W3C logo Web Accessibility Initiative (WAI) logo

WAI UA Telecon for June 16th, 1999

Chair: Jon Gunderson
Date: Wednesday, June 16th
Time: 12:00 noon to 1:30 pm Eastern Standard Time
Call-in: W3C Tobin Bridge (+1) 617-252-7000


Review working group proposed charter

Review guidelines working draft

Review techniques working draft

Issues Discusssion

Techniques Document Development


Chair: Jon Gunderson

Scribe: Ian Jacobs

Present: Marja Koivunen

Charles McCathieNevile
Rich Schwardtfeger
Glen Gordon

Regrets:Harvey Bingham
Mark Novak
Jim Allan

Completed Action Items

Continued Action Items

New Action Items





1) Review of Action items

CMN: Write techniques for 7.2.2 and 7.2.6 CMN deferred until publication of

Note by Rich and Mark. Status: Will wait for new draft. Status: Continued

JG: Techniques for 7.2.2. Status: In progress. Status: Continued

IJ: Implement proposal to simplify the guidelines, separate techniques from checkpoints, make checkpoints more global, move technichy checkpoints to technique document. Status: Done in 11 June draft.

IJ: Include specific navigation checkpoints for the following elements: forms, form controls, tables, in next draft. Status: Done in 11 June draft.

IJ: Include checkpoint: Scripting events should be part of navigating to active content checkpoint Status: Done in 11 June draft.

IJ: Include checkpoint: Allow user to configure elements that are part of active contents Status: Done in 11 June draft.

IJ: Include checkpoint: Allow user to simulate event activator that an element could respond to Status: Not done.

IJ: Include checkpoint: Orient user to events an element can respond to Status: Not done.

IJ: Include checkpoint: Allow user to navigate to elements that can respond to events Status: Done in 11 June draft.

IJ: Include checkpoint:: Add checkpoint: turn on/off access key at priority 2 level Status: Not done.

IJ: Poste message to begin discussiion of fotification of scripting events. Two main issues to be discussed: 1) What requirements on browser for notification of changes to AT? 2) What required of AT to make these changes known? Status: Done

JG:: Send URL of new charter to group. Status: Done

2) Review of charter [1] [1] http://www.w3.org/WAI/UA/wai-ua-charter.html

CMN, IJ, JG, RS: Charter looks ok.

/* Some discussion of dependencies on other WGs*/

3) Discussion of new draft.

a) Three levels of conformance. Consensus: Good thing.

b) IJ: Should keyboard be brought out as its own guideline?

RS: Yes. Have other ones cross-reference it.

IJ: The slice "keyboard access" exists in techniques doc.

CMN: I prefer in techniques doc too.

GG: I agree with Rich. So many people go out of the way to avoid keyboard input, the more places people have it under their noses, the better.

ACTION: Ian: Create a keyboard guideline for the next draft to try it out.

Proposed (Rich) additional checkpoints: a) Be consistent with keyboard bindings between releases of software.

IJ: Should this be more general? Consistency across versions?

JG: Two-edged sword - keep the good stuff, drop the bad stuff.

CMN: I think good in general for consistency, sometimes changes need to be made.

IJ: Avoid arbitrary changes.

GG: If you make changes, provide a compatibility mode.

RS: Tell people to take care when changing default bindings.

CMN: Call this out in "observe system conventions"

RS: Yes, and cross reference this from keyboard guideline.

Proposed: General consistency guideline (Priority 2).

CMN: I think this is part of the existing guideline 11. Calling out keyboard access is more important.

ACTION: Ian propose to two options to list

/* Ian explains navigation as technique for accessing information */

7.2 (restore point of regard).

RS: Restore focus as well.

RS: Do people always want to return to where they were?

IJ: Do you return to the anchor? What if you scroll down two pages?

IJ: If you have no focus, where do you return to?

RS: I think return to point of focus.

CMN: Lynx:

RS: Ok with current wording of 7.2

7.3 (table cell info)

GG: What must desktop browsers do to work with this?

JG: See checkpoint 11.4

Proposal: Combine 7.4 and 7.5. "Allow the user to navigate among active elements.

Proposal: Allow the user to navigate among all elements.

CMN: Isn't this 7.8 (doc tree) or part of it? I think 7.8 is more important. (CMN's action item in fact is to write about 7.8)


IJ: Rendered content only or all?

Consensus: Search on rendering structure is minimum requirement.

IJ: What about attribute names and/or values?

CMN: cool, but no higher than P3. Very useful when attribute specifies alternative content.

MK: May be cases when author gives semantics to key words.


  • No consensus about scope of searching (e.g., attribute values for alt text)
  • No consensus about navigating "all elements".
  • ACTION: Ian will propose some changes to this section.

    Copyright  ©  1999 W3C (MIT, INRIA, Keio ), All Rights Reserved. W3C liability, trademark, document use and software licensing rules apply. Your interactions with this site are in accordance with our public and Member privacy statements.