HTML Accessibility Task Force Teleconference

13 Aug 2015

See also: IRC log


janina, Joanmarie_Diggs, LJWatson, IanPouncey, Judy_Brewer
Cynthia_Shelly, Mark_Sadecki
Judy, joanie


<trackbot> Date: 13 August 2015

Identify Scribe http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/index.php?title=Scribe_List

Agenda Edits & Additions

<Judy> scribe: Judy

Canvas 2D Level 1 Progress -- Rich, Mark, Janina, Paul, PLH

JS: agenda mods?

All: nothing

JS: Canvas 2D update? No Rich yet. Deferred.

Transcript Support Update -- Chaals

JS: Got comments on minutes from CMN.
... he suggested we find some potential implementer before FPWD

<LJWatson> JB: Think Chaals said implementors rather than implementor.

<LJWatson> ... Also that although it would be good to get implementor support before first working draft, it isn't essential.

JB: But it's a good practice, so let's ask

Joanie: Would be potentially interested, but would be concerned about time

JS: Would be good to get confirmation of approach
... then next stage, some support in presentation engines in webkit in mozilla
... we'd need to put it into the user agents first

lw: Multiple solutions to consider, then take it to browsers

<joanie> scribe: joanie

js: I do want to note that Charles corrected regarding the W3C repository for transcript.

lw: I saw that, but we still have multiple options in the spec.
... One is marked as our suggested approach.
... I wonder if we should get to the point where the spec contains only a single approach.
... The Media task force seems like a good place to start.

js: I agree.

HTML Details & ARIA Describedat -- Rich, Janina

js: I wanted to flag the task force that there is a very deep requirements conversation going on with DPub and ARIA.
... DPub has requirements for longer text description. This is an ongoing conversation.
... We are taking a second look at all the various mechanisms which have been, or are now, being discussed.
... To date, we haven't found a solution that addresses all the requirements.
... But the old HTML details is starting to look like it might work, though it's missing certain attributes.
... My recollection of why details didn't make it into the HTML spec is lacking implementations.
... Anyone else know?

jb: I remember when that had been suggested for this particular requirement, that people had looked at it pretty closely and there were multiple problems with the implementations, including screen reader compatibility with them.
... Also the mix of information in it, which would impact discoverability along with predictability of what would happen when a screen reader encountered one.
... I would assume there has been sufficient time to address the implementation issues.
... However my impression that the mix of information in the feature and the discoverability are still issues as far as I am aware.

js: That's why we're considering the use of an ARIA role: to disambiguate the purpose of a given details element.
... This is an FYI as much as anything, namely that it is back on the table with respect to meet the needs of publishing.

lw: I don't believe those browsers that have implemented details or summary don't support accessibility.
... This is a few months out of date, so it's worth double checking.

jb: I looked longer ago than that, but my recollection is that some of the information was exposed, but other information was not.

jb + js: This is why we're going to have a meeting in the next hour (scribe addition: In the ARIA task force meeting)

lw: I'll try to be there.

js: For the contextual record, publishers are not finding longdesc sufficient because it only applies to image. They would like something that can be applied to any element.
... And while they are interested in annotations, that seems to be further out.

lw: I just wanted to add a link for the html5 accessibility support (above)

Alt Doc Update -- Shane, Liam

js: I'm eager to move forward on this. But with people on vacation, etc....

<janina> Understand, Liam! Thanks!

jb: Liam is at a conference.

Tab Panels Update -- Leonie, Et Al

lw: Brian has been doing some work to update the prototypes.

<liam> [Liam hopes to do a new alt draft next week, but might be when I get back from CSS F2F so first week of September]

lw: Beyond that, nothing to report.

Web Payments Accessibility Followup

js: There are not enough of us here to talk about this topic.
... As a reminder, please look at the proposed charters.

Bug Triage -- Leonie

lw: Nothing to report this time.

TF Open Actions http://w3.org/wai/pf/html/track

js: We don't have any open items to discuss at this time

Summary of Action Items

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.140 (CVS log)
$Date: 2015/08/13 15:35:22 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.140  of Date: 2014-11-06 18:16:30  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/multiple @@ to consider, /Multiple solutions to consider, /
Succeeded: s/wonder if we should get to the point where the spec recommends a single approach/wonder if we should get to the point where the spec contains only a single approach/
Succeeded: s/chartes/charters/
Found embedded ScribeOptions:  -final


Found Scribe: Judy
Inferring ScribeNick: Judy
Found Scribe: joanie
Inferring ScribeNick: joanie
Scribes: Judy, joanie
ScribeNicks: Judy, joanie
Present: janina Joanmarie_Diggs LJWatson IanPouncey Judy_Brewer
Regrets: Cynthia_Shelly Mark_Sadecki
Found Date: 13 Aug 2015
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2015/08/13-html-a11y-minutes.html
People with action items: 

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]