W3C

- DRAFT -

HTML Accessibility Task Force Teleconference

23 Oct 2014

See also: IRC log

Attendees

Present
Adrian_Roselli, [IPcaller], janina, chaals, leonie, ShaneM, Joanmarie_Diggs, Judy, JF, MarkS, Cynthia_Shelly
Regrets
Chair
Chaals
Scribe
Léonie Watson

Contents


<trackbot> Date: 23 October 2014

<scribe> scribe: Léonie Watson

<chaals> scribeNick: LJWatson

longdesc

CMN: News?

JB: Hoping for news soon.

canvas update

JS: Has been list traffic. Testing moving forward with Mark Sadecki.

MS: Rich and I met last week. Making progress with writing/running tests.
... We've identified all test scenarios, and have test cases for most of those.
... Questions asked about possible whether these are substantive changes to the spec. We may be able to continue, may have to return to LC.
... First need to inform acc API of location of a hit region.
... Second need to clarify what happens when focus moves to a fallback when the canvas is below the fold.

CMN: No opposition to including those things, just administrative overhead?

MS: Correct.

<MarkS> https://www.w3.org/wiki/HTML/Canvas_Task_Force/CR-Test

JB: Under what circumstances would these not be considered substantive changes?
... Also, do we know how/why these things were dropped?

JS: The task to do the forensics was assigned to me. I haven't done that yet.

<chaals> [Not really my worry, but I wonder if the group has considered moving to Process-2014 (instead of going back to last call)]

MS: Would chalk it up to human error.

JB: To Chaals comment, can we get an idea of how much process recycling we'll need to do?

MS: No, haven't considered that. Thought has been we'd move back to LC.

JB: The changes sound substantative to me.

MS: To discuss at TPAC.

<Judy> [judy: other part of the question is whether this is indeed substantive. sounds so.]

EME

action-285?

<trackbot> action-285 -- John Foliot to Foliot to update list of possible eme features at accessibility risk, and reply to tag bug. -- due 2014-10-23 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/track/actions/285

JF: The situation hasn't changed substantially in the last year, but need to check that.
... Understanding is that third party binary blobs would not be encrypted. Think we won't have an issue.

JS: There's a test suite - mentioned on last week's HTML WG call.

JF: Situation is that it's ongoing, but don't anticipate any serious concern. Due dilligence will confirm.

alt note

CMN: Results of CFC have been published.
... The heartbeat will be published.

JB: It's in queue for publication today, but along with many other documents.

CMN: Do people have bugs that haven't been filed?

JS: Yes.

CMN: Still waiting for editors?

JB: Editor requests should go through after the heartbeat has been published.

tabindex

CMN: Proposal to change tabindex documentation.

<aardrian> https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=27076

CMN: Consensus of thread discussion is that we should try to fix tabindex with positive integer value problem.

<chaals> tabindex discussion

CMN: Have created a wiki page.

<aardrian> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2014Oct/0027.html

JS: The TF is the common ground for discussions involving PF and HTML WGs. Think conversation also needs to include people involved in ePub etc.
... Also SVG and/or the joint SVG/PF TF.

CS: The issue is with values greater than 1.

JF: Another stakeholder might be WCAG.
... There is an element of authoring advice.

Beyond HTML5: accesskey

<chaals> notes on accesskey

CMN: Started updating the HTML5.1 wishlist wiki. Specifically for accesskey stuff.
... Goal is to set a pattern for getting more concrete about what we want in 5.1.
... There are other items in the wishlist that people may want to look at.
... File bugs against changes you would like made.

JS: Can you give us an overview of the value you see in access key, as opposed to alternatives like roles?

CMN: Accesskey shouldn't be used if roles and/or stronger semantics are available.
... There are functions on some websites that are used a lot, where an accesskey might be helpful.
... Current techniques require JS to provide shortcuts for user behaviour, so failures are rife.
... IndieUI is another pice of the puzzle. Standardised ways of understanding what task the user is trying to perform.

<Zakim> ShaneM, you wanted to ask how role would be linked to a key

SM: If I've assigned roles, how does that help the UA/AT make those items more accessible?

CMN: Role labelling means UA/ATs can define a standard interaction behaviour (press button etc.).

SM: Remain skeptical.

CMN: There is no ready way to bind a key command to that though.
... Hijacking the interaction isn't helpful to users. To make the UA functionality point somewhere else should be controlled by the user.
... An accesskey would provide a standardised interaction.
... Proposal is to keep accesskey, but improve the definition/use cases etc.
... Browsers need to improve accesskey implementation, that's needed to convince authors to stop writing complex JS to handle shortcuts and use accesskey instead.

JS: Think dPub people will want greater standardisation around this.

other business?

CMN: Encourage everyone to look at the 5.1 wishlist.

<chaals> things we want to add / fix in HTML 5.1

CS: I won't have time to look at the menu element in the 5.1 timeline. Should I take it off the list?

CMN: Suggest you take yourself off the list, but leave the component there.

JB: Would be good to start recruiting for volunteers. Anyone on the call?

CMN: Janina any news on date picker?

JS: We weren't certain there would be wider interest.
... Solutions would need to be wider than just accessibility.

CMN: Everyone please take a look, use the remaining 10 minutes of the hour to do it!

JS: Do we want to meet the week after TPAC?

CMN: Suggest we do meet.

<chaals> [Thanks Leonie for scirbing]

<janina> Noted, Joanie! Thanks!

rrsatent, make minutes

Summary of Action Items

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.138 (CVS log)
$Date: 2014-10-23 16:06:01 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.138  of Date: 2013-04-25 13:59:11  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/substantive/whether these are substantive/
Succeeded: s/2104/2014/
Succeeded: s/mee/meet/
Found Scribe: Léonie Watson
Found ScribeNick: LJWatson
Default Present: Adrian_Roselli, [IPcaller], janina, chaals, leonie, ShaneM, Joanmarie_Diggs, Judy, JF, MarkS, Cynthia_Shelly
Present: Adrian_Roselli [IPcaller] janina chaals leonie ShaneM Joanmarie_Diggs Judy JF MarkS Cynthia_Shelly
Found Date: 23 Oct 2014
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2014/10/23-html-a11y-minutes.html
People with action items: 

WARNING: Input appears to use implicit continuation lines.
You may need the "-implicitContinuations" option.


[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]