W3C logo Web Accessibility Initiative (WAI) logo

WAI UA Telecon for December 7th, 2000

Chair: Jon Gunderson
Date: Thursday, 7 December
Time: 2:00 pm to 4:00 pm Eastern Standard Time, USA
Call-in: Longfellow Bridge (+1) (617) 252-1038


Review Action Items


  1. Next User Agent face-to-face meeting in Boston on 1-2 March 2001


  1. Joint meetings with other WAI working groups at our next FTF in March
  2. Issues list changes related to additional last call comments
  3. Issue #399: Checkpoint 4.7: Implementation experience for this?
  4. Issue #400: Checkpoint 4.11: Why limited to sources synchronized to play simultanously?
  5. Issue #401: Checkpoint 4.12: Split checkpoint with minreqs in a separate
  6. Issue #402: Checkpoint 4.12: Problem with incremental change (e.g., for one wpm case)
  7. Issue #403: Checkpoint 4.12: Need to require override of author-specified speeds.
  8. Issue #404: Checkpoint 4.16 (4.17, 8.2): Font requirement implies big performance hit, reflow.
  9. Issue #405: Checkpoint 4.17: Need stronger requirement to distinguish selection/focus
  10. Issue #406: Checkpoint 4.18: Lower to Priority 3
  11. Issue #407: Checkpoint 4.20: Include requirement to control automatic closing of viewports
  12. Issue #408: Checkpoint 4.20: Allow configuration to prompt to open, not force manual open.
  13. Issue #409: Checkpoint 4.20: If frames are not opened, what is result?
  14. Issue #410: Checkpoint 4.21: Is this redundant to 4.20?


Chair: Jon Gunderson

Scribe: Ian Jacobs

David Poehlman
Eric Hansen
Mickey Quezner
Charles McCathieNevile
Tim Lacy
Jim Allan
Gregory Rosmaita

Kitch Barnicle
Harvey Bingham

Action Item Summary

Open Action Items

  1. WG: look for user agents that implement mouse events like mouse over with the keyboard.
  2. IJ: Follow up with Greg Lowney on issue 389
  3. IJ: (Issue 387) Propose new wording for check point 8.4 reflecting discussion on 28 November
  4. IJ: Ask Jason White for CSS implementation information for emacspeak
  5. IJ: Publish new implementation report for the meeting
  6. IJ: Improve wording of note for 4.14 related to CSS reference
  7. IJ, EH, AG: Propose new definitions forterms in question (equivalence, text element, etc.)
  8. IJ: Draft new language for 6.2
  9. IJ: Get wording from Martin for thisrequirement (e.g., "conform", "implement", etc.) for issue 327
  10. IJ: Propose new checkpoints to see how it feels to harmonize the requirements related to comments in issue 348.
  11. IJ: Propose new checkpoints/modifiedcheckpoints for 8.2.
  12. IJ: Add some more explanation about the difference between 7.3 and7.4.
  13. IJ: Proposed fixed wording for 7.5
  14. IJ: Add to techniques a link to Adobe's accessible PDF information.
  15. IJ and AG: Revise the applicability provision and send to WG.
  16. IJ: Ask Adobe why this is hard (issue 382)
  17. IJ: 1.4 needs to be re-written in light of changes in checkpoint 1.1.
  18. IJ: Proposed text in 2.1
  19. IJ: Add a note to 5.8 - content requirements may also apply to user interface
  20. IJ: Mention that resizing and overiding absolute values is part of some specification in section 1.2
  21. IJ: Clarify the meaning of system colors
  22. IJ:
    a) clarify "recognize style" in checkpoints 4.5
    b) need more rational - refer to WCAG - style less important than other content
    c) add note 4.5 - give example of multimedia content that can be recognized as style
  23. JG: Implementation information for guideline 2
  24. JG: Propose a list of things we areexpecting UAs to recognize in scripts.
  25. AG: Send a reply to Phill related to issue 362
  26. GR: Review checkpoints in Guideline 10 for implementation information
  27. GR: Talk to Håkon about CSS support.
  28. MQ: Send more details about control of speech parameters for the techniques document based on OpenBook.
  29. KB: Submit technique on providing information on current item and number of items in search
  30. JA: Review checkpoints in Guideline 4 for implementation information

New Action Items

  1. IJ: Add technique to checkpoint 4.12 to make clear that:
    - This includes author-override if speech engine allows.
    - This includes whatever granularity offered by speech engine.
  2. JG: Schedule face-to-face time with other WGs
  3. JG: Talk to Cindy King about captioning
  4. JG: Propose text for the techniques document about synthesized speech implementation issues. Notably UA and AT wanting to use the same synthesizer engine.
  5. JG: Write a proposal to the WG this week for a checkpoint about discerning focus from selection all the time
  6. JA: Review SMIL players to find out which ones support positioning of captions.
  7. GR: Talk to AFB about captioning and positioning
  8. IJ: Add a clarifying note to 4.11 that if you allow independent control of all sources of audio, you satisfy the checkpoint as well.

Completed Action Items

  1. IJ: Talk to the Director about DOM 2 proposal discussed at FTF meeting
  2. CMN: Send a proposed definition of equivalent to the group
  3. JG: Ask PF people, especially Rich, about user agents that implement mouse events like mouse over with the keyboard next week at ER-PF FTF.

Link to Minutes

Copyright  ©  2000 W3C (MIT, INRIA, Keio ), All Rights Reserved. W3C liability, trademark, document use and software licensing rules apply. Your interactions with this site are in accordance with our public and Member privacy statements.