Web Content Accessibility Guidelines Working Group Teleconference

02 Jun 2015

See also: IRC log


Joshue, EricE, Makoto, Laura, marcjohlic, Louis, Kathy, David, MacDonald, James_Nurthen


<Kenny> trackbot, start meeting

<trackbot> Date: 02 June 2015

<Joshue> trackbot, start meeting

<trackbot> Meeting: Web Content Accessibility Guidelines Working Group Teleconference

<trackbot> Date: 02 June 2015

<Joshue> Scribelist: https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/wiki/Scribe_List

<Joshue> Scribenick: Louis_Cheng

New /TR Style Sheet Update 2016. https://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/35422/TRUpdate2016/

<Joshue> https://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/35422/TRUpdate2016/

MC: survey is meant to be one response per working group. most important thing we need to look at is what we want to have not broken.

Continue review of Post-WCAG 2 issues - from row 13/14 https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/wiki/Post_WCAG_2_Issues_Sorted

Quickref update

<yatil> http://w3c.github.io/wai-wcag-quickref/

EE: Will update the group on quickref with changes via email. Main type of input needed from working group will be asked after next round of usability tests and will need text, success criteria, and techniques.

<Zakim> MichaelC, you wanted to ask about WG usability testing and to ask about source of tags

EE: Usability tests will take place in the next couple of weeks

MC: Can we do usability tests with working group?

EE: There will not be formal usability tests with the working group. Something will be sent out next week for review - won't be a formal usability test.

MC: There will be value with usability testing with the working group for more comprehensive review.

EE: We can do a usability test with the working group.

<Joshue> Eric will make the test script etc available via the wiki

EE: In response to DM's question, color contrast should be passing, but will check. In the end, everything will be meeting contrast and keyboard accessible.
... There's a bug with the keyboard navigation that will be looked into.

Discussion on Summer Schedule for working group

<Joshue> https://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/35422/WCAGsummer2015/

JOC: Review the survey and indicate your availability during the summer

Continue review of Post-WCAG 2 issues - from row 13/14 https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/wiki/Post_WCAG_2_Issues_Sorted

JOC: Another survey will come up out for summer schedule after July.

<Joshue> https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/wiki/Post_WCAG_2_Issues_Sorted

<Joshue> https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/wiki/Captcha_Alternatives_and_thoughts

<jamesn> I'd like to see reCAPATCHA and reCAPTCHA reboot split in this table

<Joshue> +1 to James

<Zakim> MichaelC, you wanted to mention PF work

MC: Suggest splitting reCAPTCHA and reCAPTCHA reboot in this doc - https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/wiki/Captcha_Alternatives_and_thoughts

<MichaelC> Credential Management Level 1

JN: Row 14 - suggest putting a lower contrast ratio at the A level

MC: There was not contrast requirement at the A level since it doesn't have requirements that can be managed with "machine help." If we change, we need to explain why this approach would be different.

JN: We may not want to fail on things like white on white text since that could be a technique to hide text.

JOC: We could consider adding a new success criteria with a lower threshold for color contrast in level A

MJ: Color contrast of an icon - it may be more important to address contrast of icon against the background, rather than the colors within the icon.

<David> For icons that have text WCAG currently applies like a "F" for facebook

<jamesn> what is sufficient? We need to be careful not to require too high a contrast ratio

<jamesn> it need not be as high as it is for text only as recognizing an icon does not require as high a ratio as reading text

<Zakim> jamesn, you wanted to say I think this would be really hard to measure - what if an icon has multiple colours? How many of the colours need to meet whatever ratio in order to work?

Kathy: Icon contrast issue can be added to mobile group, but it's not related to mobile only. On desktop, there are lots of sites that use only icons w/o text description so this issues applies to all platforms.

JN: It's hard to measure the color contrast ratio for icon. For example, where there are multiple colors in an icon. We may need some sort of percentage of pixels passing w/in the icon.

JOC: Color is not the only issue for icon. Affordance is also important for the icon.

DM: Proliferation of icons and icon fonts - we should specifically address this, even possibly with failures in current WCAG (not that you're using an icon font, but that you have alternatives).

MJ: Row 16 - may want to make a distinction between single color icon (against the background) vs multi color icon (colors w/in the icon)

<David> +1

<Makoto> +1 to James

DM: Captioning is in the language of the video. If you're translating the captions of a video, that's subtitling. This is based off a discussion with a hearing organization.

<David> 2.4.6 failure

<Joshue> Continue from Row 17, Row 21 complete

Laura: Row 21 - there could be off-screen headings that are marked up as headings, but not doesn't appear as headings visually. An example is for navigation.

<Joshue> rssagent, make minutes

<laura> bye

<Mike_Elledge> Bye all!

Summary of Action Items

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.140 (CVS log)
$Date: 2015/06/02 16:30:03 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.140  of Date: 2014-11-06 18:16:30  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/: present+ Laura/present+ Laura/
Succeeded: s/Scribenick: Louis Cheng/Scribenick: Louis_Cheng/
Succeeded: s/+353//
Found ScribeNick: Louis_Cheng
Inferring Scribes: Louis_Cheng
Present: Joshue EricE Makoto Laura marcjohlic Louis Kathy David MacDonald James_Nurthen
Regrets: Jonathan_Avila
Found Date: 02 Jun 2015
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2015/06/02-wai-wcag-minutes.html
People with action items: 

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]