| Mobile Code
Evaluation with respect to Distributed Hypermedia Applications Development Issues:
- Runtime Safety
- Yes, with runtime typechecks
- System Safety
- No working implementation, as far as I know, but the design of
guile seems to acomodate this feature. Needs more study.
- Cross-Platform GUI API
- Tk is being ported to the Mac and Windows platforms, but it's not
clear to me that the interface won't change in the process. They may
end up with a portable GUI interface, but I expect that the existing
code base will need to be tweaked at least a little for the non-X
- Type system
- Module System
- Yes. Kinda like Dylan.
- conditions, errors, ala scheme
- based on SCM. Kinda messy. Conservative GC.
- TCP/IP API
- Mobile Closures
- No. I don't think the heap is instrumented enough to pickle
Licensing and other Intellectual Property Rights Issues
In order to compete with Tcl, guile is NOT covered by the GPL.
I'm not exactly sure what the terms are, but they're similar to
X/Berkeley/MIT, I think.