Auto WG Call

05 May 2015


See also: IRC log


Paul_Boyes, Dave_Jensen, Qing_An, Peter_Winzell, Ted_Guild, Adam, Abramski


action-2: https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-automotive/2015Apr/0018.html

<trackbot> Notes added to action-2 send out formal call for Editors.

action-1: http://www.w3.org/2015/04/29-auto-minutes.html

<trackbot> Notes added to action-1 Work with ted and kaz on github repository layout.

action-1: https://github.com/w3c/automotive

<trackbot> Notes added to action-1 Work with ted and kaz on github repository layout.

action-5: https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-automotive/2015May/0000.html

<trackbot> Notes added to action-5 Send f2f proposal to both mailing lists.

<pb> —Recap of Stuttgart F2F —F2F Survey —Repository Update —Security Task Force Update —Use Cases —Action Item - Review Current Spec and Make comments/issues prior to next phone meeting on 5/19

<pb> —API Editor

<scribe> scribenick: ted

Paul reviews agenda and asks for input

Qing An proposes API Editor discussion

Recap of Stuttgart F2F

Paul: basically in Stuttgart we started the WG
... explained the roles of the Business Group versus Working Group
... KDDI presented their implementation
... JLR gave a security presentation
... next steps for specs, settled on call cadence

<pb> https://github.com/w3c/automotive

Paul: regarding spec development we deferred on rearranging github repository which has since been done
... we have some prospect editors
... at what point can we consider the contents of the new repo our First Public Working Draft?

Ted: as soon as editors are settled we can get that started
... prospects were Justin Park (LG), Adam Crofts (JLR), Wonsuk Lee (ETRI) and now Qing An (Alibaba)

Paul: of the four we have two confirmations, Qing and Wonsuk
... we should check back with the other two
... we need a minimum of two

-> http://www.w3.org/2015/04/23-auto-minutes.html Auto WG F2F Minutes 2015-04-23

Peter: what about the testing part, can you elaborate?


<trackbot> action-4 -- Kazuyuki Ashimura to Recommend to the group how to create test suite -- due 2015-04-30 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/auto/wg/track/actions/4

Peter: we intend to record car data and use that as part of a test suite

Ted: yes, test data and expected results from calls to functions based on that data is certainly a part of it

Paul: any other questions about the F2F?


<trackbot> action-5 -- Adam Abramski to Send f2f proposal to both mailing lists -- due 2015-04-30 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/auto/wg/track/actions/5

-> https://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/76043/Location/ survey to schedule an interim f2f before TPAC in Japan

Security Task Force Update

ted: i received some push back on having this a joint tf between the bg and wg, preference to be one or the other. i am working on clarification of concerns and how to resolve those as both groups have expressed interest and there will be areas belonging logically to one group or the other

Action Item - Review Current Spec and Make comments/issues prior to next phone meeting on 5/19

API Editor


<trackbot> action-2 -- Adam Abramski to send out formal call for Editors -- due 2015-04-30 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/auto/wg/track/actions/2

-> http://darobin.github.io/api-design-cookbook/ Robin's API design cookbook that Adam linked to

Paul: I just sent an email to Adam and Justin to see if we can get an answer

-> https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-automotive/2015Apr/0018.html Call for Editors

Paul: I will send a deadline of two weeks for comments to the mailing list

Adam: I'll get in touch with Paul Wheller to see if he can replay his presentation on a call to get people thinking more about the details of this

Use Cases

Paul: I would like to have a quick overview of what the use cases are, are there ways they should be leveled
... Qing An, do you want to walk us through them?

Qing: we created a few use cases, discovery of apis available for a given automobile

-> https://www.w3.org/auto/wg/wiki/Use_Cases Alibaba's Use Cases

Paul: three great use cases so far, are there more you are considering?

Qing: the discovery one is not included in our current tool sets
... we will add more over time

<djensen47> Does somebody have a link handy for the use cases?

Paul: the discovery one is very clear to me, the other two are about access from mobile devices
... the way the specification is written, the web runtime gives you access to the vehicle. it does not clarify if it is a remote device or embedded in the car (head unit)

Qing: for the discovery we hope it can be added to the scope

Paul: ok, I wanted to be clear that so far we have not clarified in the spec if it is internal or remote access
... these are great use cases, I encourage you and anyone in the group to add more

Dave: Would it make sense to abstract a mobile device even further?
... Is remote access within scope?

Paul: earlier we declared it out of scope

Peter: We need to look at it from the security point of view
... OEMs will clearly view what is running on the head unit as different

Paul: This will be an ongoing discussion. We left it as an implementation choice
... we do not want to get into all the communication possibilites

Ted: user data rights and who (including devices) they want to share information with can come into play from Privacy aspect of the pending task force

Dave: Right, this isn't a new thing, there are already a multitude of ODB2 devices exporting data with different conventions
... It is an area that would be nice to have standardized

Paul: I'll send a call for comments on the current version of the spec, these sorts of questions can be raised in response


s/Ted: I had some push back on this being a joint task force, that it should be associated with either the BG or the WG. I am continuing to make the joint case based on BG & WG interest. I hope to resolve that early next week, deferred due to W3C AC meetings this week2/Ted: after editors are settled, Kaz and I can lead them and chairs through the publishing process at W3C/

Summary of Action Items

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.140 (CVS log)
$Date: 2015/05/19 17:32:13 $