W3C logo Web Accessibility Initiative (WAI) logo

WAI UA Telecon for July 20th, 2000

Chair: Jon Gunderson
Date: Thursday, 20 July
Time: 2:00 pm to 3:30 pm Eastern Standard Time, USA
Call-in: Longfellow Bridge (+1) (617) 252-1038


Review Action Items


Additional UA telecon scheduled for Monday, 24 July 2000 at 2:00 for 90 minutes


  1. 1.Issue 289: Multimedia definitions.

  2. Issue 257: Minimum requirement for Checkpoints 2.7: For author-identified but unsupported natural languages, allow the user to configure the user agent to identify those language changes in content. [Priority 3]
  3. Issue 257: Minimum requirement for Checkpoints 8.2 and 8.3: Distinguishing link checkpoints
  4. Issue 257: Clearer definition of the term "Easy access" in checkpoint 2.3
  5. Issue 257: Clearer definition of the term "Easy access" in checkpoint 10.8
  6. Issue 257: Minimum requirement for checkpoint 4.13: Allow the user to configure how the selection is highlighted (e.g., foreground and background color). [Priority 1]
  7. Issue 257: Minimum requirement for checkpoint 4.14: Allow the user to configure how the content focus is highlighted (e.g., foreground and background color). [Priority 1]
  8. Issue 257: Minimum requirement for checkpoint 10.4: Allow the user to change the input configuration. [Priority 2]
  9. Issue 290: Understanding the phrase "turn on/off"
  10. Issue 287: Proposed clarification to checkpoints 3.3, 3.5, 3.6 (on/off video, blink, etc.) [note: part of issue 290]
  11. Issue 291: Checkpoint 4.16: A Guidelines conflict: All content versus Limited Viewports
  12. Issue 292: Review list of speech synthesizer characteristics (checkpoint 4.11)
  13. PR#293: Is the UA responsible for control of timed presentationscreated by scripts?
  14. PR#295: Repair functionalities required / relationship to conformance to other specs.
  15. PR#296: Proposed to add "control" to checkpoints 4.2 (font family), and 4.3/4.4 (colors).
  16. PR#297: Style v. content and background sounds.
  17. PR#298: Navigation of active elements / some elements inactive at times.
  18. PR#299: Definitive list of important elements for known markup languages?
  19. PR#300: Proposed edits to checkpoints about link information (8.6, 8.7)
  20. PR#301: Clarification about meaning of checkpoint 8.8 (focus / selection)
  21. PR#302: Definition of "recognize" needs review.
  22. PR#303: For those checkpoints which talk about sets of elements, provide definitive set for html?
  23. PR#304: Change percentage back to proportion.
  24. PR#305: What is definition of "stalled"
  25. PR#306: Does requirement for relative position of a viewport include horizontalposition?
  26. PR#307: General advice about implementation of optional features of a specification.
  27. Issue 257: Other minimal requirements part of issue PR#257 (No proposals)
  28. PR#294: Native support and downloadable modules


Chair: Jon Gunderson

Scribe:Ian Jacobs and Kitch Barnicle

David Poehlman
Harvey Bingham
Kitch Barnicle
Charles McCathieNevile
Mickey Quenzer
Tim Lacy
Eric Hansen
Gregory Rosmaita
Dick Brown

Jim Allan
Mark Novak



  1. Issue 289: Accepted resolution for definitions of audio, video and multi-media proposed by EH. IJ will update document for consistent use.
  2. Issue 257: For checkpoints 4.13, 4.14, 8.2, 8.3 add cross links to checkpoints 4.1, 4.2, 4.3 and 4.4 and require one additional styling for these checkpoints.
    Note: Styling changes for selection need to occur after the completion of the selection operation to not interfer with pointer based selection of information.
  3. Issue 257: New wording for checkpoint 2.3: "If content available in a viewport has equivalent alternatives, provide access to the alternative equivalents by either substituting the alternative equivalent for the primary content, rendering the alternative as part of the primary content (both at the same time) or providing one step access to the alternative equivalent from the primary content."
  4. Issue 257: Accept wording for checkpoint 10.8: "Ensure that the default input configuration allows one step activation of frequently used functionalities. " and use list of functions given for 10.5 as the list of frequently used functions
  5. Issue 257: Accept changes to checkpoint 2.7 proposed by Ian

Open Action Items

  1. IJ: Draft a preliminary executive summary/mini-FAQ for developers. (No deadline.)
  2. IJ: Add to note on checkpoint 8.1 the important cases that this checkpoint must provide information through the user interface
  3. IJ: Update document with resolutions from 7/13/00 telecon
  4. EH: Send comments on definitions of "primary content" to the list for consideration by the group
  5. GR: Re-examine the orientation checkpoints and see whether they can be clarified to account for control of rendering of audio (and possibly other content) on load.
  6. HB: Review note for checkpoint 8.1

New Action Items

  1. IJ: Check usage of multi-media in document
  2. IJ and EH: Propose definitions for what "presentation" and content means
  3. IJ: Formalize distinctions between "one step" and "one command" defnitions
  4. KB: Propose ???

Completed Action Items

  1. IJ: Send counter proposal to identify unsupported language changes

Link to Minutes

Copyright  ©  2000 W3C (MIT, INRIA, Keio ), All Rights Reserved. W3C liability, trademark, document use and software licensing rules apply. Your interactions with this site are in accordance with our public and Member privacy statements.