HTML Media Task Force Teleconference

19 Jul 2016


See also: IRC log


paulc, markw, jdsmith, MattWolenetz, David


<markw> I was speaking, but apparently you can't hear me, so I will call in again

<scribe> scribeNick: plh

<scribe> Meeting: HTML Media Extensions Editors

<markw> Seems you still can't hear me, but it is very noisy here anyway, for first 30 min

MSE and EME timeline

Paul: Aug 2, we're doing a CfC for MSE and EME for proposed recommendations
... input for the drafts is editorial work and test suite and testing report
... also make decisions about features at risk
... we have some probability of getting MSE ready by that date
... not sure about features at risk yet
... editors will need to make recommendations to the group
... so some chances of having adequate testing results for MSE
... but for EME, we're good on editorials and features at risk, we haven't made progress on the test suite
... any question about timeline?

[none heard]

Paul: I'll target to have an editors draft on July 29 for the group

MSE test suite and testing report status

report https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-media/2016Jul/0006.html

and https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-hme-editors/2016Jul/0005.html


1. Outstanding PR on test repo should be reviewed, fixed as needed, and merged.

2. I think the test suite can be viewed as "good enough" after that, although it can certainly be improved.

3. Some features are not yet implemented across browsers. The implementation report should be updated once that is done. I'd be happy to do that once I am back to work.


Matt: I'll deal with https://github.com/w3c/web-platform-tests/pulls?q=is%3Apr+is%3Aopen+label%3Amedia-source

Paul: any ETA?

Matt: this week should be fine

Paul: can we regenerate the test results after that?

Plh: assuming we have changes in implementations


1. the on{event} attributes

2. live seekable range

3. audioTracks and videoTracks in Firefox

4. resetting the delaying-the-load event in Edge (this makes most test files timeout but note individual tests may still pass)

5. TrackDefault (feature marked at-risk)


Matt: I've seen recent activities on on{event} attribute, live seekable, and abort and duration change
... in firefox

Paul: Jerry, can we reach out to Mozilla on providing test results?
... we'll focus on those 5 and the abord duration change

Jerry: sure

Paul: features at risk


The appendStream method on the sourceBuffer object and algorithm steps that are used only by it.

The VideoPlaybackQuality object and the HTMLVideoElement Extensions that use it.

The totalFrameDelay attribute on the VideoPlaybackQuality object.

The TrackDefault object and its related objects, attributes, methods and algorithms


Paul: on VideoPlayBack, we have an issue
... appendStream, it's out, correct?

Matt: correct

Paul: for totalFrameDelay, is it tied to VideoPlayBackQuality

Matt: we'd have to take it out anyway probably

Paul: TrackDefault?

Jerry: our intent is to implement it but can't implement on the timeline

Paul: we have one implementation on VideoPlayBackQuality and TrackDefault
... can we remove them?

<markw> The tests show that VideoPlaybackQuality interface object length fails on Edge

<markw> But otherwise there are 2 implementations except for the totalFrameDelay

Jerry: we have implementations in Edge and Firefox for VideoPlaybackQuality...

Matt: we have very marginal tests for that in the test suite
... not sure if we have real interop

Paul: can you summarize the status in the bug?

Matt: sure


Paul: my recommendation is to make progress in the bug
... I'll make a decision later this week

Plh: I could look to add a test on VPQ to see if we have some interop

Paul: MSE editorial issues


Paul: a few are not assigned
... any volunteer for 99 and 98?

Jerry: I'll take those

Mark: I'll take 83

Paul: 45?
... we may not get to it

EME status


Jerry: clearKey are up and running on all browsers. Firefox is debugging that
... plan was to convert them to multi-DRM
... progress is being made
... looking at clearKey, there is a partial coverage of the spec
... coverage look decent and a good base
... next step is to get gap list and add tests
... plan at https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-hme-editors/2016Jul/0006.html

Paul: any comment on the plan?

Mark: in some cases, there are small gaps and bugs
... can be corrected with JS. should we "fix" some of the tests?

Paul: we should keep the tests as-is, but give additional info to the Director
... our test results metrics should be based on actual results but could have additional data to indicate that some tests can be fixed using polyfill

[discussion around what demonstrating implementations means]



Jerry: let's focus on editorial first



Issue 221 - This specification contains sections for describing security and privacy considerations. These sections are not final and review is welcome.


<markw> All the EME V1Editorial issues are now assigned

Summary of Action Items

Summary of Resolutions

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.144 (CVS log)
$Date: 2016/07/19 16:06:22 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.144  of Date: 2015/11/17 08:39:34  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/dead/deal/
Found ScribeNick: plh
Inferring Scribes: plh
Present: paulc markw jdsmith MattWolenetz David
Regrets: Francois
Agenda: https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-hme-editors/2016Jul/0002.html

WARNING: No meeting chair found!
You should specify the meeting chair like this:
<dbooth> Chair: dbooth

Found Date: 19 Jul 2016
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2016/07/19-html-media-minutes.html
People with action items: 

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]