Browser Extension CG teleconf

06 Oct 2016


See also: IRC log


mikepie, Florian, kmag


<scribe> ScribeNick: Florian

<kmag> mikepie: Are you having trouble joining the hangout?

<mikepie> Yeah. I have to reinstall Chrome. Sorry

<kmag> Heh

<mikepie> Almost there...


Florian: Anything else to add to the agenda?

kmag: I'd like to talk about standardizing IDs.

mikepie: let's talk about extended attributes as well

extended attribute

mikepie: we have some direct contacts what should help get the ball rolling by lightly prodding the right people.

Joint statement on native messaging


Florian: This is a first incomplete draft of the join statement we mentioned during TPAC

kmag: I am not sure this is really necessary

Florian: Not sure either, but I think it's not wrong to ping people who worry about the whole web platform if we're doing something that might matter to more than to just ourselves

mikepie: looks like a good start, will ping people at MS
... what do we do once we have this?

Florian: I'll ping the TAG and see what they think of it

Status update on https://browserext.github.io/native-messaging/

Florian: Anything to speak about without aswan on the call

mikepie: not really

standardizing IDs

Florian: Have we though about using URLs (as in including a domain name in there) for IDs? You'd still have to map the ID to the application, but at least we'd get a clean space without too much colision problems

kmag: we'd need a way to verify you own the domain, and some way to associate the ID with the application... Seems complicated
... Maybe we could instead share our ID database from the respective vendor stores
... and allow registration on each store, but stores would check with the other stores that the ID is free

Florian: doesn't that lock us out of native messaging when not using app stores for distribution? Like private extensions, or enterprise distribution

kmag: I think it's ok. Enterprise works with its own rules anyway, and the single developer use case doesn't really involve distribution, so it is ok.

mikepie: how about having 2 ids? a shared one that is unique across stores and one that is unique in your own store?
... I guess that doesn't help

Florian: Has our various companies already solved a similar problem, and can we talk to the people who did that?

mikepie: there's globaly unique, which deals with avoiding collisions, but it doesn't help with central registration
... how about : when I submit to the FF store, and it generates a unique ID for me. Then I use that ID to register in the MS store

Florian: but that allows for spoofing

kmag: only if the end user can do it, so we shouldn't allow

mikepie: Can we combine that with the domain name id?

kmag: I don't see how

Florian: Should we ping crypto / security / ssl / ssh / etc people? They should be more familiar than us with this kind of issues

mikepie: Let's do that, I know some folks.



<mikepie> https://mikepie1.github.io/browserext-1/LogoIdeas.png

mikepie: number 2 is unfinished, it will read ext instead of cxt
... 1 and 6 may not work at small sizes

Florian I like 2 4 and 8

mikepie: 4 looks like XML

kmag: I like 4 5 and 8

mikepie: I'll clean up 2 4 5 and 8

kmag: I'll also try to involve our designers.

Reviewing / resolving issues in https://browserext.github.io/browserext/

<mikepie> https://mikepie1.github.io/browserext-1/

Florian: Any particular issue you want feedback / discussion on?

mikepie: not sure, let's just start with giving you an update
... I merged webdriver
... I do have a question about something needing to be a POST instead of a GET
... I also changed the naming convension, so that everything starts with BrowserExt, and unified Info/etc into Details
... I added a script to facilitate navigating through issues.
... so the thing I want input on is Issue 35

kmag: there are two methods that need to be POST, because they have side effects:

<mikepie> Get Browser Extension Context Menu Items

<mikepie> Select Browser Extension Context Menu Item

mikepie: I'll be doing a new iteration on this tomorrow, and then the section should be ready for review

Florian: Skipping the issues that are TODOs to yourself, it would be nice to register the issue that need discussions into github

mikepie: Will do

kmag: should we provide regex for comment removal?
... I'll register than into github, OK?

mikepie: Sounds good.

Community involvement

Florian: A while back we talked about trying to reach out to more people and try to get them involved, to comment on the spec
... As we're starting to have a spec with issues to discuss, are we at that point, or would it still be a waste of time for most people to come at this point

mikepie: I'd like to look at some usage data to check first that we have the key APIs that people will want to look at to avoid disapointing them, but other than that yes, we should be able to now
... I can look for extension vendors that can already use the stuff we have
... If andrey had some specific vendors in mind, that let's us look at it from the other direction and ask them what they think is missing.


mikepie: Let's try in two weeks

Florian: Should we try and adjust the time for aswan?

mikepie: Yes, and for Shwetank as well

Florian: Let's book the same time for now, and in parallel try and talk to them. We can adjust if they propose something that works better.

Summary of Action Items

Summary of Resolutions

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.144 (CVS log)
$Date: 2016/10/06 02:28:35 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.144  of Date: 2015/11/17 08:39:34  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Found ScribeNick: Florian
Inferring Scribes: Florian
Present: mikepie Florian kmag
Agenda: https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-browserext/2016Oct/0000.html
Got date from IRC log name: 06 Oct 2016
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2016/10/06-browserext-minutes.html
People with action items: 

WARNING: Input appears to use implicit continuation lines.
You may need the "-implicitContinuations" option.

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]