJ: Draft new language for 6.2
  9. IJ: Get wording from Martin for thisrequirement (e.g., "conform", "implement", etc.) for issue 327
  10. IJ: Propose new checkpoints to see how it feels to harmonize the requirements related to comments in issue 348.
  11. IJ: Propose new checkpoints/modifiedcheckpoints for 8.2.
  12. IJ: Add some more explanation about the difference between 7.3 and7.4.
  13. IJ: Proposed fixed wording for 7.5
  14. IJ: Add to techniques a link to Adobe's accessible PDF information.
  15. IJ and AG: Revise the applicability provision and send to WG.
  16. IJ: Ask Adobe why this is hard (issue 382)
  17. IJ: 1.4 needs to be re-written in light of changes in checkpoint 1.1.
  18. IJ: Proposed text in 2.1
  19. IJ: Add a note to 5.8 - content requirements may also apply to user interface
  20. IJ: Mention that resizing and overiding absolute values is part of some specification in section 1.2
  21. IJ: Clarify the meaning of system colors
  22. IJ:
    a) clarify "recognize style" in checkpoints 4.5
    b) need more rational - refer to WCAG - style less important than other content
    c) add note 4.5 - give example of multimedia content that can be recognized as style
  23. IJ: Add technique to checkpoint 4.12 to make clear that:
    - This includes author-override if speech engine allows.
    - This includes whatever granularity offered by speech engine.
  24. IJ: Add a clarifying note to 4.11 that if you allow independent control of all sources of audio, you satisfy the checkpoint as well.
  25. IJ: Add a P3 checkpoint on user control of windows that automatically close
  26. IJ: Add a clarification to checkpoint 4.20 including:
  27. IJ: Delete second sentence from 4.21
  28. IJ: Add to end of first sentence "with which it overlaps" in checkpoint 4.21
  29. IJ: Add "that benefit accessibility" to end of second sentence of checkpoint 5.8
  30. JG: Implementation information for guideline 2
  31. JG: Propose a list of things we areexpecting UAs to recognize in scripts.
  32. JG: Schedule face-to-face time with other WGs
  33. JG: Propose text for the techniques document about synthesized speech implementation issues. Notably UA and AT wanting to use the same synthesizer engine.
  34. JG: Contact Greg Lowney and ask for a counter-proposal about minimal requirement. for checkpoint 7.3
  35. GR: Review checkpoints in Guideline 10 for implementation information
  36. GR: Talk to Håkon about CSS support.
  37. GR: Talk to AFB about captioning and positioning
  38. JA: Review checkpoints in Guideline 4 for implementation information
  39. MQ: Send more details about control of speech parameters for the techniques document based on OpenBook.
  40. KB: Submit technique on providing information on current item and number of items in search

New Action Items

  1. IJ: Put a note in the definition of active element that this does not include selection. (optional clarification note)
  2. IJ: Include selection and focus in note after 1.1 as examples of what must be done.
  3. IJ: Evaluate whether silent or invisible rendering has an impact on checkpoints other than 7.5 (search).
  4. JG: Propose resolution of issue 421

Completed Action Items

  1. AG: Send a reply to Phill related to issue 362
  2. JG: Talk to Cindy King about captioning
  3. JG: Contact Greg Lowney and ask for a counter-proposal about minimal requirement. for checkpoint 7.3
  4. JG: Schedule face-to-face time with other WGs
    Result: Seems like there will be a short meeting with both, maybe longer with both. We need to prepare an agenda.

Link to Minutes

Copyright  ©  2000 W3C (MIT, INRIA, Keio ), All Rights Reserved. W3C liability, trademark, document use and software licensing rules apply. Your interactions with this site are in accordance with our public and Member privacy statements.