Efficient XML Interchange Working Group Teleconference

23 Aug 2016

See also: IRC log




<scribe> scribe: TK

<scribe> scribeNick: taki




DP: We might want to inform the public about this publication.
... I will send a note to the list in a couple of days. I will need to to some implementation in the meantime.

<scribe> ACTION: DP to notify the public list about EXI4JSON second publication [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2016/08/23-exi-minutes.html#action01]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-737 - Notify the public list about exi4json second publication [on Daniel Peintner - due 2016-08-30].

<brutzman> when link to updated EXI4JSON draft is available, we also want to update EXI public page http://www.w3.org/XML/EXI/

DP: We now allow for dedicated schemas.
... I have not seen any updates in JSON schema github issue.

DB: They are working on draft 5.

<dape> https://github.com/json-schema-org/json-schema-spec/issues/13

<brutzman> am checking status further... the JSON Schema work can be found at https://github.com/json-schema-org/json-schema-spec

<brutzman> with background information at http://json-schema.org

DP: Let's wait and see if there are going to be any updates.

DB: They are working on stuff. I will post a link.

<brutzman> Unanswered status: "What does it take to get the JSON-Schema specification adopted by an IETF working group?" https://github.com/json-schema-org/json-schema-spec/issues/27

<brutzman> maybe this standards stuff is hard? someone has to do work...

DP: IETF is driven more by people.

<brutzman> Roger Costello asked the same question in 2014: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/json-schema/DIRRlx2w_7U

<brutzman> Latest version at IETF remains v4 https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-zyp-json-schema-04

DB: We took a look at version 4 in X3D community.

<brutzman> This expired in 2013. Nevertheless it does work, we have tested v4 extensively in the past 8 months for X3D JSON encoding. There is email on the site for JSON Schema v5 progress but nothing definitive.

<brutzman> Given that it works, but absent any other effort or progress, I think it is worth EXI listing it as informative.

DP: The next EXI4JSON might want to take a look at how we support custom schema.
... We need to decide what's the best approach.

<brutzman> Question http://www.w3.org/TR/2016/WD-exi-for-json-20160823/ is now working for me, is it stable?

DB: I will post to issue #13 (in JSON schema discussion) tomorrow.


Canonical EXI

DP: We also need to make it HTML5 compatible.
... XML schema link to options document is currently missing.
... Carine has access to EXI spec location, where we plan to put the schema.

TK: CB will probably comes back next week.

DP: The last time we discussed, I recalled CB saying that publication step rule has changed?

TK: I think last call and CR are now one together.

DP: We integrated all comments from DB, JS, TK.
... Resolved all issues.

<brutzman> There is a typo in action 713 for you Daniel, "securit" https://www.w3.org/2005/06/tracker/exi/actions/713

DB: We have action ACTION-713.


DP: Once we get to CR, we look into implementations.

<brutzman> Given imminent publication of EXI C14N, wondering if it is time to approach XML Security folks, perhaps discussion at TPAC http://www.w3.org/2016/09/TPAC/

<dape> https://www.w3.org/2016/09/TPAC/schedule.html

<dape> DP: there is Web Security IG and Web Application Security WG


<brutzman> Web Security IG is Monday afternoon, http://www.w3.org/2016/09/TPAC/schedule.html#mon


<dape> https://www.w3.org/2011/webappsec/

<brutzman> also Web Application Security WG on Thursday afternoon http://www.w3.org/2016/09/TPAC/schedule.html#thu

<brutzman> public-xmlsec list is active, member-xmlsec list has been inactive for 2 years

<brutzman> might we discuss our long-term strategy regarding XML Security parallels next week, perhaps prepare a summary for that community and potential TPAC discussions

<brutzman> example topics: adapting and applying XML Signature and XML Encryption to EXI documents

<brutzman> reference E.1 Signature Processing Steps http://www.w3.org/XML/EXI/docs/canonical/canonical-exi.html#signatureProcessingSteps etc.

DB: Do we have security considerations for either of the specs?

<brutzman> we might also need a section for Security Considerations in either of our active drafts? that section is requirement in IETF RFCs, not sure about W3C requirements...

DB: One requirement of IETF is to have security consideration section in the spec.

<brutzman> we might do well to consider such sections in the next versions of these drafts.

TK: F.2 Internet Media Type in EXI spec discusses security consideration.

<dape> --> https://www.w3.org/TR/exi/#internetMediaType


DP: I tried to validate CSS. I used CSS parser, and fixed errors in css.

<dape> https://github.com/EXIficient/exificient-for-css/blob/master/data/wsj.css#L445-L445

<brutzman> wondering, might stylesheet.xsd be renamed as exi4css.xsd perhaps?

DP: I know many people use CSS minifiers.

<dape> --> http://yui.github.io/yuicompressor/

<dape> http compression example: Accept-Encoding: gzip, deflate

<dape> https://www.w3.org/TR/exi-best-practices/#http-content-negotiation

<brutzman> just created exi4css schema documentation using XML Spy and posted it to the member-exi thread

<brutzman> YUI Compressor documentation reference "Minification v Obfuscation" says that "After minifying or obfuscating, you should GZIP." http://yuiblog.com/blog/2006/03/06/minification-v-obfuscation/

<brutzman> So it will be interesting in the test quite to compare source .css, exi4css, YUI compression, and exi4css of YUI compression

<brutzman> btw that documentation reference also says "GZIP can further reduce the size of the program. GZIP is so effective that the difference in the efficiency between minification and obfuscation becomes insignificant."

<brutzman> i think it is important to continue with this great work. it will be great to compress all formats in the Open Web Platform (OWP) using EXI.

TK: WebAssembly is working on JavaScript in binary form.

<brutzman> thanks for another great meeting!

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: DP to notify the public list about EXI4JSON second publication [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2016/08/23-exi-minutes.html#action01]

Summary of Resolutions

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.144 (CVS log)
$Date: 2016/08/23 15:40:21 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.144  of Date: 2015/11/17 08:39:34  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/look at version 5/look at version 4/
Succeeded: s/applying/adapting and applying/
Found Scribe: TK
Found ScribeNick: taki

WARNING: No "Present: ... " found!
Possibly Present: DB DP TK brutzman dape exi https joined scribeNick trackbot
You can indicate people for the Present list like this:
        <dbooth> Present: dbooth jonathan mary
        <dbooth> Present+ amy

WARNING: No meeting chair found!
You should specify the meeting chair like this:
<dbooth> Chair: dbooth

Found Date: 23 Aug 2016
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2016/08/23-exi-minutes.html
People with action items: dp

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]