Digital Publishing Interest Group Teleconference

11 Jan 2016



Dave Cramer (dauwhe), Ivan Herman, Tzviya Siegman, Nick Barreto, Paul Belfanti, Brady Duga, Alan Stearns (astearns), Charles LaPierre, Leonard Rosenthol, Markus Gylling (mgylling), Michael Miller, Romain Deltour (rdeltour), Heather Flanagan (HeatherF), Daniel Weck, Peter Krautzberger (pkra), Ben De Meester
Vlad, NickR, Tim, Luc, Laura


mgylling: next monday US holiday (Martin Luther King day)

... shall we meet?

<HeatherF> I'm available

<lrosenth> I’m fine either way...

mgylling: result: we're canceling next week.
... Jan 18.

<mgylling> http://www.w3.org/2016/01/04-dpub-minutes.html

mgylling: next up: approving minutes.
... any objections, comments?
... they're approved.

<lrosenth> recommends that we do the spring planning first...

CSS Priorities' Document

<mgylling> http://www.w3.org/TR/dpub-css-priorities/

mgylling: CSS priorities document.
... been around for a while.
... on top of that, we're trying to build a corpus of samples.
... requested from CSS working group
... not HTML samples but bitmaps, pdfs etc.
... to help them understand better.
... where do we stand?

dauwhe: status: missing in standards.
... so off radar for now.

mgylling: there were some helpers before christmas?

dauwhe: ...

tzviya: I'm still planning to provide samples of tables. florian has some other examples.
... table alignments at decimal etc.

<dauwhe> questions from dbaron as spec issues: https://drafts.csswg.org/css-text-4/#character-alignment

tzviya: how extra characters, bolding affect that.
... suggest to touch base with Florian.

tzviya: and loop Peter in for Math in CSS>

mgylling: contribs via Paul Belfanti?
... made progress on.
... should we put on hiatus?
... to finish up other things first.

dauwhe: how about proceeding with narrowest focus in the short term.
... table at-character alignment seems top priority
... focusing on that seems sensible.
... e.g. issue18
... should be answerable quickly

mgylling: how to proceed?

dauwhe: just some screenshots/photos would be a start

I'll ask around math folks

mgylling: for record, here's the link to issue 18 https://drafts.csswg.org/css-text-4/#character-alignment

<dauwhe> link to issue 18: https://drafts.csswg.org/css-text-4/#issue-078e398a

dauwhe: would be good to show we're able to continuously provide input.

Use cases for PWP

mgylling: we think the next step is more consolidated set of examples, use cases etc.
... see note.
... looking at this note for CSV and the distilled use cases and requirements, we'd like to do something similar for PWP
... having such a document to hand over to future rec-trac group, would be very helpful.
... we have both good and bad examples in the history of our IG.
... so traversing the wiki, there's lots of building blocks for building a similar note.
... expand/consolidate as needed.
... to move towards published note

<mgylling> https://w3c.github.io/csvw/use-cases-and-requirements/index.html

lrosenth good to get started. But what after that, especially towards rec-trac work.

... in particular with discussions about multiple deliverables derived from our work etc.

mgylling: seems compatible to me, since examples and use cases could fit into multiple targets.

ivan: the discussions surrounding PWP often went into several directions.
... use cases were not characterized much, were very high level, etc.
... consolidating would help a lot.
... cf. packaging vs non-packaging discussion recently was a very good example.

mgylling: we have reached out to initial editors of this document.
... kick-off set of editors.
... in particular: rdeltour, dauwhe
... any ideas on how to approach this practically speaking?

<lrosenth> I have willing to volunteer to help if rdeltour and dauwhe wish additional hands

rdeltour: have not had time to think about it. Characterization in use case wiki page. Should we follow that?

<rdeltour> https://www.w3.org/dpub/IG/wiki/UseCase_Directory

ivan: it's important to realize that PWP includes, naturally, the whole world.
... some areas may not have to be included in this document.
... e.g., CSS
... so rdeltour should have no restrictions.
... PWP should be a more technical documents, but the requirements note should include the examples etc. with much more detail.

mgylling: given the 14 sections of the use case wiki page, some might be de-prioritize.
... eg. 1 and 7. What else?

ivan: 12 (DRM)
... and accessibility
... locators, too

heatherF: volunteering.
... to reduce piling things on dauwhe.

dauwhe: example to de-emphasize: CSS; epub3.1 work on browser-friendly format

<dauwhe> BFF use cases: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ZTBiSyyIgQMXh_9Ubtep4I7TfW6Yu6l8e06-9EKaNQU/edit?ts=564ccc1a#heading=h.v0la5426mf86

dauwhe: move some of the remaining topics (remains?) over here

tzviya: existing use cases go back to when we started, pre-date whitepaper. Some might not quite yet be irrelevant but edge-case. Very little order. Take them as ideas but not good for structuring. The whitepaper's structure might be more sensible. Was planning to go into whitepaper and extracting old/changed/new use cases

lrosenth regarding pwp being a more technical document. While maybe in the future, we should not introduce technical goals etc. earlier. These are user requirements and they're not concerned with implementations.

... let's keep things separate.

mgylling: agreed. Again, the note for csv is a good example.

<mgylling> https://w3c.github.io/csvw/use-cases-and-requirements/index.html

ivan: the csv note was actually the first document produced by WG. Only not yet published in final form b/c editor is looking to tie it back into spec.

mgylling: recap. We have support for the idea. We have editors (now incl. heatherF). We have the wiki and whitepaper as starting points.
... what else do we need to get going?

rdeltour: technical question: where to write it? GitHub? Does it exist?

ivan: GitHub; I'll set it up.

mgylling: how to reach wider audience?
... to draw attention, prevent isolation.

dauwhe: summary of activity?

mgylling: could this be done via some automation?

deltour: let's also use GitHub repo issue tracker for discussion. Do activity tracking on the call every other week etc.

GitHub milestones might be useful

[that was a personal comment]

tzviya: should we set a timeline?

heatherF: yes, but in a little bit.

mgylling: get set up etc. Sounds good.

Spring F2F

mgylling: next topic: spring F2F.

tzviya: in 2015, we appended it to IDPF.
... this year, that's in Chicago.
... might be other conferences in spring.
... Chicago might be good geographically though.
... can anyone host us?

<lrosenth> we don’t have an office but we have some partners there…

tzviya: MTM a11y summit, May 16th

heatherF: SSP.
... in Vancouver
... June 3

<rdeltour> link for MTM-organised conf: http://www.mtm.se/takepart2016/

tzviya: goal: maximize people who can meet.

<ivan> +1

<pbelfanti> +1 Chicago

tzviya: ebookcraft (March into April)
... Toronto.
... not warm & too early.

<jeff_xu> warm this winter :)

<lrosenth> I guess a separate event unconnection is not an option?

tzviya: Bordeaux: 7/8 April

heatherF: Boston after May 13?

<HeatherF> Chicago on May 13

<astearns> CSS is the second week of May


lrosenth: I could host in Boston on May 9.

ivan: let's send an email to group to see if somebody else has contacts in Chicago.

Bill_Kasdorf: can ask contact.
... for hosting in Chicago.

ivan: but we're aiming for May/June?

mgylling; virtual F2Fs are nicer than than ppl might think

Bill_Kasdorf: it seems we should be able to find space in Chicago.

<ivan> trackbot, end telcon

Summary of Action Items

Summary of Resolutions

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.144 (CVS log)
$Date: 2016/01/13 05:54:26 $