W3C

- DRAFT -

HTML Accessibility Task Force Teleconference

16 Oct 2014

See also: IRC log

Attendees

Present
Regrets
Chair
Janina
Scribe
Léonie Watson

Contents


<trackbot> Date: 16 October 2014

Identify Scribe http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/index.php?title=Scribe_List

<scribe> scribe: Léonie Watson

<scribe> scribenick: LJWatson

TPAC 2014

<janina> Resource: TPAC 2014

<janina> HTML-WG: https://www.w3.org/wiki/HTML/wg/2014-10-Agenda

<janina> PF-WG: http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/meetings/tp2014

<janina> Main Page: http://www.w3.org/2014/11/TPAC/

JS: Some tweaks to PF agenda based on requests.

<janina> Resource: TPAC 2014

<janina> HTML-WG: https://www.w3.org/wiki/HTML/wg/2014-10-Agenda

<janina> PF-WG: http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/meetings/tp2014

<janina> Main Page: http://www.w3.org/2014/11/TPAC/

JS: Please participate and/or monitor the agenda.
... We're expecting a certain amount of telecon participation.

DM: Will remote participation info be posted?

JS: It's already available from the URLs posted above.

Longdesc Progress

JB: Decision is not out yet. Hoping it'll be soon.

Alt Note Status

JS: We may have made progress this week. New draft from Steve that takes into account some of the suggestions made.
... It seems to be in sync with the guidance in the HTML5.0 spec.
... A lot of people want to see a heartbeat. Given new draft, seems reasonable to get a heartbeat published.
... Process would be for a CFC. If we can shave a little time off the CFC, we could push the heartbeat through.

<paulc> What is the link to the candidate heartbeat document?

JS: Might then be possible to publish on 5th Nov.

JF: Concern expressed in email to list - worried about documentation issues, but it's not a showstopper.
... Suggested two possible solutions, but open to alternatives.

PC: Do we have a document as a saveable URL?
... Liam has sent regrets for next couple of weeks, who will handle the process/publication?

JB: We can check with Michael.

<paulc> Best link is probably: http://rawgit.com/w3c/alt-techniques/c56027b5d9125b40695c7fbc128af918515273f7/index.html

PC: If the doc fails publication rules, someone will need to step in quickly.

JB: I'll speak to Michael about him stepping in, in Liam's absence.

PLH: Once we have ok from WG to publish, I canmake sure it happens as well.

JS: Thanks.
... We'd need to get the link to the stable link added, but could go for CFC.

PLH: Don't need to add the link to go for CFC though.

JF: Suggestion is for something more human readable.

<paulc> The publication URL will probably be http://www.w3.org/TR/2014/WD-html-alt-techniques-20141023/ if the publication is on Oct 23 (next Thu)

JS: It looks appropriate to me, to publish as heartbeat.

PLH: I can prep the doc for the webmaster today.

<paulc> The HTML5 reference can be updated from the June LC to the Sep PR

JS: No objections for PF/TF CFC to run in parallel?
... If that's possible, maybe the CFC could point to a version with those fixes?

PLH: Can't be sure of webmaster's time.

JS: Will note.

<David> +1 on heartbeat

Canvas 2D -- Missing requirement in the CR spec

JS: Any updates?

MS: Were scheduled to meet, had to postpone until tomorrow.

<paulc> oct 17 Canvas agenda: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-canvas-api/2014OctDec/0016.html

MS: It's been difficult to find time.
... Think we need a spec change to clarify whether hit regions will inform accessibility APIs.

<paulc> Test page: https://www.w3.org/wiki/HTML/Canvas_Task_Force/CR-Test

JS: Our assumption is that we should test as though this has been resolved. Rich has contributed test cases for this scenario.

TF Work Items (HTML.Next)

JS: Need a report from Chaals.

JB: Other people are working on other items?

JS: Yes, will be discussing at TPAC.
... Among other things, PF and SVG have a TF forming, and propose a taxonomy for graphics accessibility that will involve HTML.
... Part of time will be PF, HTML and Digital publishing to discuss new ARIA features.
... Expect discussions on aria-describedat.

<David> footnote discussion http://davidmacd.com/blog/html51-footnotes.html

JS: We have agreement for the alt doc, but it's clear there are still issues - please file bugs.

Other Business

PC: TAG has been reviewing the EME working draft.
... As a result, 3 bugs have been filed. One is a statement that EME should be as accessible as any other part of the open web platform.

<paulc> Media TF action item: https://www.w3.org/html/wg/media/track/actions/66

<paulc> See also: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-media/2014Oct/0025.html

<paulc> See the thread bugs listed in http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-media/2014Oct/0042.html

JF: TPAC 3 years ago we talked about accessibility of EME, particularly around encryption. Consensus at the time seemed to be that it wasn't a problem. Do we have work to do?

PC: In 2 out of 3 bugs I responded immediately because it wasn't clear that the TAG bugs were clear enough - they didn't rrequest specific changes.
... Didn't ask the same question of the 3rd (accessibility related) bug. If someone wh ois familiar with the situation/history wants to respond that would be welcome.

<paulc> EME bug related to A11Y: https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=27054

JB: The bug looks to me like a statement of principle.

MS: We were reasonably sure there were no accessibility implications. There were no plans to implement those features we thought would cause accessibility problems.

JB: We can look back at those features, and check to make sure nothing has changed.
... Do we have those features documented?

JF: I'll do the forensics and post a reply to the bug.

<scribe> ACTION: John Foliot to update list of possible EME features at accessibility risk, and reply to TAG bug. [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2014/10/16-html-a11y-minutes.html#action01]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-285 - Foliot to update list of possible eme features at accessibility risk, and reply to tag bug. [on John Foliot - due 2014-10-23].

JS: There are examples of encrypted content being transmitted accessibility today.
... Proof will be in the pudding though.

<paulc> There are EME implmentations today from MSFT and Google that A11Y TF experts could use to test

PC: People are welcome to ping the media WG to help test these.

<scribe> ACTION: Janina Sajka to work with John Foliot and Mark Sadeckit to test accessibility of available EME examples. [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2014/10/16-html-a11y-minutes.html#action02]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-286 - Sajka to work with john foliot and mark sadeckit to test accessibility of available eme examples. [on Janina Sajka - due 2014-10-23].

IP: There will be people in BBC R&D interested, will check with them for input.

PC: Believe BBC people are tracking the Media WG work.

JS: Reminder that we had a deadline for comments against Media User Requirements doc. We received some comments.
... Will be discussed at TPAC.
... We should be able to finalise the doc before end of year.

<scribe> Chair: Janina Sajka

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: Janina Sajka to work with John Foliot and Mark Sadeckit to test accessibility of available EME examples. [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2014/10/16-html-a11y-minutes.html#action02]
[NEW] ACTION: John Foliot to update list of possible EME features at accessibility risk, and reply to TAG bug. [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2014/10/16-html-a11y-minutes.html#action01]
 
[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.138 (CVS log)
$Date: 2014-10-16 15:55:16 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.138  of Date: 2013-04-25 13:59:11  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/lote/lot/
Succeeded: s/culd/could/
Found Scribe: Léonie Watson
Found ScribeNick: LJWatson

WARNING: No "Present: ... " found!
Possibly Present: Adrian_Roselli Cynthia_Shelly DM David David_MacDonald HTML-WG IP IPcaller IanPouncey JB JF JS Joanmarie_Diggs Judy LJWatson MS MarkS Microsoft P22 PC PF-WG PLH Resource aaaa aabb aardrian cabanier hober html-a11y inserted janina joanie joined liam newtron paulc scribenick sivoais_ trackbot
You can indicate people for the Present list like this:
        <dbooth> Present: dbooth jonathan mary
        <dbooth> Present+ amy

Found Date: 16 Oct 2014
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2014/10/16-html-a11y-minutes.html
People with action items: foliot janina john sajka

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]