This Wiki page is edited by participants of the Protocols and Formats Working Group. It does not necessarily represent consensus and it may have incorrect information or information that is not supported by other Working Group participants, WAI, or W3C. It may also have some very useful information.
CSS discussion points
- What is meaning of CSS WG priorities with respect to what gets worked on when?
- When display order is different from source code order, how to control in a way useful and known by users [Flexbox and other layout modules, floats, absolute positioning]:
- Focus (tab) order
- Flow (reading) order
- Reliance on user style sheets as the way to fix problems with author styling not feasible: users don’t know how to, not doable when selectors using class/id/etc. Need a way for users to express preferences to the styling engine that works.
- Need a way for users to pause / stop animations / marquee, or to set a UA preference to disable altogether. Also need a script interface for this.
- Can elements be in mid transition / animation while user is directly interacting with it?
- Animations and transitions need a warning about WCAG SC 2.3.1 http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20/#seizure-does-not-violate not to cause seizures with animation.
- Some of the layout modules [e.g., grid layout, …] have limits of flexibility. Is media queries the expected and only solution available, or should we explore additions to those specs.
- If using table layout module to achieve columns, what is the accessibility impact?
- Can font size be part of a media query?
- Exploration of base font size and issues, may be solved, may need more work…
- Generated content may have difficulties with providing fallbacks, and appropriate separation of content from presentation, but we’re not sure if that’s a spec issue or something to solve in other places
- List numbering / style doesn’t always get read, set in DOM
- What are envisioned features of the Positioning module (no draft found)? We’ll care a lot. We could help with requirements definition.
- Multi-column layout is highly useful and accessibility positive feature, but appears to work only in paged media. Very much need to define a way to work in continuous media.
- Need better CSS styles for forms, so authors don’t do crazy work-arounds to get widgets they want.
- Basic UI allows specifying image as mouse cursor, but doesn’t have mechanisms to deal with resolution variations, high contrast mode, scaled cursors, etc.
- Basic box should have a note about display:none and visibility:hidden that they hide from all, including AT.
- What happens to tab order in a page layout? Is there one, or is it only meaningful to output to a print device? Basically, what is representation into an on-screen viewport of a page layout?
- How does table layout algorithm impact clipping, text size changes, zoom?