Digital Publishing Interest Group Teleconference

18 May 2015


Phil Madans (philm), Bill Kasdorf (Bill_Kasdorf), Peter Kreutzberger (pkra), Tzviya Siegman (Tzviya), Mike Miller (MikeMiller), Markus Gylling (mgylling), Brady Duga (duga), Nick Ruffilo (NickRuffilo), Vladimir Levantovsky (Vlad), Alan Stearns (astearns), Charles LaPierre (clapierre),  Deborah Kaplan (dkaplan3_), Patrick Keating (patrick), Paul Belfanti (pbelfanti), Heather Flanagan (HeatherF), Karen Myers (Karen_Myers),  David Stroup (david_stroup), Laura Fowler (lfowler)
Timothy, Ben, Dave, Luc, Julie, Ayla, Ivan


<trackbot> Date: 18 May 2015

<tzviya> http://www.w3.org/2015/05/11-dpub-minutes.html

Tzviya: "Any comments about approving minutes?"
... "Ok, no one noted, meeting minutes approved"

Markus: "Should we have a meeting next week?"

<clapierre> -1

<HeatherF> -1

<brady_duga> -1

<mgylling> -1

<patrick> -1


<Bill_Kasdorf> -1

<pbelfanti> -1

<Vlad> -1

<Mike_Miller> -1

Tzviya: "No meeting next monday"

<pkra> zakim +??P14 is me.

<pkra> what's the syntax again?

<pkra> Zakim ??P14 is pkra

<tzviya> https://www.w3.org/dpub/IG/wiki/May_2015_F2F_Logistics_and_Details

<pkra> thanks mgylling.

Tzviya: "Next agenda item: what do we discuss on the face-to-face. I have some details and notes"
... "Things start at 8:30. The list has grown as to who is attending. What is the protocol for entering the building - everyone's name will be on security. Go to the security desk and get a pass to go to the FOURTH FLOOR"
... "There is also going to be a webex call-in for those who wish to attend from afar."

"if there are specific dietary restrictions, let me know"

Tzviya: "We're going to start by discussing packaging. We'll talk about existing packaging options, as well as packaging from the web. We're hoping that Daniel Applequest will call in and provide more info. We'd like to discuss what will happen to packaging for epub-web."
...: "we'll be discussing functional requirements for packaging, as well as where we'll be going."
... "Then we'll ahve a short break, then discuss identifiers/identities. Bill - we're hoping that you will be able to lead us through the session. Discuss different identifiers and their usefulness. Spell out the identifiers for online/offline uses. Might be a useful exercise to take an identifier and talk through whether it meets our criteria."

Bill: "Unless there are additions, that's pretty much what's on the wiki at the moment. I will start out with my usual disclaimer. It has gotten to the point where it's at a technical level that is much farther than what I know. Ivan and ?jon? have been having most of the discussion."
...: "It's arguable that we've gotten past some of the discussion, but talking about them and knocking them off may be good."

Tzviya: "The first step is defining what we NEED in identifiers"

Bill: "Yes, your proposed agenda seems to fit the mission and the identifiers IG."

Tzviya: "Great, we'll start discussing the requirements, then any additional requirements. "
... "May be worth discussing all the identifiers to see why they are or ARE NOT useful for us."

Bill: "We dont' want to be in conflict with the annotations working group and what they are working on."

Charles: "Suggestions: On the wiki with the schedule, maybe we should have links to relevant pages and agendas?"

Tzviya: "Absolutely - but we need to write the agendas down somewhere."
...: "Next will be lunch, graciously sponsored by Hachette."
... "Then we'll be talking about CSS. We'll be hearing a summary of what the CSS face-to-face is covering and where project houdini is going/doing. And what else we can be doing to provide use-cases. What exactly do we need to be doing to make sure pagination is a foremost requirement. "
... "Accessibility is the next topic. A number of people will join us. We'll be talking about working across different organizations. They'll be working either in our WG or the BISG working group. Goal is to come away with a great-plan to work together. Goal is to have distinct action items for working together."

Bill: "Comment about distinct action items. Not just things we need to do together, but what things are in the BISG and what are on the DPUB side..."

Tzviya: "Then 30 minutes for education outreach."

<tzviya> Nick: ultimately the goal is a little bit of recruiting and making people aware of what we do

<tzviya> ...many potential members don't know/moderately aware of what W3C does

<tzviya> ...Working with Karen to create user-friendly layer on top of our documentation

<tzviya> ...For example, write a document that clarifies what acessibility documentation can do for you

<tzviya> ...I will walk through my plan, and we'll assess what DPUB IG thinks is most important to adress first

Tzviya: "Last session - addressing re-chartering. This group is up in September, so we're working on drafting a new charter. What will our group be like for the next 2 years."
...: "It's similar to what we've been doing but there is more information, and also more actions than in the past. "
... "Please read the charter before hand. The board of the IDPF will be there, as epub WEB and dpub aligns closely with them"

<mgylling> early draft at http://w3c.github.io/dpub-charter/index.html
...: "if you have anything in writing - contact Ivan. Otherwise we'll discuss more things in the session."
... "This is one of the few times we get to see each other, and it's a long day, but bring your brains with you."
... "contact Phil or Tzviya if there are food issues, or other issues."
... "Ok, there is allergies on the wiki"

EPUB 3.1 charter

<tzviya> https://goo.gl/TNvYEX

...: "As you all know the epub web whitepaper, which was one of the things we hoped to have as the centerpiece, you'll see that is the main theme to work towards."
... "What lies behind that is a collaboration between IDPF and the W3C. We're not taking ALL the steps to get to epubweb completion. 1) The building blocks aren't present yet. The 2nd is that we're still operating in 3.X time with backwards compatibility as well."
... "But, there are a number of items in the 3.1 charter that certainly has repercussions on our work in the IG and the W3C. For example, metadata and trying to see if we can harmonize epub better. We are talking about serialization forms, HTML vs XHTML. "
... "Nobody cares about XHTML on the web anymore, but people care in the epub world, as for epub 2 and epub 3 survives on the nature of XHTML. "
... "A few examples of things. The role attribute issues. Because of the speed-bump, we're not committing anythign in this charter to the role attribute, but there is enough space to work on this."
... "One of the things we're hoping to see is more established form of communication and collaboration between the IG and the epub working group. The epub group could reach out to the WG for help if need."
... "We really do need a lot of help from experts within the W3C to make sure we make the right choices. I should also mention that one of the more interesting ones - that we're not committed to completing, just researching - if you hit the table and go to 'open web platform alignment' we talk about server-friendly and browser-friendly OPF manifestation. Maybe 3.1 would be the timeframe when

we establish a version of epub that is not at all packed in a zip file, but lives on a server. Would be a different manifestation. All properties and outlines. But everything allowing for browser consumption."
...: "The OPF format, but not quite in a zip. You could have multiple manifestations. It has never taken off, never been utilized."
... "It does have alot of connections with the epub web format. The online reading. I'm sure the epub working group will be reaching out to get input on what we should be doing here."

<tzviya> nick: what would make server-side implementation different about EPUB?
...: "If you unzip, no publisher can give it "directly" But it's exploded."
... "There is a lot of transformation, so is there a better way to handle things and make them more web-ready."
... "We need to do the research to determine what is needed and should we do the work to have the new manifest."

<Karen> see you in NYC!

Summary of Action Items

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.140 (CVS log)
$Date: 2015/05/20 04:33:52 $