W3C

Digital Publishing Interest Group Teleconference

09 Feb 2015

See also: IRC log

Attendees

Present
Charles LaPierre (clapierre), Heather Flanagan (HeatherF), Phil Madans (philm), Tzviya Siegman (tzviya), Mike Miller (MikeMiller), Rob Sanderson (azaroth),Nick Ruffilo (NickRuffilo), Karen Myers (Karen_Myers), Luc Audrain (luc), Ivan Herman (Ivan), Ben de Meester (bjdmeest), Thierry Michel (tmichel), Brady Duga (duga), Tim Cole (TimCole), AylaStein (astein), Vladimir Levantovsky (Vlad), Richard Ishida (Richard), Laura Fowler (lfowler), Susann Keohane (skeohane), Liza Daly (liza).
Regrets
Ben, Dave, Peter, Markus
Chair
Tzviya
Scribe
laudrain

Contents


<trackbot> Date: 09 February 2015

<tzviya> agenda: * Approval of last week's minutes [1]

<tzviya> * W3C publications relevant to publishing [2]

<tzviya> *i18n documentation review (Heather, Liza) [3]

<tzviya> * Document and fragment identification – A new direction for the Metadata TF

<tzviya> * Personalization use cases (Tzviya) [4]

<tzviya> * Footnote element in HTML (link to email chain) (time permitting) [5]

<tzviya> * Meeting on 16 Feb (US Presidents’ Day)

item 1 : last week minutes

<tzviya> http://www.w3.org/2015/02/02-dpub-minutes.html

No comments, minutes approved

W3C publications relevant to publishing

<tzviya> https://www.w3.org/dpub/IG/wiki/W3C_specs_for_DPUB

Thierry: document discussed 3 weeks ago, We agreed that we would publish it in a public wiki where evere one can edit it.

The second issue is about the review. there was a 2 weeks review period, but so far no feedback sent. Concerned by not enough review

Liza said she would send a reply

Heather will comment this week

<liza> I will also comment

Still open this week

liam, richard did contribute : please add to the document

in a week, pushed to the public wiki

document and fragment identification – A new direction for the Metadata TF

Ivan: issue in the white paper on identification

Discussed earlier on proper URL to documents

Finding the URL is an issue for this IG

More in EPUB-WEB

Docuement on-line going off-line, links have to remain alive

<ivan> https://github.com/w3c/epubweb/wiki/Identification

Which infrastructure to enable that?

Ivan made a write-up on the wiki page, see link

Any body should read through to improve it

comment or modify directly, or email, but discussion is expected

Liza: take a look, and will be discussed following weeks

I18N documentation review

review of typography on the web

link: [3] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-digipub-ig/2015Feb/0042.html

help prioritize the document

Liza: subject missings, page media for not web centric media

widows and orphans in international languages

some presentation may be missing

richard: next steps, suggestions helpful for layout requirements

recommendations welcome

<r12a> https://www.w3.org/International/wiki/Layout_links

arabic text, urdu text justification

<r12a> https://www.w3.org/International/wiki/Improving_typography_on_the_Web_and_in_eBooks

let know of any good articles to add to this list

missing: quotation marks in other scripts

tzviya: how to make recommendations?

richard: japanese satandard could speak authoritatively

arabic in more difficult getting the representative people

recruit people who are really experts, member of a group in that script community

any good article welcome

Personalization use cases

<tzviya> https://www.w3.org/dpub/IG/wiki/UseCase_Directory#Personalization

separate personalization in t a specific link

add-in appreciated

everibody should look into it

Brady: need real work done from the CSS WG

certains rules in writing CSS

which way to accomplish these rules?

<trackbot> Created ACTION-45 - Add information to personalization use cases [on Brady Duga - due 2015-02-16].

for CSS wizard only

<liza> User stylesheets have been removed from many browsers, no?

make it easier to use default stylesheet

based on the cascade, then very difficult to change

the default CSS removed form browser

<liza> (I'm trying to find a citation for my comment)

<liza> https://src.chromium.org/viewvc/chrome?revision=234007&view=revision

Heather: it does not necessarily work?

Brady: we need to speak to CSS WG

tzviya: gather personalization in one place

Footnote element in HTML

a lot of mail

HTML has proposed to include a footnote element

asking for a feedback from us

interaction between html element, aria role, CSS class?

Definition: that element is a footnote

<foontnote> doesn’t mean anything about placement

especially in digital space

in print product, it may vary in placement

HTML5 footnote : do we support the introduction of this element

<Bill_Kasdorf> Agree with everything Tzviya said so far, except to point out that there are other types beyond footnote and endnote. That just reinforces her points.

ivan: non publisher, what footnote brings compare to aside?

<r12a> footnote tend to have anchors

tzviya: we could propose a definition

asides implies more than footnote

BiilK: footnote are not always asides

footnote has a reference

it is a valid semantic add

add for the proposed definition

<Bill_Kasdorf> +1 to making footnote an HTML element

adding thsi element is a good idea

<NickRuffilo> +1 For HTML element

<azaroth> +0

Tim: concern in encouraging this, take away from annotation

potential end up with just that

<azaroth> +1 to TimCole

<clapierre1> +1 as long as there is a way to specify the "type" of note this is

tzviya: for very basic footnote it is sufficient

<Bill_Kasdorf> +1 to charles

then a working definition should precise that

azaroth: annotation use cases go beyond the document

author notes vs reader notes

document authors could use annotations

BiilK: footnotes are part of the text, intrinsically

<tzviya> action contact HTML for working definition of footnote element

<trackbot> Error finding 'contact'. You can review and register nicknames at <http://www.w3.org/dpub/IG/track/users>.

<trackbot> Created ACTION-46 - Contact the html wg for a working definition of footnote [on Tzviya Siegman - due 2015-02-16].

publishers and authors think as footnotes not annotations

<azaroth> To scribe my perspective: With a footnote element, there is a divide between notes added within the HTML document and those added by third parties, that might be otherwise identical in semantics, form and rendering. Avoiding two ways of doing the same thing is IMO preferable

Miscelleneous

Meeting on 16 Feb?

President ’s day in the US, most office are closed

<TimCole> not most universities

<Vlad> I am traveling next week, regrets from me

<philm> Our office is closed

<Mike_Miller> traveling on Monday

<Karen> Out on 16 Feb

<HeatherF> I'm available, but I suspect I'm in the minority.

next meeting on Feb 23rd

tzviya: F2F meeting in May, wiki page: https://www.w3.org/dpub/IG/wiki/May_2015_F2F_Logistics_and_Details

26th of May at Hachette Book Group, NYC

<r12a> http://www.w3.org/TR/predefined-counter-styles/

Richard: CSS WG published a document last week

on counter styles

codes for footnotes counters

an app implement this things

<r12a> http://rishida.net/tools/numberconverter/

all answers to automate numbering

tzviya: packaging spec!

also the linkit(?) spec

thank you

Summary of Action Items

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.140 (CVS log)
$Date: 2015-02-10 06:03:26 $