W3C logo Web Accessibility Initiative (WAI) logo

WAI UA Telecon for July 27th, 2000

Chair: Jon Gunderson
Date: Thursday, 27 July
Time: 2:00 pm to 4:00 pm Eastern Standard Time, USA
Call-in: Longfellow Bridge (+1) (617) 252-1038


Review Action Items


Need a scribe for next week telecon?


  1. Issue 257: Proposed checkpoint 10.4
  2. Issue 257: Use the same set of functions in 10.4 as the minimal set of functions in checkpoint 10.5 and make 10.5 only about the keyboard
  3. Issue 308: Definition of "single command"
  4. Issue 290: Understanding the phrase "turn on/off"
  5. Issue 287: Proposed clarification to checkpoints 3.3, 3.5, 3.6 (on/off video, blink, etc.) [note: part of issue 290]
  6. Issue 291: Checkpoint 4.16: A Guidelines conflict: All content versus Limited Viewports
  7. Issue 292: Review list of speech synthesizer characteristics (checkpoint 4.11)
  8. Issue 293: Is the UA responsible for control of timed presentations created by scripts?
  9. Issue 295: Repair functionalities required / relationship to conformance to other specs.
  10. Issue 296: Proposed to add "control" to checkpoints 4.2 (font family), and 4.3/4.4 (colors).
  11. Issue 297: Style v. content and background sounds.
  12. Issue 298: Navigation of active elements / some elements inactive at times.
  13. Issue 299: Definitive list of important elements for known markup languages?
  14. Issue 300: Proposed edits to checkpoints about link information (8.6, 8.7)
  15. Issue 301: Clarification about meaning of checkpoint 8.8 (focus / selection)
  16. Issue 302: Definition of "recognize" needs review.
  17. Issue 303: For those checkpoints which talk about sets of elements, provide definitive set for html?
  18. Issue 304: Change percentage back to proportion.
  19. Issue 305: What is definition of "stalled"
  20. Issue 306: Does requirement for relative position of a viewport include horizontal position?
  21. Issue 307: General advice about implementation of optional features of a specification.
  22. Issue 257: Other minimal requirements part of issue PR#257 (No proposals)
  23. Issue 294: Native support and downloadable modules


Chair: Jon Gunderson

Scribe:Ian Jacobs

David Poehlman
Mickey Quenzer
Harvey Bingham
Gregory Rosmaita
Kitch Barnicle
Tim Lacy
Eric Hansen
Dick Brown





  1. Resolved 10.4: Minimal requirement is the user to override default input bindings, default command bindings need to include a minimal set of functions (applicability applies), do not need to allow override of system keyboard bindings, and for keyboard bindings must provide modifiers and a single key or better
  2. Resolved 10.5: Same as 10.4, but only about the keyboard and require a single keypress, number of keys available for single key must be most.
  3. Resolved Issue 308: Based on resolution of 10.4 and 10.5 we do not used this term
  4. Resolved Issue 290: Understanding the phrase "turn on/off" and Issue 287: Proposed clarification to checkpoints 3.3, 3.5, 3.6 (on/off video, blink, etc.):
    Guideline 3 is about global configuration of rendering a type of content on load and Guideline 4 is about control of things that are rendered
  5. Resolved Issue 296: Proposed to add "control" to checkpoints 4.2 (font family), and 4.3/4.4 (colors).
    Do not need "control" for 4.2 and 4.3/4.4, configuration is sufficient
    Global changing for all elements, do not need to allow element by element control
    Control and configuration is needed for font size
    For 4.13, 4.14, 8.2 and 8.3 need to add explicit requirements for configuratio of font family, font size and colors.
  6. Resolved Issue 297: Style v. content and background sounds.
    Add checkpoint for sound played on load for next working draft in guideline 3

Open Action Items

  1. IJ: Draft a preliminary executive summary/mini-FAQ for developers. (No deadline.)
  2. IJ: Add to note on checkpoint 8.1 the important cases that this checkpoint must provide information through the user interface
  3. IJ: Update document with resolutions from 7/13/00 telecon
  4. IJ: Check usage of multi-media in document
  5. GR: Re-examine the orientation checkpoints and see whether they can be clarified to account for control of rendering of audio (and possibly other content) on load.
  6. HB: Review note for checkpoint 8.1

New Action Items

  1. HB: Reviewing glossaries of three guidelines

Completed Action Items

  1. IJ: Formalize distinctions between "one step" and "one command" defnitions , including better terminology for single key and single key with modifier
  2. IJ: Repropose 10.4 based on today's telecon http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2000JulSep/0135.html
  3. IJ and EH: Propose definitions for what "presentation" and content means
  4. EH: Send comments on definitions of "primary content" to the list for consideration by the group

Link to Minutes

Copyright  ©  2000 W3C (MIT, INRIA, Keio ), All Rights Reserved. W3C liability, trademark, document use and software licensing rules apply. Your interactions with this site are in accordance with our public and Member privacy statements.