W3C logo Web Accessibility Initiative (WAI) logo

WAI UA Telecon for December 14th, 2000

Chair: Jon Gunderson
Date: Thursday, 14 December 2000
Time: 2:00 pm to 4:00 pm Eastern Standard Time, USA
Call-in: Longfellow Bridge (+1) (617) 252-1038


Review Action Items


  1. Next User Agent face-to-face meeting in Boston on 1-2 March 2001
  2. W3C representatives respond to WAI charters and proposal
  3. Glosary group formed in WCAG


  1. Issue #405: Checkpoint 4.17: Need stronger requirement to distinguish selection/focus
  2. Issue #406: Checkpoint 4.18: Lower to Priority 3
  3. Issue #407: Checkpoint 4.20: Include requirement to control automatic closing of viewports
  4. Issue #408: Checkpoint 4.20: Allow configuration to prompt to open, not force manual open.
  5. Issue #409: Checkpoint 4.20: If frames are not opened, what is result?
  6. Issue #410: Checkpoint 4.21: Is this redundant to 4.20?
  7. Issue #411: Checkpoint 4.21: Not just for GUIs but for any interface with overlapping viewports
  8. Issue #412: Checkpoint 5.8: Editorial association between first and second sentences.
  9. Issue #413: Checkpoint 6.2: Does this only apply to content?
  10. Issue #414: Checkpoint 7.3: Need stronger min requirements


Chair: Jon Gunderson

Scribe: Ian Jacobs

David Poehlman
Eric Hansen
Harvey Bingham
Mickey Quenzer
Gregory Rosmatia
Jim Allan
Rich Schwerdtfeger
Tim Lacy

Kitch Barnicle

Action Item Summary

Open Action Items

  1. WG: look for user agents that implement mouse events like mouse over with the keyboard.
  2. IJ: Follow up with Greg Lowney on issue 389
  3. IJ: (Issue 387) Propose new wording for check point 8.4 reflecting discussion on 28 November
  4. IJ: Ask Jason White for CSS implementation information for emacspeak
  5. IJ: Publish new implementation report for the meeting
  6. IJ: Improve wording of note for 4.14 related to CSS reference
  7. IJ, EH, AG: Propose new definitions forterms in question (equivalence, text element, etc.)
  8. IJ: Draft new language for 6.2
  9. IJ: Get wording from Martin for thisrequirement (e.g., "conform", "implement", etc.) for issue 327
  10. IJ: Propose new checkpoints to see how it feels to harmonize the requirements related to comments in issue 348.
  11. IJ: Propose new checkpoints/modifiedcheckpoints for 8.2.
  12. IJ: Add some more explanation about the difference between 7.3 and7.4.
  13. IJ: Proposed fixed wording for 7.5
  14. IJ: Add to techniques a link to Adobe's accessible PDF information.
  15. IJ and AG: Revise the applicability provision and send to WG.
  16. IJ: Ask Adobe why this is hard (issue 382)
  17. IJ: 1.4 needs to be re-written in light of changes in checkpoint 1.1.
  18. IJ: Proposed text in 2.1
  19. IJ: Add a note to 5.8 - content requirements may also apply to user interface
  20. IJ: Mention that resizing and overiding absolute values is part of some specification in section 1.2
  21. IJ: Clarify the meaning of system colors
  22. IJ:
    a) clarify "recognize style" in checkpoints 4.5
    b) need more rational - refer to WCAG - style less important than other content
    c) add note 4.5 - give example of multimedia content that can be recognized as style
  23. IJ: Add technique to checkpoint 4.12 to make clear that:
    - This includes author-override if speech engine allows.
    - This includes whatever granularity offered by speech engine.
  24. IJ: Add a clarifying note to 4.11 that if you allow independent control of all sources of audio, you satisfy the checkpoint as well.
  25. JG: Implementation information for guideline 2
  26. JG: Propose a list of things we areexpecting UAs to recognize in scripts.
  27. JG: Schedule face-to-face time with other WGs
  28. JG: Talk to Cindy King about captioning
  29. JG: Propose text for the techniques document about synthesized speech implementation issues. Notably UA and AT wanting to use the same synthesizer engine.
  30. AG: Send a reply to Phill related to issue 362
  31. GR: Review checkpoints in Guideline 10 for implementation information
  32. GR: Talk to Håkon about CSS support.
  33. GR: Talk to AFB about captioning and positioning
  34. JA: Review checkpoints in Guideline 4 for implementation information
  35. MQ: Send more details about control of speech parameters for the techniques document based on OpenBook.
  36. KB: Submit technique on providing information on current item and number of items in search

New Action Items

  1. IJ: Add a P3 checkpoint on user control of windows that automatically close
  2. IJ: Add a clarification to checkpoint 4.20 including:
  3. IJ: Delete second sentence from 4.21
  4. IJ: Add to end of first sentence "with which it overlaps" in checkpoint 4.21
  5. IJ: Add "that benefit accessibility" to end of second sentence of checkpoint 5.8
  6. JG: Contact Greg Lowney and ask for a counter-proposal about minimal requirement. for checkpoint 7.3

Completed Action Items

  1. JA: Review SMIL players to find out which ones support positioning of captions.
  2. JG: Write a proposal to the WG this week for a checkpoint about discerning focus from selection all the time

Link to Minutes

Copyright  ©  2000 W3C (MIT, INRIA, Keio ), All Rights Reserved. W3C liability, trademark, document use and software licensing rules apply. Your interactions with this site are in accordance with our public and Member privacy statements.