TV Control API meeting - 29th September 2015

29 Sep 2015

See also: IRC log


Kaz, Daniel, Bin, Paul, SungHei
Bin Hu
ddavis, kaz


<kaz> https://www.w3.org/community/tvapi/wiki/Main_Page/Agenda_Telco_Sep_29_2015

<ddavis> scribenick: ddavis

Status summary

skim13: I asked Sean to have a look at what we've done.

I think everything I intended has been added to the spec. I changed the TV Manager as proposed in emails.

skim13: I added an event to the TV Manager. Also to the TV Channel part I added two attributes.

<kaz> action-38?

<trackbot> action-38 -- Sung Hei Kim to Propose an api spec for conditional access systems -- due 2015-09-01 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/community/tvapi/track/actions/38

skim13: Those are the two biggest changes.
... I also added the TV CI Card interface and TV CI card change event in the TV Manager part.
... Also added one enumeration.
... In the final version everything I intended was in there.

Bin_Hu: Are you planning to merge them?

skim13: I've merged them and have asked Sean to make sure I did the changes correctly.

PaulHiggs: I had a quick look - it looks good.

<kaz> Editor's draft

Bin_Hu: Let's talk about the final review.
... Comments have already been addressed so let's close action item 38

skim13: Also I proposed to removed one requirement.

PaulHiggs: Was that the decrypt?

skim13: Yes

Bin_Hu: Next is action #39

<kaz> close action-38

<trackbot> Closed action-38.

<kaz> action-39

<trackbot> action-39 -- Paul Higgs to Look into parental control -- due 2015-09-01 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/community/tvapi/track/actions/39

Bin_Hu: I think this has already been reported.

PaulHiggs: Parental control, yes, I think we're done with that one.
... It looks like suitable updates to the spec have been done.

Bin_Hu: So let's close action 39

<kaz> close action-39

<trackbot> Closed action-39.

close action-39

<trackbot> Closed action-39.

Bin_Hu: Next is 40.

PaulHiggs: There's something in the spec.
... I've not had a chance to look at it. It seems to be around the TV media stream. There's a track added to it.
... We'd discussed various approaches. I wasn't sure how it was going to look. I'll take a look at it.
... We can see if what we have got will work in practice.

Bin_Hu: Let's close action #40

close action-40

<trackbot> Closed action-40.

PaulHiggs: The other thing in that action was discussion around program data. There was a requirement program.data.detail
... The requirement said it should be possible for the tuner/EPG to make it available to the web app.
... Right now that's marked as blank in the progress doc.
... We might need a new action. It depends whether we want to keep this or how we want to handle this program.data.detail
... I think we took the requirement for the decrypt away because it's not something the web app is going to do.
... Looking at the email chain around action #40 there are various suggestions. We could have a JSON string.
... I think I've done the analysis already, it just hasn't been picked up by the editors.

Bin_Hu: Let's follow up on that.
... Let's have an action for Sean

<scribe> ACTION: Sean to verify the CAS-related changes proposed. [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2015/09/29-tvapi-minutes.html#action01]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-41 - Verify the cas-related changes proposed. [on Sean Lin - due 2015-10-06].

<scribe> ACTION: Sean to review the emails around program.data.detail and implement/remove requirement. [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2015/09/29-tvapi-minutes.html#action02]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-42 - Review the emails around program.data.detail and implement/remove requirement. [on Sean Lin - due 2015-10-06].

Bin_Hu: We need experts to review the spec and look for inconsistencies and other issues.

PaulHiggs: We intend to have this complete by TPAC, is that right?

Bin_Hu: We'd like to have a stable version. It doesn't mean nothing can be changed though.
... We also need a review some time in November. It's not a formal working group so we don't have Last Call, CR, etc.
... But my intention is to have a stable draft by TPAC and then another month to review it.
... Then, if no changes, we can publish it at the end of December or early January.

PaulHiggs: Can I propose a different schedule. We could even start a review now.
... Hopefully this would involve the entire community group and even wider.
... Then we can present it at TPAC as being close-to-finished. That could generate new input/requirements for a new generation.
... publishing things around december may not get noticed.

ddavis: People could prepare their comments in advance of TPAC.

PaulHiggs: I think the spec is good enough now.

Bin_Hu: OK, so let's start the community review on Friday before TPAC meeting.
... That would be October 23rd.
... We can then start to think about the next evolution, use cases, etc.
... Meanwhile outstanding issues could be fixed.

kaz: So we open the review now and close on October 23rd, right?

Bin_Hu: Yes and then discuss at TPAC on Monday 26th October.

kaz: So we can be flexible because this is just a community group.

PaulHiggs: We could CC the media stream people as we use some of their work.
... Whoever's working on the media stream API.

Bin_Hu: That's the HTML media mailing list.
... We can send it to TV IG, TV API CG and HTML media.
... The target is to officially publish it by the end of this year, then think about the next evolution.

ddavis: I think W3C would support this becoming a working group.

kaz: Yes, and we should include the accessibility task force.

TPAC 2015

Bin_Hu: The agenda hasn't been figured out yet and there are lots of topics for the TV IG face-to-face meeting.
... There are potentially 10 topics including updates from standards organizations.
... The whole session will start from around 9:00 to 13:00, then 14:00 to 17:00 - 7 hours altogether.
... (excluding lunch)
... That only leaves 40-45 minutes for each topic - not long.
... I want to propose to the web and TV IG a slot of 1 hour for the TV Control API.
... If they can give us 2 hours that would be good.
... I personally won't be able to be at TPAC.
... I hope that the team contacts can help with the agenda as well as the chairs.
... For the report I hope that PaulHiggs can help because he's very familiar with it and can answer questions people may have.
... After the report will be a next steps discussion - new use cases, new requirements - to gauge interest.
... Maybe PaulHiggs or Chris might be interested in moderating this discussion.
... We can discuss this offline.

PaulHiggs: Unfortunately I won't be able to make it either.

Bin_Hu: I'll contact Chris to see if he will be there.

kaz: You said that Sean may be at TPAC?
... Maybe we could ask Sean to help with the session as well.

Bin_Hu: That's a good suggestion.

kaz: Note that they'll be a developer meetup event at the same venue in the evening so people might want to move there straight after the web and TV meeting.

<kaz> dev meetup

Bin_Hu: So I'll propose time for two items: 1) Report, 2) Next steps/moving forward
... Tentatively we'll ask Sean to host the session with help from team contacts/chairs.
... Ideally it would be from 9:00.
... Or right after lunch from 14:00

kaz: We could put a request in the wiki for 60 minutes or 90 minutes. That would be helpful for the chairs.

Conference calls

Bin_Hu: I propose we cancel the next call and then we have Thanksgiving and Christmas.
... We should probably re-schedule.
... I suggest November 10th and December 8th.

PaulHiggs: I don't have a problem re-scheduling to avoid Christmas.

kaz: At least in Japan and maybe China we should be careful about the time difference because after TPAC daylight saving ends at it's a longer time difference.

PaulHiggs: From Sunday November 1st here.

kaz: We still go with Boston time right?

Bin_Hu: Yes, but in Japan it may change.

kaz: So we don't need to change the Webex schedule.

Future of TV API/Apple TV api

<kaz> scribenick: kaz

ddavis: may have seen already
... Apple made an announcement on TVML and TVJS
... TVJS looks somewhat like our TV Control API
... JS framework to extend W3C JS API mechanism
... would be helpful to see what they're doing
... could be part of the next step discussion at TPAC

PaulHiggs: think you're right
... definitely interesting
... but they don't use W3C's video element...

-> https://developer.apple.com/library/prerelease/tvos/documentation/TVMLJS/Reference/TVJSFrameworkReference/index.html TVJS

ddavis: part of TVML?

PaulHiggs: part of JS
... that's the interesting thing

ddavis: they don't use video element for their player
... part of the reasons is simplification

PaulHiggs: TVML is the series of styles
... have some productive behavior
... and TVJS is underlying mechanism
... would be standardizing it

ddavis: TVML part is also a wrapper of regular HTML/CSS DOM
... not directly related
... maybe we might want Apple to join the TV Control API work

PaulHiggs: we're focused on tuner capability
... not very much on streaming

ddavis: parental control could be applied

PaulHiggs: streaming from iTune boxes
... similar native app language like Amazon

bin: do you want to discuss this at TPAC?

ddavis: nice to raise this

kaz: might be good to have somebody from Apple

bin: should be part of the next evolution

kaz: maybe we could have this as part of "next generation use cases/services"

<ddavis> scribenick: ddavis

any other business

Bin_Hu: We need to keep the momentum going and can carry on by email.

PaulHiggs: Do we have another call before TPAC?

Bin_Hu: No

PaulHiggs: Enjoy TPAC!

kaz: We'll have a remote Webex session at TPAC.
... There'll be a big time difference!

Bin_Hu: So we'd prefer the morning session.
... Will you be able to take care of logistics?

kaz: I think so.

Bin_Hu: Thank you and enjoy TPAC.

Meeting adjourned.

<scribe> meeting: TV Control API meeting

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: Sean to review the emails around program.data.detail and implement/remove requirement. [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2015/09/29-tvapi-minutes.html#action02]
[NEW] ACTION: Sean to verify the CAS-related changes proposed. [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2015/09/29-tvapi-minutes.html#action01]
[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.140 (CVS log)
$Date: 2015/09/29 14:08:09 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.140  of Date: 2014-11-06 18:16:30  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/standardize/standardizing/
Found ScribeNick: ddavis
Found ScribeNick: kaz
Found ScribeNick: ddavis
Inferring Scribes: ddavis, kaz
Scribes: ddavis, kaz
ScribeNicks: ddavis, kaz
Present: Kaz Daniel Bin Paul SungHei
Got date from IRC log name: 29 Sep 2015
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2015/09/29-tvapi-minutes.html
People with action items: sean

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]